Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Dog Training / Trainer

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Excellent advice, looking forward to lesson 2 on walking the dog, on/off lead, road crossing, playing fetch. And the highlight of the series exercising the dog from a bicycle.

It starts to get a bit shady from then on.
What we found with doing the basics was we ended up with really good well behaved dogs.
We didn't want extensions of ourselves so everything else was fairly 'relaxed'.

In theory on lead
Hold lead across body, with one hand above collar.
Don't let the pack animal walk in front, short sharp jolt back on the lead, to bring doggo back in line.

Off lead keep a tube of primula on you.
Ours would run full pelt when called if they thought they'd get a dab on primula with ham.

Sit at junction.
Cross
Sit again for praise and treat.

Fetch was always hit and miss.
Our lab looked at us with absolute disdain - "you threw it you get it".
But the retriever couldn't get enough - Never take ball from mouth, "sit" then "drop", treat.
It wants the game more than you do.

Never do that with a labrador.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Two biggest things I would ensure you do:

Consistency of commands: e.g. Sit means sit, down means down, off means off. As a trainer (Leeds Dog Training Club (now sadly closed)) it used to amaze me the conversations people would have to get their dog to do something, 'sit, sit, down, sit, come'on sit'. A firm consistent command is all it needs, Tone of voice as well, firm! (and can get firmer!)

Timing of reward, on a sit, as soon as the dog's backside hits the deck, treat. Have one ready, don't fumble about trying to get one out of the bag, they'll have forgotten what its for and just think you're feeding them. Also, harder things you are training or having trouble with, higher reward. Think of it like yourself, if you've achieved something, you'd perhaps buy yourself a pint or something, same with dog. If they do something they are struggling with, give them sausage rather than something less value. Pepperami is a great training aid, can be sliced thinly and smells, so you can keep in your hand and they know they're gonna get it.

Men are the worst at training dogs, or maybe actually they are worst at trying to train to train dogs, never listened and could not get a range of different tones of voice that women could.

Still train HPR gundogs and these are mantra to any of that early training, either my own or other peoples.

Important not give him the job of protection, if he thinks he has responsibility for the front door it will make him stressed. Don't feed him till you have eaten, no feeding from table and if possible make him wait for a command to eat. Basically don't spoil him give him rules and remain the pack leader. All of this can be used with children also👍

:moo:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201230_183416.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230_183416.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 49

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
https://www.caninesoul.co.uk/

A friend of mine runs this business from Portslade, round the corner from me. I have no idea how booked up she is or what the situation is covid-wise, but she's been doing it for a few years now and is very good, apparently.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Important not give him the job of protection, if he thinks he has responsibility for the front door it will make him stressed. Don't feed him till you have eaten, no feeding from table and if possible make him wait for a command to eat. Basically don't spoil him give him rules and remain the pack leader. All of this can be used with children also👍

Oooooh someone's got me on ignore. :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you're feeling a little lachrymose it might be an idea to give this 'children's film foundation' style flick wide berth:-

5436acf39be14ef4216e6c645358deaf80f172f6.jpg

When I'm ready to calm down, after my massive lottery win, I'll be easy to spot as I'll be roaming the Downs with a pack of these:-

640px-The_Maremma_Sheepdog.jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's usually the human that needs training

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Two biggest things I would ensure you do:

Consistency of commands: e.g. Sit means sit, down means down, off means off. As a trainer (Leeds Dog Training Club (now sadly closed)) it used to amaze me the conversations people would have to get their dog to do something, 'sit, sit, down, sit, come'on sit'. A firm consistent command is all it needs, Tone of voice as well, firm! (and can get firmer!)

Timing of reward, on a sit, as soon as the dog's backside hits the deck, treat. Have one ready, don't fumble about trying to get one out of the bag, they'll have forgotten what its for and just think you're feeding them. Also, harder things you are training or having trouble with, higher reward. Think of it like yourself, if you've achieved something, you'd perhaps buy yourself a pint or something, same with dog. If they do something they are struggling with, give them sausage rather than something less value. Pepperami is a great training aid, can be sliced thinly and smells, so you can keep in your hand and they know they're gonna get it.

Men are the worst at training dogs, or maybe actually they are worst at trying to train to train dogs, never listened and could not get a range of different tones of voice that women could.

Still train HPR gundogs and these are mantra to any of that early training, either my own or other peoples.

Interesting what you say about men. My experience with friends and borrowmydoggy is many women think of their dogs as "fur babies" or "my princess" and treat them accordingly - dog all over the top of the sofa, sleeps on the bed, fussed and cosseted all the time. Then the dog ignores most commands, is poor with other dogs in lots of situations and unruly. When I walk the dog I try to be calm and more leader/friend but as you say it's consistancy, I only see them here and there so while I've bonded well with the dogs I've found it frustrating and fruitless to try and get better behaviour from it. My fur baby :sick::sick:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
My wife booked a course at the dog trust in Shoreham for our Sproodle. Probably locked down at the moment though

We took our cocker there. Didn't help much tbh, still mad as a box of frogs.

Might be the dog or my Mrs and youngest aren't too good at controlling him. 😎

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
There'll be a surge in demand for new rescue centres in 12 months time with all these oodle owners realising that dog ownership is not a doddle (or a doodle), especially when they all return to work.

It went from sight hounds, then staff types as the majority in rescue centres. It will now be the middle class designer oodle crosses.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here