Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone else have an inspirational Albion match that ....

Reinelt 62

Jul 5, 2003
.... turned you from being a casual, go along with my Dad on the odd occasion type of supporter, into a die hard who would bleed blue and white stripes?

Exchanging some words with Royal Ali on a different thread reminded me of mine.

It was the long snowbound winter of 1962/3 and Albion were plummeting headlong to the old Division 4, when we played at Reading. George Curtis had just resigned as Albion manager, we had played about 6 more games than anyone else in the League because only the Goldstone was cleared of snow, and we were only just above the relegation zone. Reading were just above us but also deep in trouble. Somehow some way we won 5-4.

Alas it was not enough and we duly got relegated, but that was THE game for me.

Anyone else had a similar "Road to Damascus" experience, or was it love at first sight, or a gradual thing?

blueandwhitearmy

Oct 29, 2004
Bevendean
too rite, they buy the replica shirts, give it all the talk and how many games do they go to? - none

there is one other brighton fan in my whole sunday team, absolute bollocks!!!

as an inspirational match, I have always supported the albion but as i am only 16, the last game at the goldstone is probably the most inspirational one for me, the emotions and atmosphere will never leave my memories.

:down:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
blueandwhitearmy said:
too rite, they buy the replica shirts, give it all the talk and how many games do they go to? - none

Still better than buying an Arsenal shirt though INNT? At least the Albion gets 35 QUID out of them.

Mine was a 1-0 victory over Rotherham in 1995. I think I was the only teenage boy who started going to football to impress a girl.

(She doesn't go anymore, to my knowledge. I haven't seen her since we left school).

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
After watching us score 19 goals in two games; I thought it would be like that every week.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
1967 FA Cup match against Chelsea. I had just gone to matches with my Dad up to that point but that game I really fell in love with the Albion and made up my own mind to follow them. (we held them to a draw for the replay)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Yorkie said:
1967 FA Cup match against Chelsea. I had just gone to matches with my Dad up to that point but that game I really fell in love with the Albion and made up my own mind to follow them. (we held them to a draw for the replay)

I remember Boyle getting sent off and going walkabouts. And didn't we have a goal disallowed for the winner?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Albion v Manchester United 1980/81. Up to then I had watched the Albion about 5-10 times a season, always wanted them to win, but was not truly blue and white.

I grew up in Chelmsford, Essex and so supported Manchester United like other easily influenced kids.

I had just moved to Manchester, and stood on the Stretford End a few times, but something did not quite feel right, could not put my finger on it. The Albion has just signed Andy Ritchie from United the previous week in the deal that took Wardy to Forest and Garry Birtles to United.

I caught the overnight train down to Brighton from Mancheser with a load of other United fans, watched United stuff the Albion 4-1, yet came away knowing that I truly loved the Albion, and ever since then have bled the stripes. Those 90 minutes changed my life, and I have never truly understood why, especially when we were being raped by the evil twins in '97 and heading out of existence whilst United were winning the Prem without even trying.

I guess it's like going after a bird on the grounds that she is famous and has big tits, then seeing how shallow she is, and realising that I had ignored the girl next door for too long who is beautiful in far more many ways.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here