Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone agree with the Syrian leader about al qaeda.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it bad that I don't have a clue about this and care even less?

All I can tell you is that there is a Syrian restaurant down the road from me. It looks alright.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
A mate of mine had a bit of a religious obsession a few years back and spent 3 months in the Syrian desert in a 1500 year old monastery. He spent most of his evenings trying to stop the monks from bumming him. True story. Does that move forward this debate?

I have to ask this. What exactly did he expect? I have a mate who was at a seminary in Ireland...one night after a bit too much communion wine...it turned out that six of the 8 trainee priests in his tutor group were as queer as a bottle of crisps...him included..and they spent the rest of their training screwing each other every night.

He decided that the Priesthood wasn't for him after he qualified...because it would take hypocrisy of the first order to do so...but the other five graduated and are still Catholic Priests in the UK and elsewhere.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
"Does anyone agree with the Syrian leader about al qaeda"

Odious dictator he might be, and not a very nice person at all - but he may just have a point here

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
"Does anyone agree with the Syrian leader about al qaeda"

Odious dictator he might be, and not a very nice person at all - but he may just have a point here

It's almost as if these dictators kept a lid on things, Mubarak, Assad, saddam gadaffi etc. although it does appear that Tunisia and Lybia seem to have settled down...certainly Iraq and Egypt appear to be as bad as ever.

I was talking to a American oil engineer on the cruise and he was working in brazil. Seemly he said that if the Arabs pulled the oil, which they would never do, there is vast reserves in brazil and Venezuela and they have just started test drilling in Peru and chile and initial indications are there are huge deposits there also. So he thought that the us would start stepping back from middle eastern politics pretty soon, but for israel.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
The war is Syria is not as simple as some might paint it is a very complicated mess that has developed over centuries the fact he is from an Alawite family and a Shia Muslim means civil war was always possible and many outside organisations see the war as an Ideal opportunity to try and gain a bigger influence in the area.
You also have to remember that the rebels are not all following the same agenda with many different groups out for their own gain backed by many different groups ranging from the CIA to Al Qaeda unfortunately no one will win outright and the innocent people of Syria will suffer because of others greed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here