Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want your mate's teams to do well ?

Finally Falmer

Jul 18, 2010
Just curious on this one as to what other's opinions on their friends teams are.

A good mate of mine is a West Brom fan, but because of this, i love it when the baggies get beat, and was hoping last season that they'd get relegated, so we could hopefully smash them next season!

However, me & my Baggie mate, often have 'disagreements' over this. He says that he always wants Brighton to do well, as i'm a good mate, and he likes to see his friends teams be successful. (just as long as it doesn't impact on WBA)

So basically, is he the weirdo on this or am I ?! Should i be a good mate, and hope they do well, or should he really dislike BHA ??

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Depends on the team and the person I guess. If he is a good mate and supports an inoffensive team like WBA then why not hope they do well?

On the other hand I have a good mate who is a Man Utd fan so I can never bring myself to be happy when they win

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Depends on the team and the person I guess. If he is a good mate and supports an inoffensive team like WBA then why not hope they do well?

On the other hand I have a good mate who is a Man Utd fan so I can never bring myself to be happy when they win

Same here, although regardless how close a friend they are if they support Man U, Chelsea, Palace etc i will never want them to do well. In fact i enjoy it even more when they don't

keithbeaky

Dec 26, 2011
Depends on the fan. If he is passionate but also realistic and not biased then I dont mind. So im very anti Liverpool

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

This.

How much of a mate would he have been if he gloated at our issues in 97? Now spin that around and look at how much of a cock you're being.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I know far too many Sussex people who support Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs - so no, I don't wish their plastic teams well, in fact it's hard to take them seriously as football fans at all.

Torn on this one, I have a few friend who support Palace, yes they go and yes they are friends.
They support their team the same way as I support mine, they are unfashionable like we are, they have never really achieved anything like us, they have seen their club nearly die like us (different circumstances but same ultimate result). So in a twisted sort of way I admire them and if it wasn't Palace would love to see them do well but can't bring myself to do so.
That said, I prefer to talk footy with these than the Chelsea/Man U/Liverpool fans in my local who have never been outside Sussex.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I know far too many Sussex people who support Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs - so no, I don't wish their plastic teams well, in fact it's hard to take them seriously as football fans at all.

I don't tend to think of them as supporters though, unless thay do actually go and see "their team" - and then they just about get the benefit of the doubt.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Not really. Depends though. When I lived in Portsmouth, the fact that 2 of my best mates were Fratton Park ST holders didn't stop me from wishing failure upon them. I now live with a Southampton fan, which again has not stopped me from despising SCC. Having said that, one of my coursemates at Uni is a Scunthorpe fan and I now look out for their results. If the mate concerned is down to earth in their support of their club then I can consider wishing them success. This is obviously something that has been sorely lacking amongst both Pompey and Saints fans in recent years.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
It reminds me of this marvellous 'joke' we played on a lad from the cricket club. He was a supposed Man Utd fan and desperate to go to a gmae - typical plastic. Never been in 15 years of his fan-like behaviour!

He stated that he wanted to join the thousands of Man Utd fans and be a part of the magic - they had a home game the next saturday so we promised him for his birthday we would get him a ticket to join them all.

He was, at net practice, duly presented with his present - a ticket to join the thousands of man utd fans.

we bought him a single train ticket to Esher.

and the twat blubbed.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I have a lot of mates who 'support' the big teams but have never seen a game. So in this case, no. But I have a mate who supports QPR and another who supports Chelsea and they are both STH and have been for ages so I do want their team to do well purely because they actually support them.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
My best friend and Albion Season ticket holder for the last few years supports Rochdale as his second team. So i want them to do well whenever.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I think it's easier for your West Brom mate to say he hopes BHA do well when they are above us. If the boot was on the other foot, would he feel the same?

I think most fans are quite gracious, on the whole, of other clubs & fans whilst they are below them in the league/divisions!

A few mates support Arsenal, as does my Dad, and I've been to a couple of games. Before and after the game I don't really care how they did, however during the game I would cheer them on in respect to my mate and also it's more fun to feel involved and caught up in the atmosphere for 90 mins. Once the 90 mins is up, I don't care anymore as the club doesn't mean anything to me. My dad has also been to many BHA games too and he cheers on as well so it's a mutual thing, I'm sure my mates would do the same. Irrespective of our colours, it's about the event/football.

I don't like much of the England squad but when they put the England shirt on this summer, I'll cheer them on, Rooney and all! He's an idiot before the game, an idiot after the game but during the game, he's one of us! :D

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Not really. Depends though. When I lived in Portsmouth, the fact that 2 of my best mates were Fratton Park ST holders didn't stop me from wishing failure upon them. I now live with a Southampton fan, which again has not stopped me from despising SCC. Having said that, one of my coursemates at Uni is a Scunthorpe fan and I now look out for their results. If the mate concerned is down to earth in their support of their club then I can consider wishing them success. This is obviously something that has been sorely lacking amongst both Pompey and Saints fans in recent years.

Think this is the bit that counts, if they support their team through and through, lose or win I generally want them to do well. I'm good friends with a pompey fan and often look out for there results, although mostly out of curiosity rather than wanting them to do well. Most likely why no-one wants any of the big teams with plastics to do well too. Having said that I have friends who support Saints and Palace who I could never want to do well. And some of them who support West Ham have turned me to want them to lose every game as much as Saints, not quite palace yet...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
May be going for the first swim of the year this evening. What is the sea temperature ? Is it wise ?

I was in last week and it was cold but not freezing cold. With these couple of days of blazing weather it should be extremely palatable - high tide is 2pm on the south coast today and wind speed is relatively low so ideal for this afternoon :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here