Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dobbie... where have we gone wrong?

Oct 25, 2003
I think we all thought he was a great signing but what happened? He's gone to the Palarse and is a regular and doing really well...or so we hear.

He never got a run at it here... a bit like Spanish Dave who looked really ordinary until he had some games under his belt... and see what happened then.

Is Dobbie clashing with Gus, is he not happy with the club and the city?

He's probably coming back... can he cut it with us... I really hope so because his montage (YouTube?) of goals and play for other clubs was bloody good.

Perish the thought if we let go a potentially tasty player especially to the Nigels. Any thoughts chaps?

definitely this....he much prefers, like most people in fact, the bright lights of blackpool, swansea and south london to a shithole like brighton

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
To be fair, he never really got a chance what with GP and his squad rotation! Spanish Dave only came good when we lost both full backs and we had to improvise and Dave came good and gets better every game. Up until that point I doubt anyone would really have thought we would be keeping Spanish Dave.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
It's settled. To compare Dobbie to Spanish Dave is ludicrous. Dobbie's attitude was wrong, and he didn't fit.

The only reason the deal had to wait until after the season is the 'Three clubs in one season rule'.

Do you really think that he'd be welcome back here? He's gone. Good riddance.

Agree. Good riddance. He really let Gus down by revealing that he'd signed someone who didn't really fit in to the style of play. I hope he feels suitably guilty for making Gus look he just might have made a mistake. I'm glad no one is blaming Gus for that decision and instead realising that it was all Dobbie's fault.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
By all accounts he's hardly set the world alight there. Don't believe most palace on here they were always gonna say he was good etc..

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Agree. Good riddance. He really let Gus down by revealing that he'd signed someone who didn't really fit in to the style of play. I hope he feels suitably guilty for making Gus look he just might have made a mistake. I'm glad no one is blaming Gus for that decision and instead realising that it was all Dobbie's fault.

All managers make mistakes and yes, Gus made one when he signed Dobbie. Other 'mistakes' endear themselves to the fans by looking as if they actually care about the concept of earning their pay cheque. Dobbie didn't appear to try, and I doubt he broke sweat while he was here.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
All managers make mistakes and yes, Gus made one when he signed Dobbie. Other 'mistakes' endear themselves to the fans by looking as if they actually care about the concept of earning their pay cheque. Dobbie didn't appear to try, and I doubt he broke sweat while he was here.

Really? You doubt he broke sweat? I doubt you broke whatever it takes to think to come up with that. Dobbie was clearly superb to anyone who paid attention and there are a good few on here on here who have already said so, and that he was played completely out of position. His touch and skill were excellent. He is a prime example of a player who was wasted on us. Reminded me of the classic when Jari Litmanen signed for Liverpool. One of the greatest talents and Phil Thompson later admitted they signed him because they could and they had no plan as to how he would fit in. All managers make mistakes and as far as Dobbie is concerned, it was a mistake, but to say Good Riddance as if he's useless and suggest he didn't try which he clearly did is frankly insulting.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Really? You doubt he broke sweat? I doubt you broke whatever it takes to think to come up with that. Dobbie was clearly superb to anyone who paid attention and there are a good few on here on here who have already said so, and that he was played completely out of position. His touch and skill were excellent. He is a prime example of a player who was wasted on us. Reminded me of the classic when Jari Litmanen signed for Liverpool. One of the greatest talents and Phil Thompson later admitted they signed him because they could and they had no plan as to how he would fit in. All managers make mistakes and as far as Dobbie is concerned, it was a mistake, but to say Good Riddance as if he's useless and suggest he didn't try which he clearly did is frankly insulting.

Dobbie was clearly superb? For us? I pay attention, and he clearly wasn't. This I found hugely disappointing as I'd been delighted when we signed him, and thought that he was going to be superb. When did he look superb to you?

Yes, he generally was played out of position. But that doesn't mean he has to stand around looking lost, not contributing or shooting from 40 yards (always high and wide) whenever he got the ball.

I stood up for him early on, when everything seemed to go wrong for him. I was really pleased when he scored against Peterborough, and even talked that goal up to something better than it was. I desperately wanted him to do well. The turning point for me was Charlton away. In that game, in which he started, and in a position that you'd've thought would suit him, he was pitiful. In attitude and deed. THIS was the game in which I 'came up with' the idea that he struggled to break sweat. He barely moved and didn't seem to try.

Even then I was hoping that he'd come back, and make it with us, as he was brilliant for Blackpool and Swansea. But I don't think he wanted to be here, and when Holloway came calling he couldn't get up to Palace quickly enough.

So yeah, good riddance.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dobbie never fitted in and contrary to popular NSC opinions, he was given opportunities. Of the games I saw he was rubbish at Derby and you wouldn't have know he was on the pitch at Charlton.

I saw the both the Derby & Charlton games and agree with you. He showed a bit more spark in the Wolves game but not much. By loaning him out we freed up wages for Upson who has been a great asset to the team.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Other than one goal, Dobbie hasn't done much.

Is it a done deal he goes to you at the end of the season?

Personally think he's a good player, but Poyet never played him in his best position.

So he might as well go, especially as he is (allegedly) our highest earner

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
Is it a done deal he goes to you at the end of the season?

Personally think he's a good player, but Poyet never played him in his best position.

So he might as well go, especially as he is (allegedly) our highest earner

Yes it is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here