Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
bbclicensefee.jpg

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Didn't realise Germans had to pay an internet licence. How much is that per year??

from Google

A German court has ruled that all internet users in the country must pay TV and radio license fees, even if they do not use the web for videos and audio.

The Constitutional Court ruled on Tuesday that everyone with a computer connected to the internet in Germany must pay television and radio license fees. The move comes just a few months before the system is changed to one levied per household.

As of 2013, the license fee will be replaced with a flat fee of €17.98 per month to be paid per household regardless of what equipment there is or how much television or radio is received.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I don't watch much telly but the radio stations are wonderful value for money.

Are they though? let's say 10 million people each pay £145.50 per year for a license... That's one billion, four hundred and fifty-five million quid!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Given the range and scope of its media output it is incredible value for money. Only downside is the numerous corporate knobs on overinflated salaries included in it's management.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Without the BBC (and regulation of broadcasting) most of our news would look like Fox News. It has the FL show on my laptop for me when I get up on Sunday morning. And the very existence of the BBC pisses off Rupert Murdoch, Paul Dacre and various other noxious, right-wing, swivel-eyed, crypto-racist, ****wits.

All this for less than £3 a week.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I consider I get far more value out of the £100+ per year that I pay for mostly quality stuff I get from the BBC than from the £50+ per month I pay for the hundreds of channels I get from Sky which for the most part is utter garbage, things you have already seen 15 times before or similar.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
wouldnt happen in Germany.

Didn't realise Germans had to pay an internet licence. How much is that per year??

It's an all-in-one communications license for TV, radio and internet; you have one or more of these you pay. I cannot remember exactly but around €20 a month, €240 a year.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
They do have a commercial arm which may help fund the American football coverage in your example.

Versus SKY and Virgin it's excellent value for money and of course no breaks in programmes for pesky adverts!

It's value for money for you because of all the other people who are forced to pay £120/year to watch one or two shows on their TV.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Here is one grumble. Why can't i listen to BBC Sussex in north london? Technology is there and widely used and the BBC have incurred the cost already. Would love to listen to a match or other discussions occasionally. And no, i dont use the clubs website as it really winds me up

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It was clear the number plate wasn't a coincidence ...

really? you think they went out to find a particular number plate on a Porsche 928, out of the ~2000 made (worldwide)? or maybe they saw it, had a giggle and thought to base an entire episode around this inevitable joke?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think it's utterly ridiculous that in this day and age there is a state television channel (to which you HAVE to subscribe) that is funded by an annual tax on the possession of a TV set. It has to change. I know the more staid, conservative and reactionary members of NSC will disagree.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Here is one grumble. Why can't i listen to BBC Sussex in north london? Technology is there and widely used and the BBC have incurred the cost already. Would love to listen to a match or other discussions occasionally. And no, i dont use the clubs website as it really winds me up

Regarding match commentary its a Football League rights restriction. I may be wrong but I think FA cup commentaries may be allowed.

As for BBC Sussex regular programming, yes you can listen to it nationwide via website and BBC apps for tablet/phone.

I don't know about DAB radio outside broadcast area.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
£120? Where did you pluck that figure from?

If you are referring to the TV licence, there is more to it than just TV.

Sorry, £145. It's gone up.

I realise that there is more than just TV that is on offer, but not everyone wants £145 worth of BBC media, and would rather just pay for what they use, which seems to work for most other commodities in the economy.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I think it's utterly ridiculous that in this day and age there is a state television channel (to which you HAVE to subscribe) that is funded by an annual tax on the possession of a TV set. It has to change. I know the more staid, conservative and reactionary members of NSC will disagree.

Indeed, and what is worse it is a criminal offence if you don't pay, which means (effectively) that the BBC criminalises the poor. Dealing with transgressors has a huge effect and cost on the legal system, and therefore the Taxpayer.

Once the law is changed and non payment becomes a civil offence (a socially progressive step) I suspect many will cease to pay the fee (myself included), and this will force the BBC to change and rightly so.

Its good to see that the BBC has so many supporters, they will need certainly them in future.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I consider the licence fee to be the most 'value for money'cost of the year. I listen to Radio 2 all day at work, Radio 5 in the evenings, when I watch telly its usually BBC1 or BBC2, and really get most of my news coverage from them, so well worth the fee for me

Far better value than Virgin.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I could say that it's ridiculous that I have to pay for state education system if , I either have no children or they are privately educated, or I chave to pay for Trident replacement when I don't agree with a British nuclear deterrent but as part of society I accept you can't only pay for what you agree with, and if I don't pay the portion of tax for these services, it is a criminal offence

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Indeed, and what is worse it is a criminal offence if you don't pay, which means (effectively) that the BBC criminalises the poor. Dealing with transgressors has a huge effect and cost on the legal system, and therefore the Taxpayer.

Once the law is changed and non payment becomes a civil offence (a socially progressive step) I suspect many will cease to pay the fee (myself included), and this will force the BBC to change and rightly so.

i can see your point here, and im not sure that it should be a criminal offence. i wonder though if you think rail fares should be treated the same, changing from criminal to civil? it struck me as odd the other day that we criminalise rail dodging.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here