Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Does the NUFC deal change TB's position?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
At the risk of a flippant comment, I doubt Newcastle will sell too many shirts in Yemen.

Would you want to go and see a team bought with blood money and on the back of environmental destruction ... ok I do get that it's quite easy to be sanctimonious about this sort of thing, no accumulation of wealth is without question. But the Saudi's .... is there anyone lower?

What's depressing is that many Newcastle fans are massively happy that a (comparative) pantomime villain Mike Ashley is being bought out by actual Saudi villains. It's absolutely desperate.

I'd like to think we're better than that, but you've seen how much bile is aimed at the club over something as little "being near the bottom of the Premier League". Remember, people turned on Dick Knight within 10 years of saving the club...

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Who honestly would want their football club owned by people that live in a country that still chop peoples heads off . Horrendous . Would rather they keep their money and not be like Man City .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
TB has said many, many times that he wants to hand the club on to his kids.

I can't see NUFC's ownership will change his mind on that

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If the PL is bought up by squillionaires then I’d rather we dropped a league and kept it real.

I wouldn’t want BHA to be some Saudi prince’s plaything.

This, this, with added bells and bunting.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good questions.

As mega rich state trust funds and overseas multi billionaires gradually buy up the remaining PL (and large Championship) clubs, it will increasingly difficult for the others to compete on the pitch.

Various press reports say that NUFC will have a transfer kitty of £200m in the next window (that's almost our entire PL spending over 6 windows), and will make a move for Pochettino.

I don't ever see TB giving away any more than 25% control (a key proportion in company law terms), so hopefully for us, his more prudent player budget strategy comes off.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Good questions.

As mega rich state trust funds and overseas multi billionaires gradually buy up the remaining PL (and large Championship) clubs, it will increasingly difficult for the others to compete on the pitch.

Various press reports say that NUFC will have a transfer kitty of £200m in the next window (that's almost our entire PL spending over 6 windows), and will make a move for Pochettino.

I don't ever see TB giving away any more than 25% control (a key proportion in company law terms), so hopefully for us, his more prudent player budget strategy comes off.

FFP fun to come then.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
What's depressing is that many Newcastle fans are massively happy that a (comparative) pantomime villain Mike Ashley is being bought out by actual Saudi villains. It's absolutely desperate.

I'd like to think we're better than that, but you've seen how much bile is aimed at the club over something as little "being near the bottom of the Premier League". Remember, people turned on Dick Knight within 10 years of saving the club...

Yes, indeed they did.

Whilst I love TB and we are all indebted to him because without him we almost certainly would have had no Amex and no PL football.

But without Dick Knight there would never have been a BHAFC for Tony Bloom to buy. Fans should never forget that.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
OP.

Is this what you want to happen? A Saudi (or similar) take over followed by several mega signings.

Or would you prefer things to continue as they are with TB in charge?

100% stay as we are, I enjoyed watching us at Kidderminster Harriers as I do at Old Trafford, King Power or anywhere else, my concern and question is about TB's investment and the future of EPL football with a procession of big hitters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have no idea about my own money, wealth and financial liability, let alone Mr Bloom's.

But I will wager my left testicle on the fact there's no way Our Tony has invested a whopping 25% of his wealth in the Albion.

You don't get to be that wealthy by making the kind of decision I would make.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Man City fans don't seem to have too many qualms about ownership of their club. Same as the fans of every other PL club with, er, INTERESTING foreign ownership :shrug:

Indeed. The fans have absolutely no say in who owns their club other than choosing not to support them anymore. Which isn't really a choice for most of us.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No individual will be as wealthy as a petrostate, but so what ?

If it turns out that 20 sovereign wealth funds own all the PL clubs it doesn't matter. There is no joy in supporting teams like that, and if it means we are the best of the rest then that is a great achievement.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If the PL is bought up by squillionaires then I’d rather we dropped a league and kept it real.

I wouldn’t want BHA to be some Saudi prince’s plaything.

Thats the right attitude.

Unfortunately to a lot of fans the "there's only one Saddam"* thing would apply to owners as well.

*Redknapp backs Pochettino for Arsenal: “You think the fans wouldn’t love him there? If you go in there and start winning, they would have taken Saddam Hussein in there when he was about, the fans don’t give a monkey's! If you start winning every week, they’re singing ‘there’s only one Saddam’.”

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I have no idea about my own money, wealth and financial liability, let alone Mr Bloom's.

But I will wager my left testicle on the fact there's no way Our Tony has invested a whopping 25% of his wealth in the Albion.

You don't get to be that wealthy by making the kind of decision I would make.

What did happen to your right testicle again?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Yes, indeed they did.

Whilst I love TB and we are all indebted to him because without him we almost certainly would have had no Amex and no PL football.

But without Dick Knight there would never have been a BHAFC for Tony Bloom to buy
. Fans should never forget that.

There would've been, no way would we have folded, much smaller clubs than us have survived down the years.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Question 1: Will the premier league be completely bought up by more and more wealthy groups and syndicates making it noncompetitive for the "fan" owners and will they be cast into the EFL wilderness?

Question 2: Because of this should he cash in some or all of his chips?

Answer 1: Long term unfortunately this is already the case, as a sole owner can make it to the promised land, but very few have the personal finances to stay and establish themselves and then ultimately compete with the top six, neigh on impossible.

Answer 2: Is actually two questions in one, which ultimately depends if he has the finances available to take that step further and want to be part of taking us there. If he does not, then outside investors are required to achieve the goal. If he feels he does not have that spending power, and content being a yo yo club or just hold are own through shrewd investments (which ultimately will fail, it always does) and does not want to relinquish power, he’s here for ever (I’m happy with this option).

Ultimately we are not an investment type club, we’re little Brighton, so multi zillionaires are not going to come knocking down Mr Blooms door anytime soon, especially in the current environment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here