[Brighton] Does anyone live at the Marina? (in a flat rather than on a boat)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Built by Barrett would definitely put me off.
I’ve worked doing maintenance on some of the older flats and would not want to live there.

I lived in a small house from 1999, we were the second owners, on a Bovis/Barretts development. The external and internal walls were all studwork with a single sheet of cheap plasterboard. A nightmare for DIY, it was a standing joke about the poor build quality, owners spent more time filling holes in the plasterwork after picture hanging disasters than creating things. Add pug (not the dog) stained brickwork and the proverbial builders rubble hidden just below turf.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think Evan Ferguson moved out of his host family digs into Bissouma old flat in the Marina after his new contract if that helps - I think Tony has a few flats there

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I lived in a small house from 1999, we were the second owners, on a Bovis/Barretts development. The external and internal walls were all studwork with a single sheet of cheap plasterboard. A nightmare for DIY, it was a standing joke about the poor build quality, owners spent more time filling holes in the plasterwork after picture hanging disasters than creating things. Add pug (not the dog) stained brickwork and the proverbial builders rubble hidden just below turf.
I worked on one of their new build developments in the late 90s, definitely the worst site I’ve been on…..they had a very odd way of organising the build.
Luckily I wasn’t there from start to finish but saw enough to never want one of their properties.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I worked on one of their new build developments in the late 90s, definitely the worst site I’ve been on…..they had a very odd way of organising the build.
Luckily I wasn’t there from start to finish but saw enough to never want one of their properties.

I know tradesman who work on the huge new estates being built between Worthing and Tangmere. They say taking shortcuts on quality, orders from above, is rife. R4 have covered this, new owners are fighting to get major faults fixed.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I know tradesman who work on the huge new estates being built between Worthing and Tangmere. They say taking shortcuts on quality, orders from above, is rife. R4 have covered this, new owners fighting to get major faults fixed.
So depressing. Shortcuts/faults such as what?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So depressing. Shortcuts/faults such as what?

The cavity bridged by dropped debris such as pug stuck to wall ties, creating damp issues.
Not using insulation materials giving the u-values specified to building reg’s, giving cold rooms. Relying on spot checks not finding out what’s hidden below floor or in cavities.

Then real stories to the BBC.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46302905#
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-65843974

Finally, the houses sold on a leasehold arrangement scam. Would’ve been freehold in any other era, but long leasehold used so that rip off management fees and ground rent can be charged ad infinitum. Purely there to give super profits.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Also, before you commit, check out the Council Tax band - I understand its in a higher band than equivalent size properties in older parts of B&H.

On the plus side, it's handy for the Undercliff, our prehistoric raised beach, the remains of a subsea railway line and a regionally important surf break.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Also, before you commit, check out the Council Tax band - I understand its in a higher band than equivalent size properties in older parts of B&H.

On the plus side, it's handy for the Undercliff, our prehistoric raised beach, the remains of a subsea railway line and a regionally important surf break.

Close to Concorde 2, Yellowave, Sea Lanes and coming in 2073 a 10,000 seat international standard ice arena at Black Rock.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Swerve

a mate rented there a while early mid 90's, like most builds of the late 80's and 90's. You can hear an ant farting 2 rooms away. if its a leashold, I'd avoid like the plague.

it's hardly a good location. But that's personal.
My boy lived there for a while and said exactly this. He was glad to move out.
Perhaps my boy's your mate?!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
And there definitely used to be a NSC member on here who owned a flat down there but I'm uncertain whether he's still on here. I don't know his username or I'd @whatever him.
So you remember he was a fine young thing and where he lives but not his name? Typical man - boff and forget.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I was seeing a rather lovely young lady that lived there many many years ago, at the time it was great, but I would rather live in downtown Baghdad than the marina now, very few shops, shit restaurants and full of degenerates!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
23 years ago I visited one of the apartments in the marina for one night only to boff some fine young thing.
All I heard through the early morning was the sound of rigging clanging against mast.

Which I find very soothing along with the sound of screeching seagulls.
Oh and the apartment was very nice. That's all I can contribute.

I had a very similar experience 22 years ago. Her name wasn't Charlotte, was it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I might splash on some cologne and head down the Marina…..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports