Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do YOU want Oscar to be our manager next season?

Do you WANT Oscar to be our manager next season?

• Total voters

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Please point me to where this has been quoted

Buried in the body of the main thread by two different posters quoting two different sources. Could it be B/S? Of course it could. Has the ring of truth to me though. :shrug:

I accept the dull football argument, quite a bit the football under Gus was pretty grim at times too though

There is a big difference between playing defensive football where you are in control of the ball - that's Gus - and defensive football where you are in control of it for a bit and then launch some fightball to a pissed off Ulloa- that's been this season.

The appalling thing about yesterday was playing defensive football when we were already behind and not being able to string 3 passes together.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Can't apportion blame without complete information about who does what... the transfer market activities are my main grievance

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
I am hopelessly on the fence so as there isn't an undecided option, I've voted not bothered. I can see both sides of the argument, to go or not to go and both have merit.

Where's that coin?

Of the people who have voted and have a preference, over 4 to 1 majority of people want him to stay. 137 v 30 currently

That's a huge vote, bearing in mind the comments of many people who have posted on various threads. the silent majority rules!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
You really believe he tells the players to over hit the ball every time they take a free kick? I would suggest he picks Orlandi and Spanish Dave mainly for the free kick skills, as the rest of the squad are mostly shit at it and I find it hard to blame Oscar for that.

Where on earth did I say he was telling the players to over hit the free kicks? I said the set pieces are rubbish and they should be worked on - that's different to training the players to hoof it aimlessly to the far post.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the basis that he got our post-Gus, injury-hit, minus Bridcutt/Barnes squad into 6th place then YES.

Just imagine what he could do without the Gus fallout, with half the injuries, with important players signed up and committed for the whole of the season AND with a few new faces thrown in.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There is clearly something wrong somewhere within The Albion camp. Who's responsible is not known by the majority on here so like a few others I'd have chosen the 'fence' option if there was one-until we know why we have such an (apparent) unhappy squad.

Is it Oscar? I heard from a couple of people that he uses the "I played for and coached at Barcelona" line a lot to players which they don't like. IF true then maybe he should move on. If a load of bollocks then I'm currently indifferent as to whether he stays or goes.

Is it Jones? I've seen more enthusiastic undertakers discussing funeral arrangements to the bereaved.

Is it Burke/Barber poking their noses in?

I am definitely, maybe in the uncertain if I want him to go or stay camp.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Yes. I want to see if he can deliver the attacking free-flowing football he promised once he has time to choose his own squad and assuming he is not plagued by injuries.

Unfortunately, I don't think he's able to do that. He seems stuck on following the system employed by his mentor Johann Cruyff at Barcalona. They Incidently have now switched from that since having been eclipsed by free running Real Madrid.
Football has moved on, it seems to be all about speed and close control now, getting forward quickly in numbers.
I've been backing Oscar, but for me his starting selection against Derby when we needed to overcome a goal deficit was poor. That was made frustratingly worse for me when going further behind he still kept CMS and Lualua on there bums. And whilst the penny appeared to have dropped we conceded another......too late then.
So for me if he's thinking of leaving it also shows not enough loyalty to the club and as importantly to Mr Tony who gave him his chance. That said if he stays I'd back him at least for a while.
The trouble is I guess that the bottom (and sad) line is that loyalty of the clubs supporters is never matched by either the players or manager. They move around as the wind blows, or their spending demands. We never give up that loyalty through thick or thin, because the clubs in our blood. Even when we don't always agree :rolleyes:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
YES, but, just like last Summer, I want more information before I can make a really assured decision.

Has he offered to quit simply because he's disappointed or has something specific upset him? Does he feel his hands are tied? Is he just not prepared to put in the effort when he knows he has done enough to get a good job elsewhere? Does he have other ideas on how the club should be run that are a) realistic and b) fair?

Last edited:

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
I'm leaning towards the side of 'not bothered'. I do a lot of academic research in to football, and most literature in the area currently proves actually how little influence a manager has in terms of results in the long run. Of course, there are exceptions, but on the whole it's shown that actually changing managers doesn't really affect results either way.

Sure, if we got in a moron we'd do worse, but there are greater contributing factors to results and performance other than managers.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I've had enough of him. Does not inspire me ... nor seemingly, and more importantly, the team. I want exciting football at the Amex, not the boring dross he has served up.

OSCAR OUT.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Yes, but he really does need some more control. Oscar, Bloom and Burke really need to sit down, sort things out and plan for next season as the play-offs will again be the minimum expected.

A squad overhaul is needed and hopefully the three above men can get rid of some of the deadwood we currently possess and replace it with a team good enough for automatic promotion, it could cost a bit of money, but if were under FFP, then it surely must be worth it.

For me, he has until the end of September - if he stays and we have a poor start, then I cant see him staying.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No, once he has said he wanted to leave that is it. He hasn't shown the loyalty to the club so accept his resignation and get someone else in

There is a differenced between "offering his resignation" and "wanting to leave".

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Yes, primarily for the sake of continuity. I really don't want a repeat of last summer's fiasco

I also think there will be a significant overhaul of the squad this summer and I'd like to see a team where he has had more influence over the squad.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Yes, but in more than just name only.
What is the point of getting someone with the potential and then tying their hands.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Where on earth did I say he was telling the players to over hit the free kicks? I said the set pieces are rubbish and they should be worked on - that's different to training the players to hoof it aimlessly to the far post.

So the players have been trained to hoof it over everybody's head? I somehow doubt it.

You are capable of questioning Oscar but not the players it seems, I think you need a bit more balance even if some of what you say is not wrong regarding the tactics.

The main difference from Poyet is that we try and launch the ball whilst mostly retaining possession, with the right players this could work very well. We ended up three points short of what Gus managed (using a bigger budget imo) and Gus had three years to get us to where he did. I believe Oscar deserves a chance to get the players that he believes will suit his style. Blaming Oscar for the shortcomings of players that he was landed with and comparing that to what Gus did with them is a little unfair imo. Remember Gus was very quick to point out he couldn't do any better with the resources he had.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here