Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think the JOCKS will vote YES ?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Breaking News: Despite being part of a Union with England, Scotland is in fact a separate country already.

Quite a few people don't seem to understand this. Scotland isn't a county of England, this is not like Essex seceding. This is more like the UK leaving the EU. To all of you who argue that Scotland shouldn't be allowed to leave, do you believe the same about the UK and the EU?

All depends on the definition and this is something that can't be agreed on, this is why there is disagreement about the number of countries in the wrold.

So should Scotland currently be referred to as 2 countries then? - Known as Scotland and also as the United Kingdon of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
They will probably vote no, but I wouldn't be shocked with a surprise yes vote. If they do vote yes, can they hand over the nukes asap? I can picture a Scottish flagged vanguard submarine surfacing next to westminster with threats to keep the pound or else...lol

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
At its heart though is a lack of political principle, the better together campaign should be sticking by its guns and extolling the benefits of the union.

well they have really. the central benefit for Scotland is a single market and currency - thats why they made the union in the first place. unfortunatly the message is being overlooked as Salmon jumps around saying "dont look over there, look over here" and spouting out anything and everything will be better when run from Holyrood. even the parts they already control but havent changed. they will have to build up all the institutions of state at large expense, they will be out of EU (so not all bad...), out of Nato (probably be allowed in, but thats not the point), and without their own currency unless they sacrifice much of their new independence to either the English or the Europeans. its frankly daft situation, but the lure of nationalism is powerful up there.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Whatever happens it is time for England to have it's own parliament with only the MP's that represent English constituencies allowed to vote on English issues. The same as Scotland, NI and Wales have their own parliaments/assemblies where only their MP's are allowed to vote on their issues.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
All depends on the definition and this is something that can't be agreed on, this is why there is disagreement about the number of countries in the wrold.

So should Scotland currently be referred to as 2 countries then? - Known as Scotland and also as the United Kingdon of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Definition of what?

Are you saying that the United Kingdom is a country, rather than a Union?

I am sure that just like you, in years to come some of our kids will be claiming that Europe is a country and other kids will be arguing with them about how Europe is not a country because the United Kingdom is it's own country. :facepalm:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Definition of what?

I am sure that just like you, in years to come some of our kids will be claiming that Europe is a country and other kids will be arguing with them about how Europe is not a country because the United Kingdom is it's own country. :facepalm:
Can you name the countries of Europe? - Try entering Scotland into this quiz and then try entering the UK instead and see which works.
http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/europe

And also what country is on your pasport?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Definition of what?

yes it is a country. the "union" is an internal technicality. by any other definition than the one we use in the UK to split our 4 nations apart, "country" defines a sovereign state. Scotland is not sovereign because it joined a union and ceded that sovereigity to Westminster. hence the vote.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
yes it is a country. the "union" is an internal technicality. by any other definition than the one we use in the UK to split our 4 nations apart, "country" defines a sovereign state. Scotland is not sovereign because it joined a union and ceded that sovereigity to Westminster. hence the vote.

I didn't say it was Sovereign, I said it was a country.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Can you name the countries of Europe? - Try entering Scotland into this quiz and then try entering the UK instead and see which works.
http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/europe

And also what country is on your pasport?

My Passport doesn't make or unmake a Country, nor does the other thing you posted.

I don't mean to seem a knob but a Country is a Country, and Scotland is one. Stop trying to argue it's not, if you ever come to realize that Scotland is actually a country, you might then find it easier to understand why Scottish people from Scotland might want to make decisions for their own country

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A minor issue but I wonder whether a vote for independence could affect Scotland's position in the International Football Association Board?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
My Passport doesn't make or unmake a Country, nor does the other thing you posted.

I don't mean to seem a knob but a Country is a Country, and Scotland is one. Stop trying to argue it's not, if you ever come to realize that Scotland is actually a country, you might then find it easier to understand why Scottish people from Scotland might want to make decisions for their own country

To quote myself again

Where did i argue it's not?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Breaking News: Despite being part of a Union with England, Scotland is in fact a separate country already.

Quite a few people don't seem to understand this. Scotland isn't a county of England, this is not like Essex seceding. This is more like the UK leaving the EU. To all of you who argue that Scotland shouldn't be allowed to leave, do you believe the same about the UK and the EU?

Quiet true,England never conquered Scotland and the United Kingdom was formed in part because of marriage of an English and a Scottish royal...

