Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Do you want the Jocks to qualify for the Euros or not?

SAC

May 21, 2014
Still can't get my head around the format. The Scotch scrape through and get to play two games at home.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Having followed Scottish football closely since 1978 I was not going to miss the drama of the Serbia match. True to form, Scotland snatched defeat from the jaws of victory but - untypically, snatched it back again in the nick of time.

You couldn't fail to be moved by the interview with Ryan Christie immediately after the match, the bloke could hardly speak he was so choked up.

It would be ironic if - having waited 22 years - the Tartan Army were unable to attend the finals next summer, but anyone who's gone to a major tournament knows Scotland fans are probably in the world's top 10 for quality of support and have been sorely missed since France '98.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Rivalry is always bigger in eyes of the lesser team, in this instance Scotland by some distance.

In 70s and 80s used to want Scotland to do well as a home nation. Since then, along with Wales, they can go feck themselves. ABS ABW all day long. When we conceded a late consolation against Holland in Euro 96, it was so sweet that the Jocks went out because of. The only interest I have in Scotland appearing at the finals is the odds on them NOT even scoring a goal. I expect they’re not that good though, the Sweatys are so dull, so bad, the completion had to be expanded before they could qualify that’s how bad they are!! Think there’s fewer countries that didn’t qualify than did, that’s how much of a joke the finals has become along with being played everywhere!!!

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
We can go into the tournament with absolutely no expectations so anything is a bonus, we know our level of quality (I mean how many teams in the world has two world class players - who are both left backs - the last player picked in a team), were at our two ‘home’ grounds, were playing the Auld Enemy (who will be so certain to win that bookies should pay out now), I’ll have had my COVID jab so the tartan army will be in full voice (my singing will put anyone off!), roll on June, Scots wa hae......

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Having followed Scottish football closely since 1978 I was not going to miss the drama of the Serbia match. True to form, Scotland snatched defeat from the jaws of victory but - untypically, snatched it back again in the nick of time.

You couldn't fail to be moved by the interview with Ryan Christie immediately after the match, the bloke could hardly speak he was so choked up.

It would be ironic if - having waited 22 years - the Tartan Army were unable to attend the finals next summer, but anyone who's gone to a major tournament knows Scotland fans are probably in the world's top 10 for quality of support and have been sorely missed since France '98.

Bollocks they’ve been missed. Just because they wear dresses and bore on about Braveheart with the worlds worst instrument assaulting ones ears in the background doesn’t make them world class. It’s such a myth too they’re so well behaved. Just ask Manchester! Seem to remember they shamed themselves at Wembley too (off the pitch as well as the usual performance on it LOL!)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bollocks they’ve been missed. Just because they wear dresses and bore on about Braveheart with the worlds worst instrument assaulting ones ears in the background doesn’t make them world class. It’s such a myth too they’re so well behaved. Just ask Manchester! Seem to remember they shamed themselves at Wembley too (off the pitch as well as the usual performance on it LOL!)

A few isolated incidents of misbehaviour compare favourably to our history of little-Englander aggression for about 4 decades. Manchester was a disgrace, but for every Manchester we've had a Heysel, Luxembourg, Brussels, Paris, etc etc. English football fans shamed this country for decades.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My son and I have tickets for the game.

First time I have ever wanted Scotland to win anything, last night.

Praying we’ll be able to go.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Still can't get my head around the format. The Scotch scrape through and get to play two games at home.

So do Hungary and they finished FOURTH in their group.

hung.png

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Cheers for your post. Timely reminder to order my half'n'half scarf ie Scotland'n'ABE.

And don't get me started on football fans shaming their country, cos there was only ever going to be one winner on that front :rolleyes:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The real losers are Rep of Ireland, Romania and Azerbaijan - hosting but not playing. (Doubt the latter will still host)

Group A (Italy/Azerbaijan): Turkey, Italy, Wales, Switzerland
Group B (Denmark/Russia): Denmark, Finland, Belgium, Russia
Group C (Netherlands/Romania): Netherlands, Ukraine, Austria, North Macedonia
Group D (England/Scotland): England, Croatia, Scotland, Czech Republic
Group E (Spain/Ireland): Spain, Sweden, Poland, Slovakia
Group F (Germany/Hungary): Hungary, Portugal, France, Germany

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Have I got this right?

Win the group and we play either France or Germany

Finish 2nd and we play Poland or Sweden ???

2nd from Hungary, Portugal, France, Germany

or

2nd from Spain, Sweden, Poland, Slovakia

Yes. Madness.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
A few isolated incidents of misbehaviour compare favourably to our history of little-Englander aggression for about 4 decades. Manchester was a disgrace, but for every Manchester we've had a Heysel, Luxembourg, Brussels, Paris, etc etc. English football fans shamed this country for decades.

We all know this. Nobody's condoning England fans behaviour back then. But why are you excusing such behaviour by comparison? The point was, and is, Scottish fans have a long history of trouble abroad. It's not all haggis and shortbread gifts. There's been a lot of tennents and trainspotting too! Dundee U, Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts all caused trouble without the same publicity for obvious reasons. And you've got to factor in they're smaller, less frequent visitors as well (because they're rubbish at football and never qualify). Hampden Park was positively dangerous for any England fans to attend back in the day. Too long this myth of them being good as gold has pervaded and gets trotted out time and again. In Malta, I myself witnessed first hand members of the Tartain Army (it was more like a platoon, but hey, lets deal with one myth at a time) being ridiculously drunk, lairy, vommiting and peeing in the streets when they visited there for a game. Didn't even make the papers where as everyone knows, an england fan only has to fart and it's 'hooligans burn peaceful alpine town and eat babies alive' headlines. Plus, the media pay money to encourage England fans to do something daft so they can photograph it. I remember that revelation too. Nah, not nor ever have, bought into this particular romantic scottish myth. Its about as true as Nessie! Anyway, both sets of travelling fans seem to have got their act together these days, and long may that continue :)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Cheers for your post. Timely reminder to order my half'n'half scarf ie Scotland'n'ABE.

And don't get me started on football fans shaming their country, cos there was only ever going to be one winner on that front :rolleyes:

I'm not condoning England terrible record. Point is, Scotland aren't the angels their PR machine seems to have spun. We shouldn't condone their long history of trouble too, simply because it's 'not as good as Englands' ???

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
English high expectations and cockiness before a World Cup/Euros... always turns out great. Its as if you are obsessed with eating your own words... rectally.

No idea what you're getting at by quoting me. I said I don't care what Scotland do, if they qualify great if not I don't care, the same as I don't care if Bulgaria, France, Cyprus or Sweden qualify. I also said I'm always happy when we beat them not that we always beat them...
I'm sure you're always happy when Sweden beat Finland?
Don't see how this was deemed cocky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here