Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone here think Trump is a safe bet for Pres?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.jpg

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Just seen the video on the news. Her collapsing is a pretty big problem for her. Her refusal to talk later about what had happened compounds the problem. Her really not looking well of late (bloated/oedema? Steroid induced?) is a further problem still. For the first time ever I'm starting to wonder if Trump might pull this thing off. Christ. All imo, ofc.

Hadn't realised that there have been rumours about her health for some time but it was being dismissed as right wing conspiracy nonsense. This looks more serious and will add loads of fuel to the fire. Everyone will be watching her like a hawk now and as you say for the first time I have a worrying feeling things might fall nicely for Trump ..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All The Don has to do is go about his business in a calm and rational manner.

What could possibly go wrong.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
If populist politics can pull off Brexit there. No reason to doubt the Trump can pull this off. Its modern politics, say what people want to here

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If populist politics can pull off Brexit there. No reason to doubt the Trump can pull this off. Its modern politics, say what people want to here

Modern politics? Shirley a political rule through the ages has been tell the people what they want to here ... or scare the bejesus out of them to get the required result.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You're of course right but my view it seems to be getting more extreme

It does look like many people are finally getting fed up with the political class/establishment who only seems to reinforce the status quo and serve some sections of society. It's up to the mainstream parties to come up with credible leaders and policies which actually deliver or else people look to the extremes for solutions. Trump being one example but also see the rise of far right/left groups across Europe when the people aren't being listened to.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
For some time an investing site I subscribe to has forecast a Trump victory. Convinced me a few weeks ago to have a ton at 7/2. Odds certainly looking better now.

Their point is that HC looks wooden and establishment and it will be difficult to maintain the 'don't vote for a looney' message going until Nov. People will tire of it. There are similarities with Brext vote: the 'establishment' wants a result, and by establishment I mean the intellectual, artistic and business elites as well as political. There is a populist 'If everyone that I am not wants a vote one way, why would I vote that way' message here that is very similar to Brexit. The weight of non white and Republican turned Democrat vote may well just get HC over the line, but it is likely to be close.

The commentator on investing site makes two points about Trump election: 1) that there is a similarity in the fear factor to Ronald Reagan being voted in. But once in office Reagan migrated to the art of the possible, he changed his views according to the real world he faced; 2) Senate is less powerful than House of Commons but it is possible indeed likely that a Trump presidency will face problems getting looney policies like Mexican wall through. There is only so much he would be able to do by presidential decree. In short, the prospect of a Trump presidency is less alarming than many make out. He has indeed already mitigated some of his 'policies' such as Muslim immigration.

Despite this, it is difficult to see a Trump presidency ending well; he is bombastic, impatient, disrespectful, ignorant and arrogant. But he might get in. There is a Machiavellian point that this might help us in Brexit talks. I am not advocating populist movements but it will probably do us no harm for wins in anti EU votes in successively: Austrian presidency (once the glue problem sorted); Hungarian vote on immigration; anti Renzi in Italian constitutional vote. And then there is Le Pen. She will get to second round; can't see her winning but a strong performance will really rock EU. Wilders will almost certainly head the biggest party in Dutch elections next May and AfD will get seats in Bundestag next autumn. Trump winning may well give stimulus to all these (albeit there is a chance of the opposite: if the Anglos vote populist,we won't).

Interesting times....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Donald Trump Jr compares Syrian refugees to Skittles

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37416457

_91310041_dd42910b-b182-47a0-a41a-08a6099b68e1.jpg

This is great:-

Skittles controversy
In the US, each year, you are far more likely to die due to choking on candy than due to a terrorist attack by a refugee

1 in 3,408 chance of choking to death on food
1 in 3,640,000,000 chance of being killed by a refugee in a terror attack

Source: US National Safety Council, Cato Institute

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Hilary - 8/15
Trump - 13/8

Too close for comfort. I know a couple of US based people that are horrified at the prospect of Trump getting in.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Hilary - 8/15
Trump - 13/8

Too close for comfort. I know a couple of US based people that are horrified at the prospect of Trump getting in.

So would I be! She is the lesser of two very poor candidates in my view.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
It's amazing what having billions in the bank can do for a political career - a career which, as far as I can see, is based on a man that can buy anything or anyone he wants deciding that today he wants to be the President and feed that massive toupee-topped ego. Never mind the years of service to his community as some low level politician, working his way up - just fast track to the white house, where he will find a 'How to run a country' book on his arrival.

I almost feel grateful for the crop of politicians that we have.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well you have to understand what the analogy actually means before you can relate it to the refugees. As he states it, even if it was just skittles and nothing else, I would not understand.
No you have to understand this entire election makes no sense not just the Skittles :lol:

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
the hillary has dementia/mental illness etc has gone way too far.

I genuinely found a republican publication the other day claiming that she was DEAD and her body double is going to run for president only for her to resign and hand it to her VP.

Ffs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here