You put forward a good case for the defence of the Yes vote,especially when you compare our plight with Brussel's,i suppose i would like to see us stay in the EU because it's more beneficial for us to be closer to what is going on than be detached altogether..

That said i would think that England could more than hold it's own outside of the EU,perhaps even more so if we became the 52nd state of a certain long term ally,but that would be a last resort..

So how do Scotland pay for it and will they have their own currency?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think YES will win and I honestly believe Scotland will be fine as an independent nation.

With the Euro? or something else

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Quiet true,England never conquered Scotland and the United Kingdom was formed in part because of marriage of an English and a Scottish royal...

You put forward a good case for the defence of the Yes vote,especially when you compare our plight with Brussel's,i suppose i would like to see us stay in the EU because it's more beneficial for us to be closer to what is going on than be detached altogether..

That said i would think that England could more than hold it's own outside of the EU,perhaps even more so if we became the 52nd state of a certain long term ally,but that would be a last resort..

So how do Scotland pay for it and will they have their own currency?

Yes the EU.........Well watch out.
The Lisbon Treaty will come into full effect in November 2014.
The 294 page Treaty of Lisbon sets up a three tier politburo dictatorship, and came into force on 1st January 2009. It gives the EU more powers than the 465 page EU Constitution by amending and adding the missing clauses to the existing five treaties. So you need to read all six treaties together, thousands of unreadable pages which includes Maastricht; and then see through its concealment and deception to get the full picture. There will be no more treaties: the six complete the EU.
The six treaties repetitively remove all Westminster's powers.
There are no provisions for elections to Westminster, which will close. The EU's 120,000 regulations will close most of Britain's 4.5 million small businesses and control our lives more closely than were Soviet citizens. Harmonising our laws with the EU over 36 years has given us the laws of a police state, which the EU will enforce. Lisbon (illegally) 'took primacy' over the British Constitution, which it nullifies, and as far as the EU, their puppet government in Westminster and our corrupted courts are concerned, the EU became our nation, and Britain was abolished as a nation on 1st January 2009.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yes the EU.........Well watch out.
The Lisbon Treaty will come into full effect in November 2014.
The 294 page Treaty of Lisbon sets up a three tier politburo dictatorship, and came into force on 1st January 2009. It gives the EU more powers than the 465 page EU Constitution by amending and adding the missing clauses to the existing five treaties. So you need to read all six treaties together, thousands of unreadable pages which includes Maastricht; and then see through its concealment and deception to get the full picture. There will be no more treaties: the six complete the EU.
The six treaties repetitively remove all Westminster's powers.
There are no provisions for elections to Westminster, which will close. The EU's 120,000 regulations will close most of Britain's 4.5 million small businesses and control our lives more closely than were Soviet citizens. Harmonising our laws with the EU over 36 years has given us the laws of a police state, which the EU will enforce. Lisbon (illegally) 'took primacy' over the British Constitution, which it nullifies, and as far as the EU, their puppet government in Westminster and our corrupted courts are concerned, the EU became our nation, and Britain was abolished as a nation on 1st January 2009.

Well,we need to keep our options open,it's good to be close to our neighbour's but independent,now if Scotland stayed within the United Kingdom and we all left Europe,it's a big wide world out there,we are going to be forward thinking,i don't doubt that we are looking commercially to India,China and outwards.

We will have the power to say no to Europe,we will have 2 super carriers and a Nuclear deterrent and we will continue to spend 2% GDP on defence..

Europe cannot really make this country do anything really,we only agree for the now.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
To quote myself again

Where did i argue it's not?

Pointing me towards my passport as though it proved something.

You do seem to want to be able to say, in some kind of way, that Scotland is not a Country in and of itself. It's understandable why you would have to be able to see it that way, because otherwise you would be arguing against the independence of another country which is not your own, and of course that would make you something of a scoundrel. So it's better if we don't look at it as a country.

But it is though.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A last-minute all-party plan to devolve further powers to Scotland over tax, spending, welfare and a host of other areas will be unveiled in the next few days, George Osborne has said.

The chancellor detailed the plans – the product of backroom talks – saying they would be unveiled in the next few days with a clear timetable for implementation in the event of a no vote. The offer is similar to the last-minute package offered to Quebec by the Canadian government in 1995, that staved off a vote for separation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here