Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone here think Trump is a safe bet for Pres?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol: :facepalm:

[tweet]784580118207422465[/tweet]

CuPpjz9W8AQ2zxd.jpg

[tweet]784764563170422784[/tweet]

There’s no longer any way for Republicans to boot Donald Trump from the ballot

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-ballot/?postshare=8581475936416269&tid=ss_tw

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A possible way that the Republicans could still rescue this is being mooted on social media. Trump to stand down and Pence to take the nomination. These last revelations have wounded Trump's chances more than any other and he does now look like it's a major scandal too many so the Republicans probably have nothing to lose and it would throw completely the Democrat plans on winning the election. Pence is relatively scandal free and pretty central on most issues so would be a safe bet for President. And a good reason on why Trump might throw in the towel is that I don't think he wants to be President anyway. It's all been a massive ego trip but it's clear that he's tiring of all this now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A possible way that the Republicans could still rescue this is being mooted on social media. Trump to stand down and Pence to take the nomination. These last revelations have wounded Trump's chances more than any other and he does now look like it's a major scandal too many so the Republicans probably have nothing to lose and it would throw completely the Democrat plans on winning the election. Pence is relatively scandal free and pretty central on most issues so would be a safe bet for President. And a good reason on why Trump might throw in the towel is that I don't think he wants to be President anyway. It's all been a massive ego trip but it's clear that he's tiring of all this now.

Aren't most of the ballot papers closed now though? I know that in US law, it's possible to write in a candidate who's not on the paper but I can't see enough people doing that for Pence

EDIT: Just had a look and the ballots have closed in every state. How they handle replacements is done according to state law but in some of them, Trump's votes would not automatically go to Pence. I think it's too late to swap now unless Pence could win by an absolute landslide

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Aren't most of the ballot papers closed now though? I know that in US law, it's possible to write in a candidate who's not on the paper but I can't see enough people doing that for Pence

And someone's just put me right on Pence. He's virulently homophobic, he thinks it's okay to force gay people into conversion therapy.

In answer to your question, I bow to your better knowledge but surely if a candidate drops out then there has to be some sort of way of a party being able to offer a replacement. Maybe there's no guidance on this because it hasn't happened (?) Your comment about writing in a latecomer sounds like the sort of thing that specifically addressed a previous election.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And someone's just put me right on Pence. He's virulently homophobic, he thinks it's okay to force gay people into conversion therapy.

His policy on gays caused a big business boycott in Indiana - conferences cancelled and Salesforce pulled its office out of the state. It's not gone well

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Pence is relatively scandal free and pretty central on most issues so would be a safe bet for President.

If Pence is a centrist, then I'm an Adelie penguin. He's a far-right theocratic loon.
Politically he's to the right of Trump. He was added to the ticket in the first place to placate the God-botherers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Trump can't be removed because votes have already been cast.

It's all in the Washington Post article in post #305.

As for Mike Pence, the correct phrase is:-

'Oh he's that guy'

After mucking about this does get to the point of Pence:-

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Because of the way the Electoral College works, Trump can be replaced very easily, without a single ballot being re-printed, or whatever. And someone can be elected President without their name appearing on the ballot at all. In the 19th century, ballots didn't necessarily have the names of the presidential candidates printed on them.

What the vast mass of voters votes for, is a slate or list of presidential electors, who are pledged, or bound by state (i.e. not Federal) law, to cast their votes for the candidate they have thrown in with.

The actual candidates on a US presidential ballot are a number of names (3 for each party in DE, VT and WY, 55 in CA, etc) of people most of us don't know, who were chosen at a state party convention to act as electors for their state.

The name of the person they're pledged to vote for in December is technically just a convenience to the punters, so they can vote for the one name they've heard of.

All the electors on the winning slate do -- usually -- is gather in the state capital in December and vote -- usually unanimously -- for the candidate to whom they are pledged.

Those votes -- 4 from Maine, for example -- are then transmitted to the Federal Congress, and are counted in January. That process is detailed here.
Congress shall be in session on the sixth day of January succeeding every meeting of the electors. The Senate and House of Representatives shall meet in the Hall of the House of Representatives at the hour of 1 o’clock in the afternoon on that day, and the President of the Senate shall be their presiding officer. Two tellers shall be previously appointed on the part of the Senate and two on the part of the House of Representatives, to whom shall be handed, as they are opened by the President of the Senate, all the certificates and papers purporting to be certificates of the electoral votes, which certificates and papers shall be opened, presented, and acted upon in the alphabetical order of the States, beginning with the letter A; and said tellers, having then read the same in the presence and hearing of the two Houses, shall make a list of the votes as they shall appear from the said certificates; and the votes having been ascertained and counted according to the rules in this subchapter provided, the result of the same shall be delivered to the President of the Senate, who shall thereupon announce the state of the vote, which announcement shall be deemed a sufficient declaration of the persons, if any, elected President and Vice President of the United States, and, together with a list of the votes, be entered on the Journals of the two Houses
If the deep-red electors of, say, Mississippi, their slate having won the November election, gather in Jackson in December and vote for Pence, or anyone else non-Trump, the worst they're guilty of is a violation of state law, or a civil suit. Since the Republicans also control the state legislature there, even those sanctions wouldn't necessarily apply.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This could finally be the thing that screws him with so many of his own party now saying they wont vote for him. Probably wishful thinking though. :shootself
How many times though? I genuinely don't believe anyone even considering voting for him will be suprised by this.

Wouldn't be suprised if there's some juicy off air stuff from The Apprentice knocking about.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
US election: More top Republicans drop support for Trump

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37599111

Condoleezza Rice: "Donald Trump should not be president."

I have a question for our American cousins:-

'Why didn't Ms Rice run for President'?

If possible can that be answered without using hindsight.
Obviously now, from the outside looking in, she would appear to be the obvious candidate when put up against a load of spinless nimrods and The Donald.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You know you're phucked when Robert De Niro wants to punch you in the face.

You know when left wing liberal retard celebrities are phucked when the people they openly support are responsible for killing thousands upon thousands of foreign citizens all the time yet that's not as bad as the things Trump has done apparently.

American Liberals are the biggest hypocritical phuckwits on the planet.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Problem is the people that support Trump are the kind of retarded redneck bozo's that don't see anything wrong with date-rape and derogatory comments against women. Sad but on the whole, true.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You know when left wing liberal retard celebrities are phucked when the people they openly support are responsible for killing thousands upon thousands of foreign citizens all the time yet that's not as bad as the things Trump has done apparently.

American Liberals are the biggest hypocritical phuckwits on the planet.

Yep, I agree, but it is funny seeing Trump get the abuse that he gives everyone else. Both are worrying but for different reasons. It may be better for the world if Trump wins and makes the US impotent on the world stage for a few years whilst it collapses in on itself.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Yep, I agree, but it is funny seeing Trump get the abuse that he gives everyone else. Both are worrying but for different reasons. It may be better for the world if Trump wins and makes the US impotent on the world stage for a few years whilst it collapses in on itself.

On the other hand..if Trump was shot that would really screw the gun-lobby. And the Republicans could use him as a "martyr-figure" like JFK. Watch your back Donald...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Republican members of the House railing against Trump are mostly from swing districts

CuVNT05WAAAvXtL.jpg

[tweet]785118735543767040[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here