Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Does anyone have experience of asset tracking systems?

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Early stages but wanted to get a head-start and see if anyone can recommend (or reject) any asset tracking devices?

Looking for global coverage, not sure if GPS / Bluetooth etc. at this stage.

Items would be shipped and returned over a timespan of weeks or months.

Probably looking for real-time / near real-time tracking to be able to see the exact location of the items for scheduling purposes, stuck in customs etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Bump - is this a topic that NOBODY on NSC has any experience of?

🤷‍♂️
Missed it the first time. I have some experience & knowledge.

Both BT and GPS have significant black-out zones.

How big are the assets you want to track? How many at a time? How essential is it you don’t lose track of any (as opposed to ‘keeping track of 90/95/99% is ok”)?

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Missed it the first time. I have some experience & knowledge.

Both BT and GPS have significant black-out zones.

How big are the assets you want to track? How many at a time? How essential is it you don’t lose track of any (as opposed to ‘keeping track of 90/95/99% is ok”)?
Thanks for your reply.

I would say large - heavy wooden crates at least 1m x 1m x 1m for example (I can get specific sizes if you need things accurately.

Multiple boxes sent as a shipment but depending on cost only 1 box would need to be tracked as we have never had individual crates from a consignment go missing, this is more to know if they are stuck in customs somewhere or not yet started the return journey from the storage location despite being requested to send back to base.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for your reply.

I would say large - heavy wooden crates at least 1m x 1m x 1m for example (I can get specific sizes if you need things accurately.

Multiple boxes sent as a shipment but depending on cost only 1 box would need to be tracked as we have never had individual crates from a consignment go missing, this is more to know if they are stuck in customs somewhere or not yet started the return journey from the storage location despite being requested to send back to base.
Couldn’t you use simple luggage tags (apple airtags or cheaper equivalents) ? They have a long battery life (at least a year) and are pretty accurate.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Couldn’t you use simple luggage tags (apple airtags or cheaper equivalents) ? They have a long battery life (at least a year) and are pretty accurate.
Maybe, my knowledge of them is limited (plus old and probably out of date) as I thought they used BT and needed to be picked up by other users to provide updates.

I will investigate, thanks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe, my knowledge of them is limited (plus old and probably out of date) as I thought they used BT and needed to be picked up by other users to provide updates.

I will investigate, thanks.
No….the AirTag sends out a secure Bluetooth signal that can be detected by nearby devices in the ‘Find My‘ network. These devices send the location of your AirTag to iCloud — then you can go to the Find My app and see it on a map. The whole process is anonymous and encrypted to protect your privacy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Early stages but wanted to get a head-start and see if anyone can recommend (or reject) any asset tracking devices?

Looking for global coverage, not sure if GPS / Bluetooth etc. at this stage.

Items would be shipped and returned over a timespan of weeks or months.

Probably looking for real-time / near real-time tracking to be able to see the exact location of the items for scheduling purposes, stuck in customs etc.

Thanks!
Wouldn’t it be easier to hire a PI to find out who she’s having an affair with?

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
No….the AirTag sends out a secure Bluetooth signal that can be detected by nearby devices in the ‘Find My‘ network. These devices send the location of your AirTag to iCloud — then you can go to the Find My app and see it on a map. The whole process is anonymous and encrypted to protect your privacy.
That's what I meant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here