Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you want it now!?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Apologies if this is fixtures but I'm wondering what people are thinking.

I was walking the dog on the downs here near Eastbourne this morning, just mulling over things and started to ask myself 'do I want this virus now'?

If I get it soon now and come through unscathed then I can relax for what is expected to be the next 18 months. I'm 62 with no known underlying conditions so I should be OK. But can I face the situation where I have to practice social distancing for up to 18 months, and constantly under threat of getting it? But of course I might be unlucky.

So what are you thinking? Is anyone thinking 'Let's get it over with' and maybe just carrying on with life as normal and inviting the virus to do it's thing?

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Anyone over 55 years old is better off getting it now while there is relatively little pressure on healthcare services. My old intensive care colleagues tell me they have received standard operating procedures (SOPs) from the Intensive Care Society & DoH that are to be triggered when pre identified levels of capacity vs demand are met. When demand hits it's peak the final SOP is triggered. This instructs intensive care clinicians to prohibit use of ventilators for anyone over 70 (regardless of existing conditions) & and anyone over 55 with existing conditions.

This absolutely does not mean people should start holding covid-19 parties!

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Anyone over 55 years old is better off getting it now while there is relatively little pressure on healthcare services. My old intensive care colleagues tell me they have received standard operating procedures (SOPs) from the Intensive Care Society & DoH that are to be triggered when pre identified levels of capacity vs demand are met. When demand hits it's peak the final SOP is triggered. This instructs intensive care clinicians to prohibit use of ventilators for anyone over 70 (regardless of existing conditions) & and anyone over 55 with existing conditions.

This absolutely does not mean people should start holding covid-19 parties!
Ah yes, Covid19 parties. I can see it happening. Against all guidance of course

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
With a few days feeling shit you'd still not know for certain that you'd had it.

Whereas, some people may have already had it without realising it, because theyhaven't felt particularly poorly.

Diffrent people seem to contract a milder form, or it affects them in different ways.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Since it is still very far from guaranteed you cant have it twice (even in one "season" if this shit even got seasons) I say no thanks.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having read how it can put you in intensive care and potentially weeks in hospital if if doesn’t kill you, meaning muscle wastage which you may never recover from and other long lasting unpleasant after effects, I’m not sure I want to give it a go voluntarily by trying to catch it.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
F*** that! If I've had it and my wife hasn't, she'll be having me running about shopping and everything else, while she stays in isolation watching Netflix.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Any further down the road with the NorthStandCoronvirus filtering [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]? Really can't come soon enough. It's just getting silly now

This. Where have these stories of self isolating for 18 months come from ? and if it were the case 99% of people would say fck that and go and take their chances. No one, No one will self isolate for 18 months. I think the hysteria is over taking nsc at the moment and as I said needs to be controlled as it is not good for people worried or anxious as it is. Also you do know that as of today 1 person per 17850 population in China has died from it and Italy, the worst death rate 1 person in 1919 population ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My baby grandson was tested in hospital last friday but as yet my daughter has had no results through although they are out and about again... As I have COPD and my wife is recuperating at home after surgery and very low cause of very strong antibiotics I would not want this virus anywhere near us... They are not coping with the testing so if what I hear from the Oncology dept is true then awful decisions are going to have to be made in the not too distant future.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I see the coronavirus good news thread is slowly dropping down the front page in favour of the doom and gloom merchants.

Quite, it seems the waste majority of us are going to die of it now and in a slow and horrible way. Cheers

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Sounds close but surely scale is the problem.

You’ll have to test millions of people, some multiple times, ie they thought they had it but turns out they didn’t, and then again later when they think they’ve had it again.

I guess the ideal would be a pregnancy test type scenario.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Watch this, then start the thread again.

[Edit: Just been told it's fake]

Still recommend this documentary though...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000gj5f/our-world-wuhan-life-under-lockdown

It's probably not fake. The original poster couldn't verify the source when some people suggested it might be a lung cancer patient, as suggested by the reference to the fags.

Chuntering on somewhat tediously, there's a point to be made from it. In the US, the CDCP reckons up to a fifth of infected peeps between 20 and 44 have been hospitalised, including between two and four percent who needed ICU treatment :eek:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But will you be able to live “normally” even if you are clear of the virus?

Not unless you could be tested and shown to have had it, and know that you have immunity. Without any of that you may as well have not had it. Presently we have none of that.

I am increasing minded that the Chinese strategy works best. This is contrary to my recent view. The reason is new infection is so rare now in China it suggests the virus needs to be active in a human to be contageous or it will be killed before it can spread. If there is bounce back in China (as I originally predicted) that will, of course, be Old Bollocks.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Quite, it seems the waste majority of us are going to die of it now and in a slow and horrible way. Cheers

No. Most of us will be fine. Once we have found a way to isolate without running out of bogroll. I'm sure even Boris can pay someone to work out how to manage that.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014

Tests suggest that up to 75% of those who are tested positive show no symptoms whatsoever. They can pass it one, which is obviously bad, but they suffer virtually no inconvenience and after a week or so will be immune, certainly for a few months, maybe for a lot longer.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Was shocked to just read that existing cases now outweigh those that have recovered!!

So now more people are infected than those that have recovered!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
AFAFB832-5ED9-4250-AD7F-191160356935.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here