Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does One Direction's new song sound like The Who

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Yes, I mentioned this to the wife the other day when the song was on TV. Just as the intro for 'What Makes You Beautiful' is a blatant retread (sped-up) of 'Summer Nights' :thumbsup:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Pete Townshend must cringe at the thought of One Direction ripping off a Who classic. In the old days Roger Daltrey would want someone's blood.

But maybe they might challenge One Direction to play it properly live or pay The Who some £'s for their trouble.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
This is nothing new Breakspear. Artists have been doing this for decades. One of my favourite rock riffs, Layla by Derek and the Dominoes (played by Eric Clapton) is just Midnight Blues sped up. And while learning guitar I discovered that the riff for Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams is just the intro to John Lennon's Woman played backwards. If any of you are guitarist, try it and you'll see what I mean.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
This is nothing new Breakspear. Artists have been doing this for decades. One of my favourite rock riffs, Layla by Derek and the Dominoes (played by Eric Clapton) is just Midnight Blues sped up. And while learning guitar I discovered that the riff for Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams is just the intro to John Lennon's Woman played backwards. If any of you are guitarist, try it and you'll see what I mean.
Yes, I agree with you, I was just answering the OP :)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Say what you want about One Direction but Harry is shagging all the hot booty around so who is laughing ?

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
The Rolling Stones sued for 100% of the royalties for the Verve's 'Bittersweet Symphony'. I imagine Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend will be taking 1D to the cleaners.

They claimed 100% of the royalties from Carter USM's After The Watershed just because it contained the line "Goodbye Ruby Tuesday". A ridiculous claim for just one line in a song.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
:ffsparr:
Clearly you're no musician, and if you were you've obviously never tried to play any of The Who's music.
There are 33 different chords in Pinball Wizard alone.

Guess who said this:

"No! I like the single. I like One Direction. The chords I used and the chords they used are the same three chords we've all been using in basic pop music since Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran and Chuck Berry made it clear that fancy chords don't mean great music – not always."

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
What really upsets me about One Direction is that The Times chose to make some spotty nonentity wearing lipstick the subject of its page one lead photo this morning. Actually, I suppose I'm upset with The Times. Or perhaps I'm upset with myself for being over that paper's target age band of between 12 and 16. Whatever.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I had a little look on Twitter after reading an article about the whole #RIPLarryShippers stuff. Christ, the 'Directioners' are creepy on there. Amazing how many devote their young lives to anything and everything 1D. As for 42 alleged suicides over the documentary, thankfully that sounds like utter guff.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I'm not singling out One Direction, but I find it a sad reflection on this country in general, that people with so little talent can make so much money and become so famous. And that's across the board not just aimed at pop stars (I won't call them musicians, because half of them can't play music of any sort). In a country where Jade Goody can become famous by being thick (no disrespect as she didn't deserve to die so young) and Katie Price can be a role model to girls. You really have to worry where the country is heading.

It sounds a bit like it but only about 2% as good. Listen to the live version on the "Kids are Alright" album. Perhaps we can come back to this thread in 40+ years time and discuss if people are still listening to songs by One Direction?

Unfortunately the kids don't know any better, but we won't get fooled by it.

Would love to have seen them in their pomp when Moon was still around (saw the late '80's version with Kenny Baker - good but not as good I am sure) - one of their tours had Lynyrd Skynyrd supporting I believe. Hopefully we won't get fooled again by boy bands ripping off the greats - the kids are alright but not as good as Daltrey, Townsend, Moon and Entwistle. Perhaps the whole thing will be a legal matter between the 'OO and One Direction. I don't like it when bands fiddle about with classic rock songs, there is no substitute for the real thing.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There are loads of songs that sound similar to others, I can think of these two

[yt]XH332wYtO6w[/yt]

and if you go to 42 seconds in on this
[yt]SSR6ZzjDZ94[/yt]

Or how about
[yt]ymPu2PdLW3I[/yt] [yt]U2aIsj8lcik[/yt]

I don't think it makes Nirvana a blatant rip off, there may be some recognition, a hat tipped to the other, or with Robbie even maybe a bit of irony, no-one asks us to like the 1D song, it's pop music, most of us are too old for it anyway, let the kids enjoy it, and who knows, they might discover the Who on the back of it, and all will be well in the world.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
3mnkR5g.jpg

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Simon Cowell is an absolute master at making money by selling crap to naive kids. I've stopped sending him a birthday card now, and I expect he's gutted ??? ......... or perhaps he's not!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here