Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Dog Attacks - time for licensing again?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'm a dog lover. Never had my own but I support someone with mobility problems to keep their dog (a cockapoo) exercised. There have been rather a lot of dog-killing-humans attacks recently in the news. Are too many fecking idiots allowed to keep dogs? (I don't blame the dogs just really stupid, stupid people who keep them).

We talk about lack of gun regs in America but there have been rather a lot of dog incidents in the UK recently. I helped walk this dog in a really shitty part of Hangleton and came across neighbours who had dogs aswell as quite severe mental health/ substance abuse/ frankly very low IQ issues and also witnessed a German Shepard off leash attack a small poo, unprovoked.

Now yet another dog attack in the news. Distressing. Should something be done? What's wrong with licensing?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Don’t really understand what the license would do or how it works ?

To many f*** wits owning dogs with no clue

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How about requiring licenses for certain breeds of dog? With possible training required, and a limit on breeding?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
There is now zero point in certain breeds of dog, they serve no purpose in modern society, a bit like f***ing wolves. I would outlaw the breeding of any dog breed considered a ‘weapon’ by these single digit IQ cretins walking around with them.
I genuinely question the purpose of any dog in a modern society. The uses earlier civilisations had for them all have alternatives.
Robotic guide dogs have even been invented.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, 100%. Stupid move to scrap them in the first place (althoulgh at five bob a pop they were a bit of a joke). £100 per year and compulsory DNA registration (so that any dog shit left in a public place or on a playing field could be traced back to the owner with a non-negotiable £250 fine) ...... I'm in! Bring em back now.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I genuinely question the purpose of any dog in a modern society. The uses earlier civilisations had for them all have alternatives.
Robotic guide dogs have even been invented.
Companionship for the elderly, children can learn empathy, compassion, responsibility and duty of care with an appropriate pet such as a dog. They can also be used, when appropriately trained, as a deterrent in home security. They can function in service as guide dogs (robotic guide dogs are absolutely not reliable or proven in any way, shape or form at present) and as emotional support animals. They can be transformative for people suffering with grief, depression, anxiety, PTSD and for people who are not neurotypical.

They directly save lives in service for the police, army, prevent drug smuggling at airports and events.

But apart from that… people like them. They are friends for many people.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
How about requiring licenses for certain breeds of dog? With possible training required, and a limit on breeding?
We definitely need to bring back licences but breed-banning is effectively useless. For example, none of the dogs that killed the dogwalker in London recently were ‘dangerous breeds’ and so many dogs interbreed, that proving a dog is a dangerous breed can be really problematic

There is the Dangerous Dogs Act but it is woefully inadequate - it needs over-hauling completely and a licensing system brought in that requires the money be spent on addressing the behavioural issues of certain breeds that result in biting people, dog training (and dog-owning people training) support for people on low incomes, free sterilisation/neutering, removal of pets from unsuitable homes/owners (ie those with records of domestic violence, child neglect/abuse etc) and a stricter reporting system with tougher sentencing of people that have physically or emotionally mistreated/abused dogs - ie ban for life and if appropriate, heftier fines.

IMO A healthy dog is only aggressive in the hands of aggressive owners.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We definitely need to bring back licences but breed-banning is effectively useless. For example, none of the dogs that killed the dogwalker in London recently were ‘dangerous breeds’ and so many dogs interbreed, that proving a dog is a dangerous breed can be really problematic

There is the Dangerous Dogs Act but it is woefully inadequate - it needs over-hauling completely and a licensing system brought in that requires the money be spent on addressing the behavioural issues of certain breeds that result in biting people, dog training (and dog-owning people training) support for people on low incomes, free sterilisation/neutering, removal of pets from unsuitable homes/owners (ie those with records of domestic violence, child neglect/abuse etc) and a stricter reporting system with tougher sentencing of people that have physically or emotionally mistreated/abused dogs - ie ban for life and if appropriate, heftier fines.

Yep, pretty much that - maybe licences graduated on the size and weight of the dog And maybe dog attacks being treated as charges of ABH, GBH and even manslaughter against their owners. You want to keep some sort of devil dog to make you look hard? - OK sunshine - but there may be consequences you don't like......

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Some of the large, powerful dogs I see routinely in close contact with toddlers just make my blood run cold. "Eee wouldn't 'urt a fly, soppy fing" is the usual "justification", before it turns and chews a babies face off.

I find it sickening that people put such pathetically blind trust in an animal with jaws that could crush a skull. An animal does NOT know right from wrong, and can turn in an instant. We see it time, and time, and time again. This time its a little 4 year old girl who has had the most horrific, agonising, gory, terrifying end to her young life you could ever imagine.

