Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doesn't look good for the terrorist Mandela

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Definition of Terrorist

What Nelson Mandela done (one of many things)

Nelson Mandela = Terrorist. No ifs or buts about it. You can't say he is a freedom fighter, he is a terrorist. He fits the definition of one. Remember, everybody that commits terrorism is doing it because they feel as though they are fighting for the good cause.

Difficult to argue with that.

Mandela's detractors are at least coming across as apologetic / defensive. Time was when his opponents had no problem describing themselves as "white supremacists". Mandela himself deserves much of the credit for that shift in opinion.

And that's a good point.

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
"Doesn't look good for the terrorist Mandela"

Every now and then I dip into NSC to find out the latest news on my team. I often dip out again hoping that the red necked, Daily Mail reading misogynists that spout drivel on here aren't reflective of the majority of our supporters :facepalm:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Every now and then I dip into NSC to find out the latest news on my team. I often dip out again hoping that the red necked, Daily Mail reading misogynists that spout drivel on here aren't reflective of the majority of our supporters :facepalm:

They are not, they just drone on and on loudest and most constantly. They certainly don't represent the Brighton I know, which unfortunately feels embarrassed by NSC for the very reason you suggest.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Oi, plenty of us detest, deride and regularly diss the Daily Mail!

Lies, damned Lies and the Daily Mail - there you go!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oi, plenty of us detest, deride and regularly diss the Daily Mail!

Lies, damned Lies and the Daily Mail - there you go!

To be fair David you are one of the sanest and most balance posters on here (excluding your imaginary friend of course, but that is another (several other) thread).

We also need to recognise that the ANC, under Nelson Mandela's leadership, was fighting to achieve a non-racial society - a cause that should be celebrated, however difficult it is to achieve.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Definition of Terrorist

Nelson Mandela = Terrorist. No ifs or buts about it. You can't say he is a freedom fighter, he is a terrorist. He fits the definition of one. Remember, everybody that commits terrorism is doing it because they feel as though they are fighting for the good cause.
I think you've just outlines exactly why to some/most of the world Mandela WAS a Freedom Fighter - although I accept if you supported the Aparthied regime then yes, he was a terrorist. It all depends on which side you were on. It's a bit like to us the French Resistance were freedom fighters, but to the Vichy French they were terrorists.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Definition of Terrorist

So a terrorist is not necessarily a bad thing?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I think you've just outlines exactly why to some/most of the world Mandela WAS a Freedom Fighter - although I accept if you supported the Aparthied regime then yes, he was a terrorist. It all depends on which side you were on. It's a bit like to us the French Resistance were freedom fighters, but to the Vichy French they were terrorists.

Indeed. But whilst they were fighting in an admirable cause, and were finally respected as heros, their acts were those of "terror", under SOE leadership to Churchill's orders to "Set Europe Alight". To my undertanding, most of the French military were against them after the Armistice, which is why we had to support a junior General called De Gaulle. Indeed, with the expectancy of an invasion, a large infrastructure was set-up in this country with the intention of fighting the anticipated German occupation with acts of "terror".

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Definition of Terrorist

Using that definition you'd also call the French freedom fighters of WWII terrorists which shows what a stupid definition it really is.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Definition of Terrorist

Ok.

free·dom fight·er
Noun
A person who takes part in a violent struggle to achieve a political goal.

Ergo, Mandela = Freedom Fighter. No ifs, no buts. You can't say he is a terrorist, he is a freedom fighter. He fits the definition of one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here