Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

• Yes

Votes: 212 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 66 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
No. But it's not that hard to learn the words.

Please let's not actually show the opposition that we don't know the words to our own anthem.

Here's a challenge to us all. At the next game, just teach the person next to you the words.

Clearly 91% of the NS find it hard, actually that's wrong 64%, the other 27% are still finishing their pint in the concourse.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I can't believe the result of this poll. We really need the words to our own song on a screen.

Do they have the words to the national anthem on the screen at Wembley or Twickenham before an International?

Good grief. How tinpot! (I've always wanted to say that in the right context)
Just to be clear, are you bothered about singing "Sussex By The Sea" properly or not?

I have a small amount of sympathy for the people who don't want to sing it properly and prefer the more familiar race to the end of the "der der de-de der der der" version...

But people who say "we don't need the words on the screens as people should know them" are hugely frustrating. Obviously anyone CAN learn a couple of verses of a song (a lot us will have children who easily mastered a passable SBTS as toddlers... ) but this isn't the issue.

To get the "proper version" sung en masse at The Amex REQUIRES the words on the screen. Just do it.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Just to be clear, are you bothered about singing "Sussex By The Sea" properly or not?

I have a small amount of sympathy for the people who don't want to sing it properly and prefer the more familiar race to the end of the "der der de-de der der der" version...

But people who say "we don't need the words on the screens as people should know them" are hugely frustrating. Obviously anyone CAN learn a couple of verses of a song (a lot us will have children who easily mastered a passable SBTS as toddlers... ) but this isn't the issue.

To get the "proper version" sung en masse at The Amex REQUIRES the words on the screen. Just do it.

Really? Does it really? I don't think it does. Print them in the programme or something. Put them on those little posters at some of the urinals. Anything but on the screen.

Do we get a little bouncing ball that goes from word to word as well. And at the end the ball gets shot into a goal and then goal shatters and lots of little seagulls fly off into the sky. Pastel pink and blue ones. That would be lovely.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
I can't believe the result of this poll. We really need the words to our own song on a screen.

Do they have the words to the national anthem on the screen at Wembley or Twickenham before an International?

Good grief. How tinpot! (I've always wanted to say that in the right context)

We'd only need the words up for a season or 2 till the JCL's learn the words...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Too right. No words means an every match degradation to :

'der der derder der der der der, der der derder der DER,
And we're going up to win the cup for Sussex By The Sea.'

Awful.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Rehersal in the concourse. Those who don't know the words get to stay behind to practice. Beers 3/4 price. Happy all round

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Really? Does it really? I don't think it does. Print them in the programme or something. Put them on those little posters at some of the urinals. Anything but on the screen.

Do we get a little bouncing ball that goes from word to word as well. And at the end the ball gets shot into a goal and then goal shatters and lots of little seagulls fly off into the sky. Pastel pink and blue ones. That would be lovely.
I understand this perspective but it is a hugely minority point of view. Most people couldn't care less about the things you are so worried by - they will just be hugely enjoying joining in with the singing.

As regards suitably emotive images to accompany the words then I think we have that covered with the men of the Sussex Regiment interspersed with views of "Sussex By the Sea" and some Albion scenes...

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
The difference between 'You'll Never Walk Alone', 'Delilah', 'Bubbles', 'Blue Moon', 'Glad All Over' etc, and Sussex by the Sea is that all the former have the words sung over the top of the music, so the words are very easy to pick up! With Sussex by the Sea the words aren't sung over the top, and hence hardly anyone sings them.

I think it's more 'tinpot' to "der der der derder". You don't "der der der" over God Save the Queen before England games, it would sound just awful!

As for those saying "they should be put in the programme", we were told in the meeting last night that they already are, but not everyone, like me, buy a programme. And for those who have, it clearly hasn't been picked up and works.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The difference between 'You'll Never Walk Alone', 'Delilah', 'Bubbles', 'Blue Moon', 'Glad All Over' etc, and Sussex by the Sea is that all the former have the words sung over the top of the music, so the words are very easy to pick up! With Sussex by the Sea the words aren't sung over the top, and hence hardly anyone sings them.

I think it's more 'tinpot' to "der der der derder". You don't "der der der" over God Save the Queen before England games, it would sound just awful!

As for those saying "they should be put in the programme", we were told in the meeting last night that they already are, but not everyone, like me, buy a programme. And for those who have, it clearly hasn't been picked up and works.

Spot on. Get them on the screen for a game or two and test it out FFS. If it fails, stop it. It's not so difficult.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think everyone is taking my comments a bit too seriously. I'm not that worried. They are more important things to be worrying about.

Still think it would be tinpot.

Here's an idea.

Why don't we call all season ticket holders to an Induction meeting at the Amex. Here you get to learn about the history of the Albion; watch video footage of Mark Farrington and Phil Stant; recite some of Atilla's poems; do maths lessons with El Presidente and Henfield One, and then, at the end, the culmination if you please, Paul Barber teaches us all the words to GOSBTS.

The class then sing it aloud in front of TB who then hands each one of us a blue and white scroll and our gold season ticket.

The day ends in the club shop where Nike sell us lots of stuff. Costs offset by what we but in store.

Actually, I'm starting to like this idea.

Failure to attend and Induction and the tickets cost you double.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
Think we should be more concerned about the vast majority of songs coming from a particular part of the stadium. They are so demotivating it has the opposite effect on the team . i.e. slows them down! I've actually seen one or two players nod off!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I think everyone is taking my comments a bit too seriously. I'm not that worried. They are more important things to be worrying about.

Still think it would be tinpot.

Here's an idea.

Why don't we call all season ticket holders to an Induction meeting at the Amex. Here you get to learn about the history of the Albion; watch video footage of Mark Farrington and Phil Stant; recite some of Atilla's poems; do maths lessons with El Presidente and Henfield One, and then, at the end, the culmination if you please, Paul Barber teaches us all the words to GOSBTS.

The class then sing it aloud in front of TB who then hands each one of us a blue and white scroll and our gold season ticket.

The day ends in the club shop where Nike sell us lots of stuff. Costs offset by what we but in store.

Actually, I'm starting to like this idea.

Failure to attend and Induction and the tickets cost you double.
Some good thoughts in there and a better contribution to the thread than:

"No no no no no no no

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease no.

NO."

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We have that already, in the programmes at least, and you have to admit the anthem singing of 'our anthem' is pitiful.
I'd say the fact that no 2 people sing the same is even more embarrassing than words on the screen.

That is a fookin lush idea, you need to be working at the club.
I'm in, where do I sign up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports