Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you think Wellbeck will stay next season

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Presumably they offered him a new contract (and several others - Dunk including) in the last few weeks and just waiting til season end to wrap up.
Is he really much coveted and/or wants to go - to anywhere else ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Blimey - I just looked up his age, thinking he was 33/34.

He's 30. Definitely sign him up for another couple of years!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really like him on the left of the front three, but not particularly as the main front man. Definitely want him to stay, but really want a better focal point up top. If Welbeck can get 8-10 goals from the left that would be a great return, especially if we can get 10-15 from someone else.

How does the last line work?
Maupay or Connolly or someone new?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
would be daft not to offer him a sensible contract for 2 more years. he isnt someone to be the main striker, never has been, gives excellent link up play and solid professional performances. we wouldnt find a replacement easily.

if people want to improve the front line, Welbeck certainly isnt the weak point.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
would be daft to offer him a sensible contract for 2 more years. he isnt someone to be the main striker, never has been, gives excellent link up play and solid professional performances. we wouldnt find a replacement easily.

Then I assume you meant wouldn't

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Hindsight suggests he should have had a caveat heavy second year contract extension when he originally singed.
Chances are he would have hit every metric set down and it would be a moot point now.

For me it would be nice if he stayed on, for one more year, but that would be down to someone else leaving in order for a marquee signing to arrive.

I still can't see that happening.
I can't see the club going again with the same strike force.
So I can see him gone.

I also can't see myself being right. :lol:

When you say 'someone else leaving', assuming from: Maupay, Welbeck, Connolly, Andone, you only see Welbeck leaving as the way to having a changed strike force?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Would love to see Welbz signed up and for me he deserves a 2 year deal (a great attitude, undoubted quality and a fantastic work ethic).

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Agree, and Connolly is a huge maybe. With such doubt hanging over those two, keeping Welbeck and adding another striker face is surely the game plan.

Connolly will absolutely not leave permanently in the summer. It'll be Welbeck, Maupay and a signing next season, Connolly will go on loan and Zeqiri on the fringes (if he's even considered a striker by management now).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think this should be the first bit of business we do. He is the only reliable Premier League-quality striker we have at the moment and if we fanny around the likes of Southampton - who will probably lose Ings - will shark in there.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Far more worthy of a starting place than Maupay IMHO. Tho Gormless Benny clearly has his favourites that can only be ousted through injury or suspension

Well, no. He was banned, then injured, then went on loan unsuccessfully, then injured again and is just now back in contention. If I were Potter I wouldn't pick him ahead of Maupay based on everything he has seen. The guy is done with the Albion.

The only issue, as with Locadia, will be finding a buyer who takes his wages in full.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I have a feeling that it will be Wayne Bridge all over again.

Great player enjoying his time with us and playing some of his best football in years.
So much so that some other club comes sniffing and offers bigger wages than we're prepared to cough up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When you say 'someone else leaving', assuming from: Maupay, Welbeck, Connolly, Andone, you only see Welbeck leaving as the way to having a changed strike force?

Yeah.

Can you see the club going again, unchanged, considering how this entire season has panned out?

I completely agree with Stumpy, I just don't see where those 10-15 goals are coming from 'down the middle'.

Sadly because of how the season has gone there's no value in offloading one of the others, so for want of a better word, the club are 'stuck' with them.

One of them ought to be able to provide a decent return as back up striker (I said that 12 months ago, as well).
But for someone to come in, someone has to go.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Why not? He seems very happy.

He's had a fair few seasons on Man.Utd. and Arsenal wages, so he should be pretty well off, and even if we are paying less than he was on before, it'll still be shedloads. So long as him and his agent don't get greedy hopefully he can have another happy year with us.

This.

I really hope common sense prevails, but my faith in footballers making a sensible career decision, rather than squeezing every last penny out of a situation is somewhat shaky.

He seems pretty level-headed, so fingers crossed!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Far more worthy of a starting place than Maupay IMHO. Far more focussed aggression. Far more SKILLZ. Tho Gormless Benny clearly has his favourites that can only be ousted through injury or suspension

Too little tinkering huh?

How the times change

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have a feeling that it will be Wayne Bridge all over again.

Great player enjoying his time with us and playing some of his best football in years.
So much so that some other club comes sniffing and offers bigger wages than we're prepared to cough up.

With the very end result of that deal going the same way, equally possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here