Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Does Graham Potter get enough praise

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
In the final days of Hughton's reign there was a debate on these pages regarding the quality of football.

Many claiming they would rather we were relegated playing attcking football than endure what we were seeing at that point.

I was amongst the Hughton supporters, predominantly because I didn't feel it was just for a man who had overseen two successful campaigns and taken us to a Cup Semi-final to be sacked.
I didn't think it would be possible to transform the way we played, without suffering relegation.

Well I was wrong.
What has happened under Graham Potter has far exceeded my expectations.
I daresay it has also exceeded the expectations of many fans who were happy to see the back of CH.

Hats off to Tony and Graham Potter.
Lots of belief shown by both of them, to make the necessary changes.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
Love the brand of football. We get credited by pundits and fans of other clubs due to our style of play. Need to be more clinical, but from a coaching and footballing style perspective I couldn't be happier.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What's most incredible is the way that he's transformed the team, while not spending a huge sum of money (by PL standards). It's not easy to completely implement a new way of playing in a short space of time (just ask Frank de Boer) but he's worked wonders.

All teams in the division know they'll be in a game with us - and that didn't happen under Hughton

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The football he has us playing is incredible but the quality of player he has at his disposal is masking a lot of the good work he has done.

If you gave Potter a couple of top quality players like a Jiminez or Jota I genuinely believe we would reach Tony’s ambition of top 10 with him.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think that GP following CH was as important as TB following DK.

Much as I'm absolutely delighted with what we've got and where we are, I can't imagine we'd be as good, or as far, if either of those had been the other way round ???

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What's most incredible is the way that he's transformed the team, while not spending a huge sum of money (by PL standards). It's not easy to completely implement a new way of playing in a short space of time (just ask Frank de Boer) but he's worked wonders.

All teams in the division know they'll be in a game with us - and that didn't happen under Hughton

Well said. Given how meticulous Potter is I've no doubt that he had a good idea of the players who would need shipping out (at the right time) and the gaps where new players were needed. I wonder how much he knew about the younger players coming through, or which wise old heads he consulted before joining us. He has been superb so far, even if I didn't agree with his team selection vs Spurs

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think that GP following CH was as important as TB following DK.

Much as I'm absolutely delighted with what we've got and where we are, I can't imagine we'd be as good, or as far, if either of those had been the other way round ???

Very well said.

el punal

For those Potter knockers who constantly moan about our Graham’s style, coaching, team selection et al, and who expect immediate success, just remember this :

A certain Alex Ferguson was appointed Man Utd manager in 1986. He won absolutely nothing in his first four years as boss. What he did was ship out the unfit, lazy, unmotivated players. He stopped the atrocious drinking regime prevalent among the senior players. He set a template for developing the younger players within the club and bought astutely in the transfer market. In 1990 he won his first major trophy - the FA Cup. From there on in his team won everything during his long tenure.

Now to compare Graham Potter to Alex Ferguson is indeed stretching credibility somewhat. What is similar is that Tony Bloom has set his stall out by seeing Potter as a long term investment for him to build a team worthy of our status in the Premier League. Ferguson was also given the time to mould Man Utd into the dominant force of world football. Patience is a virtue, a watchword, in these hire‘em/fire‘em times. Already Potter is receiving plaudits for pursuing his plan of playing attractive football but, at present, without the rewards. These rewards will surely come. In the meantime let’s enjoy what’s on show and support both Graham Potter and Tony Bloom for their vision and direction in taking our club to new heights.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Oh, and in case I forgot, he has balls the size of Watermelons.

No strikers ? 3 strikers ? 5 centre backs ?

He's Graham Potter, he does what he wants,
He's Graham Potter, he does what we waaaants :albion2:

(wine may have been taken)

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Certainly not. Especially when I cannot ever recall us having a full team - with injuries and suspensions regularly - to choose from in his spell so far. I think if he got his hair cut like Peter Wright (the darts player) or was South American, he'd be treated like a God - by media and fans. As it is, he's fairly content to go under the radar and build up a solid reputation slowly like Dean Smith at Aston Villa but without big money sums to spend on players. That end product can be frustrating but only because the build-up play is intricate and great to watch. Proud of Potter - especially after ruffling a big team's feathers today.

Good thread, Icy Gull. :thumbsup:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
for the revolution he has overseen at the Albion?

As far as I’m concerned, with TB’s backing, he has performed a fecking miracle. Yet some seem obsessed with the fact that we are not climbing the table enough, and are not really progressing

I have never enjoyed watching the Albion as much as I have over the last season and a bit :shrug:

Results mean everything to some but quality of football is much more important to me

What think you?

And it would have been nice of BT Sport to give him the respect of a live post match interview today rather than allow a top six manager make a point.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone who Spence & TSB will happily drive from the club must be doing something right.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
A bit more pace and quality upfront we’d be top 8 playing this way

We have moments like today with backs to the wall but also moments of running rings around the very best

I love watching us now , the pundits love watching us , opposition managers say we’re great , what’s not to like [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
On the Bielsa scale - no.

On the human scale - probably.

If IF the Albion get a run of decent results with wins, I don't think it'll take much before we're drowning in:-

'Ive always said he was great'.
'Future of English management'.
'Will be on the radar of big clubs'.

Blah de blah de blah.

Wind the clock back to after the Burnley game and it was the complete opposite

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I have no doubt within the club everybody has every confidence.

I think there are a minority of idiots on here who will harp on about not scoring goals, or getting a proven striker or being doomed to a relegation struggle again.

Personally I have always had every faith and feel quietly confident, and I suspect many others would feel the same.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Oh, and in case I forgot, he has balls the size of Watermelons.

No strikers ? 3 strikers ? 5 centre backs ?

He's Graham Potter, he does what he wants,
He's Graham Potter, he does what we waaaants :albion2:

(wine may have been taken)

Id quite like that chant for him!

NotABrightonFan

Sep 21, 2019
Probably because he's not a big personality in interviews etc. I think he doesn't get enough credit in some aspects but when he's managing a team which from a points POV is not doing that well, then unless you watch Albion every week, the work he has done is probably not as obvious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here