Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

• Yes

Votes: 212 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 66 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The only reason I'd think of having it on the screen is because we have different versions of the song, and it would be nice if most people were singing 'stand or fall', rather than 'going up'.

'Stand or fall' absolutely, as we won't be going up for a while :p

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
NO NO NO to the words for many reasons.
I've also been der der dering and 'for we're going up for to win the cup, for Sussex By The Sea' for 40 odd years and will never change. Those are the words that the vast majority sing.
I remember Derby play off away last season where they all sang their song with the lyrics on screen. Noisy but looked stupid.
If you're not singing now with at least 70% doing so, then putting words up wont make any difference.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
It is about the only song written which has verses but also a chorus AND refrain and we never sing the we plough and sow........

I love the idea of a regular changing picture collage on the screens of Albion Players, staff and fans who have given their all or maybe just served their country right up to to Private Robert Wood from Little Common who died in Afghanistan in 2011 and was an ardent Albion fan.

The AMEX is too comfortable for visitors, they love coming here but 20,000 Albion Fans singing their hearts out could change that and motivate our own players.

Whilst I admit a tear or two whilst singing at the Doncaster game and playoffs, I just enjoy singing it as loud and proud as I can.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've also been der der dering and 'for we're going up for to win the cup, for Sussex By The Sea' for 40 odd years and will never change. Those are the words that the vast majority sing.
I remember Derby play off away last season where they all sang their song with the lyrics on screen. Noisy but looked stupid.
If you're not singing now with at least 70% doing so, then putting words up wont make any difference.

You say 'many reasons' yet you've not told us any of them.

If you feel it 'wont make a difference' what is the problem with trying it? Worst case, is that nothing changes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Derby didn't look stupid.

Feb 14, 2010
Everyone knows the "win the cup" newish verse and most the "stand or fall" verse. However just like "God save the queen", nobody knows every verse and the entire song will not be sung by anyone anywhere. Therefore I dont understand why some people think everyone should know every verse of SBTS but think its perfectly normal that people only know one verse of GSTQ. Anyone got the answer?

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Everyone knows the "win the cup" newish verse and most the "stand or fall" verse. However just like "God save the queen", nobody knows every verse and the entire song will not be sung by anyone anywhere. Therefore I dont understand why some people think everyone should know every verse of SBTS but think its perfectly normal that people only know one verse of GSTQ. Anyone got the answer?

Don't think people are expecting everyone to know all verses, I don't think 2 verses is asking too much.

Feb 14, 2010
Don't think people are expecting everyone to know all verses, I don't think 2 verses is asking too much.

People only know one verse of god save the queen as people know the "win the cup" version in sussex. All a load of stuff and nonsense being talked again in my view.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
People only know one verse of god save the queen as people know the "win the cup" version in sussex. All a load of stuff and nonsense being talked again in my view.

Well it won't do any harm then, will it? Just making sure everyone (hardcore special fans, JCLs and visitors alike) can join in, with the same words; not such a big deal is it??

Feb 14, 2010
Well it won't do any harm then, will it? Just making sure everyone (hardcore special fans, JCLs and visitors alike) can join in, with the same words, not such a big deal is it??

When did you see the God Save the Queen, with every verse on a screen and sung anywhere? Do you really want every verse on a screen? People will be bored after verse 1.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
When did you see the God Save the Queen, with every verse on a screen and sung anywhere? Do you really want every verse on a screen? People will be bored after verse 1.

No. Nobody is suggesting that, are they?

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ore-kick-off&p=6820940&viewfull=1#post6820940

Using the music as it stands at the moment:

"Now is the time for marching

Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring my boys
And take the time from me
And I’ll sing you a song as we march along
Of Sussex by the sea

Oh Sussex, Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the sea
You may tell them all we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea"

Feb 14, 2010

Are they not? So what verses are they going to choose? Everyone knows win the cup and stand or fall anyway. I think it would be nice if the club had something in every programe with the words and the history of SBTS. As for the screens, then doesnt worry me, its not as if its flying eagle's or goal music or cheer leaders.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Anyone wanting to see all of the original words to SBTS - along with a brief history of its origins - will find them in this NSC feature article.

Obviously, there won't be enough time pre-kickoff to play more than a minute or so. But it would be nice to do first verse, then chorus (that's the 'reap and mow' bit) and then the refrain (the GOSBTS bit everyone knows), with music faded.

Once we get any good at it, the whole thing should be recorded and videoed for posterity.

Feb 14, 2010

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ore-kick-off&p=6820940&viewfull=1#post6820940

Using the music as it stands at the moment:

"Now is the time for marching

Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring my boys
And take the time from me
And I’ll sing you a song as we march along
Of Sussex by the sea

Oh Sussex, Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the sea
You may tell them all we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea"

Too many words. Use the popular ones if any at all. Mix the going up to win the cup verse with the stand or fall verse and you might be onto something.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It is about the only song written which has verses but also a chorus AND refrain and we never sing the we plough and sow........

I love the idea of a regular changing picture collage on the screens of Albion Players, staff and fans who have given their all or maybe just served their country right up to to Private Robert Wood from Little Common who died in Afghanistan in 2011 and was an ardent Albion fan.

The AMEX is too comfortable for visitors, they love coming here but 20,000 Albion Fans singing their hearts out could change that and motivate our own players.

Whilst I admit a tear or two whilst singing at the Doncaster game and playoffs, I just enjoy singing it as loud and proud as I can.

Albion fan James Brynin died serving Queen and Country in Afghanistan in 2013.

Feb 14, 2010
Football songs have to be simple or they dont work. Too many words and it will fail, that is why at the Soldstone the record was played, people would hum along and then sing "going up to win the cup". Good luck with it tho, I would be surprised if you will get thousands singing long verses instead of a couple of ditty's but it would be nice. In

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports