Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone still eat tripe these days?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It looks a bit suety.

Suet is the lardy stuff used for the pastry in a steak & kidney pie, & also for making fat balls for bird feeders I think. I'm genuinely scratching my head as to what you were looking at that resembled a Yorkshire :)

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Can understand the French eating it, on the basis they will fecking eat anything, but you would have to be starving, which I guess was the only reason for eating it.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Mmm, tripe!

tripe.png

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Pajata, a traditional dish from Rome, refers to the intestines of an unweaned calf, i.e., fed only on its mother's milk. Soon after nursing, the calf is slaughtered, and its intestines are cleaned, but the milk is left inside. When cooked, the combination of heat and the enzyme rennet in the intestines coagulates the milk to create a thick, creamy, cheese-like sauce.

:sick:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Tripe -pah!

The Greeks have a liking for bowels as I found out when I was in Crete last Easter

Kokoretsi - is a traditional Greek Easter dish consisting mainly of seasoned lamb or goat offal

Ingredients:

The guts of two lambs including spleen, heart, lungs, sweetbreads etc.
2 caul fats
2 kilos of lamb bowels (intestines)
Oregano
Salt
Pepper

Directions:

The entrails are washed and cut into small pieces, about 6 cm.

After draining the offal, add salt, pepper and oregano and begin skewering them, putting one piece of liver, heart, kidney, lungs etc. In between two or three pieces, add a piece of caul fat.

When finished, wrap it in caul fat and pin one end of the first bowel in the one side of the spit and lengthwise to the other side. You do this backwards and forward several times and then wind the intestine around the skewer. If the bowel reaches its end tie it with the end of the next bowel and continue to wind until all bowels are wrapped and no guts are visible.

Kokoretsi is then ready to roast over charcoal together with the Lamb on the spit.

You shouldn’t start close to the fire but on the upper position, so that it cooks well inside and when it’s half cooked you can bring it closer to the fire.

Baste it often with ladolemono, which is the same mixture of Ladolemono (olive oil, lemon and oregano) prepared for the lamb

collage-kokoretsi.jpg

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Indonesia Cows and goat testicles popularly called torpedo are also consumed as satay or soto. Due to its rarity the testicles are among the most expensive offals.

:sick:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Tripe -pah!

The Greeks have a liking for bowels as I found out when I was in Crete last Easter

Kokoretsi - is a traditional Greek Easter dish consisting mainly of seasoned lamb or goat offal

Ingredients:

The guts of two lambs including spleen, heart, lungs, sweetbreads etc.
2 caul fats
2 kilos of lamb bowels (intestines)
Oregano
Salt
Pepper

Directions:

The entrails are washed and cut into small pieces, about 6 cm.

After draining the offal, add salt, pepper and oregano and begin skewering them, putting one piece of liver, heart, kidney, lungs etc. In between two or three pieces, add a piece of caul fat.

When finished, wrap it in caul fat and pin one end of the first bowel in the one side of the spit and lengthwise to the other side. You do this backwards and forward several times and then wind the intestine around the skewer. If the bowel reaches its end tie it with the end of the next bowel and continue to wind until all bowels are wrapped and no guts are visible.

Kokoretsi is then ready to roast over charcoal together with the Lamb on the spit.

You shouldn’t start close to the fire but on the upper position, so that it cooks well inside and when it’s half cooked you can bring it closer to the fire.

Baste it often with ladolemono, which is the same mixture of Ladolemono (olive oil, lemon and oregano) prepared for the lamb

collage-kokoretsi.jpg

Jesus christ..it looks like an autopsy.
Ive been sticking to fish lately. ..prefer a bit of mercury in my diet.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption

It really is, this is their strapline:

"Looking for an inexpensive and nutritious food that’s rich in vitamins and high in protein - but not too fussy about the taste? Step this way!"

So basically they are saying it tastes like crap but is nutritious! Genius marketing. Maybe the should team up with Quorn, something equally unpalatable and disgusting.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It really is, this is their strapline:

"Looking for an inexpensive and nutritious food that’s rich in vitamins and high in protein - but not too fussy about the taste? Step this way!"

So basically they are saying it tastes like crap but is nutritious! Genius marketing. Maybe the should team up with Quorn, something equally unpalatable and disgusting.

I think if you read it in greater depth, it's actually a piss take. Look at the Jobs section.

This thread is disgusting and fascinating in equal measure. I never knew what "head cheese" was until now. I mean, if you'd asked me, I'd have had a guess, but my answer wouldn't have been anything to do with beef :ohmy:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I think if you read it in greater depth, it's actually a piss take. Look at the Jobs section.

This thread is disgusting and fascinating in equal measure. I never knew what "head cheese" was until now. I mean, if you'd asked me, I'd have had a guess, but my answer wouldn't have been anything to do with beef :ohmy:

Haha yes i think it is a pisstake.

Tripe Facts And Tips

In the 1920s, there were something like half a million tripe shops in Lancashire and an estimated 2,000 tripe shops and restaurants in Wigan alone!
Plagued by infestations of cockroaches, rats or other household pests? Simply leave a bowl of tripe out overnight and in the morning, hey presto, problem solved. The pests are either dead or guaranteed never to return
Prisoners of the Spanish Inquisition were forced to either eat tripe or be burnt at the stake. Many chose the latter
Tripe juice is an excellent cure for a hangover
A diet of tripe can increase your libido by up to 400%
To cure hair loss, simply wrap a sheet of tripe around your head and secure with a swimming cap
The first tripe takeaway, Tripe Hut, opened in Manchester in 1979. It closed the following year

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In Lancashire, there does appear to be a genuine dish called Spaghetti alla Wiganese, which is spaghetti with tripe :lol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I ate tripe soup when out in Poland a few years ago, from a roadside cafe.

I just saw the word "Fleki" on the menu and thought I'd try some of that, didn't know what it was.

The Polish girls what were with us thought it was hilarious, but wouldn't let on why.

What turned up, was some sort of vegetable soup, with bits of tripe floating in it. I ate it all, wasn't that bad.

My Dad was raised on tripe and onions as a kid. There is a recipe for it in Delias Frugal Food, of which I have a copy :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here