I've brought up 2 kids, and at no point have they been left in the presence of an animal with a maw that could take them out in an instant. I could never forgive myself. I just could not place THAT level of trust in a dog around my kids (and now grandkids). Ever.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some of the large, powerful dogs I see routinely in close contact with toddlers just make my blood run cold. "Eee wouldn't 'urt a fly, soppy fing" is the usual "justification", before it turns and chews a babies face off.

I find it sickening that people put such pathetically blind trust in an animal with jaws that could crush a skull. An animal does NOT know right from wrong, and can turn in an instant. We see it time, and time, and time again. This time its a little 4 year old girl who has had the most horrific, agonising, gory, terrifying end to her young life you could ever imagine.

I've brought up 2 kids, and at no point have they been left in the presence of an animal with a maw that could take them out in an instant. I could never forgive myself. I just could not place THAT level of trust in a dog around my kids (and now grandkids). Ever.
Lots of dog owners totally agree with that.

A young child might yank the tail, try to sit on the dog like a toy or interrupt it eating or sleeping. Then it instinctively reacts.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
What would be the conditions of a license? No mental health problems & enough money to pay for the license?
Or you're only allowed certain breeds and the bigger the dog the higher cost for the license? The 'dog license' meant nothing apart from it was registered to you. It's law that your dog has to be chipped & have a tag now, it's no different to a dog license. It wont make any difference unless compulsory training for owners was introduced, at which point I would fail & my dog would be put into kennels as he doesn't have immediate recall if there's a nice smell at a tree and he can see you. He's scared of the cat & I can take any treat from him, he's never touched any food if it's fallen on the floor from when my kids were young let alone their plates. I'd never trust any dog 100% , the only dogs I've ever been bitten by were a Cockapoo & Pomeranian & a miniature labradoodle cross the other week. Not all the other week obviously, just the labradoodle cross likes to randomly go for peoples shoes!! :unsure:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lots of dog owners totally agree with that.

A young child might yank the tail, try to sit on the dog like a toy or interrupt it eating or sleeping. Then it instinctively reacts.
Exactly. This is the thing. A child could quite easily accidentally poke a dog in the eye - and it takes a second. One split second for disastrous, irreversible consequences to instantly occur, in particular with these powerful breeds.

I've ended up in several bitter arguments over this with dog owners/lovers who will swear blind its impossible for their mutt to ever turn like that on a toddler. "Blame the owner" is usually the cry that goes up when it happens (again). Yeah, great. When you're mopping up the entrails of a small child in a hallway.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It comes down to the owners.

Not even in the training aspect.

More knowing what your breeds nature is like.

There's a reason why you don't see Afghan Hounds in stories about biting children's faces.

It's because Afghan owners know don't let little kids be up in their faces.

Perfect example is Greyhounds.

So many of the johnny come lately pet greyhound owners who think they are an expert on the breed after owning one give out some absolutely abysmal advice to new comers to the breed totally over looking that they are a purpose bred hunting dog.

They aren't in anyway experts in the breed and base everything on their one dog.

Had many an argument with these types of people when they spin bullshit that the dogs are all peaceful and non-aggressive and wouldn't hurt a fly. Say it's humans forcing them to chase things that makes them do it.

Ignore the 4000 years of hunting lineage that came before their beloved pet.

Then the dog acts just like a Greyhound and they are shocked that Fred has had a chew on some small creature that got their drive pinging.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs

I'm a dog owner and we need all of this plus greater enforcement around breeding. The current system does not work as scant resources are wasted enforcing ineffective legislation. If we have to pay a higher cost then so be it.

And I will happily back other comments on children and dogs. Children cannot be trusted to behave in a grown-up way around dogs so they need to be kept at a distance.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
No self respecting drug dealer should be without a killing machine. It goes with the territory.
We used to have a labradoodle. (Porky the incontinent wonder dog). She was he most passive creature that I've ever come into contact with. There was one particular dog that, when Porky saw it, she would go homicidal. Completely unprovoked. The owner must have thought that Porky was a killing machine.
Porky was actually called Esther, but she did all of her thinking with her stomach. I swear that she would have crossed the M25 for a Rice Krispie ! Esther was also incontinent. Hence 'Porky the wonder dog'.

Last edited:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
We should stipulate which dog breeds are allowed, cause the halfwit aggressors will always come up with a new breed / strain.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yep, pretty much that - maybe licences graduated on the size and weight of the dog And maybe dog attacks being treated as charges of ABH, GBH and even manslaughter against their owners. You want to keep some sort of devil dog to make you look hard? - OK sunshine - but there may be consequences you don't like......
there's part of the answer, the owner taking personal criminal responsibilty of the dogs actions. and that includes heavy fines for letting them shit in the street, paths and verges.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here