Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think the JOCKS will vote YES ?

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I reckon they will get it. The idiots amongst them will get carried away in a nationalist fervor whipped up by the Fat Jock. They'll be happy for a while before the penny drops!

If they get it and don't get into Europe, will all the jockos down here be illegal? Ditto if they get into Europe and we pull out?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
What Salmond hasn't answered (probably because he's a serial bullshitter) is that if Scotland declares itself "Nuclear free" then it won't be allowed to join NATO, one of the conditions of membership being acceptance of the nuclear umbrella provided by the USA, UK & France. It also won't be allowed to join the EU because one of the conditions of joining is adopting the Euro and they've already said they intend to retain the pound.
I think it's the vocal minority (aka gobshites) that are making more noise about it, the average jock will consider the risks and benefits and decide that it's too big a leap of faith.
Close vote but the nos will win it.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
If the vote is yes; labour will be unelectable forever if Dave gets his act together. A yes vote for Scottish independence followed by yes to leave Europe would prove interesting!

True but I doubt "Call Me Dave" will want to be known as the PM that lost Scotland.

This is going to be very close. The problem is Salmond is a better orator than Darling. Poor old Alastair hasn't had much luck. He got the Chancellor of the Exchequer job just as the global economy went breasts up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i find it highly dubious that they've turned around from trailing 13 points. the poll ignores undecided and non-voters, so seems like a poll commissioned to portray a closer result for the pro-yes side. if they do swing it, good luck to them. the SNP campaign is full of contradictions and they've spent the north sea oil 3 or 4 times over. we'll be better off without them, even if we have to suffer some costs from absorbing their debt and relocating Trident.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
What Salmond hasn't answered (probably because he's a serial bullshitter) is that if Scotland declares itself "Nuclear free" then it won't be allowed to join NATO, one of the conditions of membership being acceptance of the nuclear umbrella provided by the USA, UK & France. It also won't be allowed to join the EU because one of the conditions of joining is adopting the Euro and they've already said they intend to retain the pound.
I think it's the vocal minority (aka gobshites) that are making more noise about it, the average jock will consider the risks and benefits and decide that it's too big a leap of faith.
Close vote but the nos will win it.

Good points but 16 year olds won't think that way.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I find it hard to believe that the future of the Union could be decided on a simple 50%+1 vote.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
if they do vote YES,will they change the name of their country to ALBA

alot of people will get this confused with the Swedish group ABBA???

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
16 and 17 year old voting too, NUTZ

Big mistake allowing 16 year old kids to vote.

Why such little faith in the youth? I've no doubt that 16 & 17 yr olds are just as likely to have a full grasp of the issues as anyone else. It's deeply patronising to suggest otherwise.

Besides which, if you're old enough to pay taxes, get married and have kids the you should surely have a right to vote as well. I'd like to see 16 & 17 yr olds given the vote across the board, especially considering the shockingly low turnouts we have for all our elections.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Why such little faith in the youth? I've no doubt that 16 & 17 yr olds are just as likely to have a full grasp of the issues as anyone else. It's deeply patronising to suggest otherwise.

Besides which, if you're old enough to pay taxes, get married and have kids the you should surely have a right to vote as well. I'd like to see 16 & 17 yr olds giving the vote across the board, especially considering the shockingly low turnouts we have for all our elections.

Agree that turnouts are low, but most 16 year old know jack about Politics, and I just don't understand how they can vote in this referendum, but not in General Elections .

How many 16 year old do you know who are married and pay taxes, seeing as it's now compulsory to stay in education till 18?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I might be missing something but how did you arrive at 2%? In theory, everyone could abstain except for one person who votes for independence and that would be a majority. That would be a very small percentage 0.0000063% (1/63,000,000th). Apologies if the decimal point isn't quite right but you get the drift.

4mill jocks can vote

80% turnout 3.2mill

1.6mill for 50%

1.6 / 63mill = 2.5%

Shocking but true, probably 2m adults and a few hundred thousand kids

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
They have taken the Uk Money for years now they got oil they don't want it when it runs out and the beer and food cost have risen to Norway prices and tourist industries crash and all the jobs return South they will regret it. Can we be fussy who we let in from Scotland. We could end up with a leaky boarder! Also could we send all the Scottish drinkers on the south coast back. But I hope the vote is no.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
16 and 17 year old voting too, NUTZ

Agree that turnouts are low, but most 16 year old know jack about Politics, and I just don't understand how they can vote in this referendum, but not in General Elections .

How many 16 year old do you know who are married and pay taxes, seeing as it's now compulsory to stay in education till 18?

So because you believe "most 16 year old know jack about Politics" those that do and can be bothered to get up off their apathetic arses and actually go out and vote should be denied? Curious attitude that.

Lots of adults voting can't see further than their own short sighted interests - usually the cut in income tax bribe. Should we stop them voting too?

Yep, granted that the new stay in education until you're 18 rule means nearly all won't pay taxes, with those in apprentices probably not earning enough to pay taxes, and very few getting married at 16 (still need parental consent until they're 18 for this). But I still believe that they should have the right to vote as many of the issues will still affect them directly, both now and in their very near future.

Yes, I know your next logical move. Extend it to the whole population then as kids of all ages are directly affected by issues that us adults vote on. But 16 seems like a very sensible age to give people the vote to me. I despair when adults show such little faith in our youngsters.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
i find it highly dubious that they've turned around from trailing 13 points. the poll ignores undecided and non-voters, so seems like a poll commissioned to portray a closer result for the pro-yes side. if they do swing it, good luck to them. the SNP campaign is full of contradictions and they've spent the north sea oil 3 or 4 times over. we'll be better off without them, even if we have to suffer some costs from absorbing their debt and relocating Trident.

Why do we have to absorb their debt ? The UK racked up debt and as part of the UK they are responsible for a share of it. I see it like a divorce, if one partner decides to leave, they are entitled to a share of the collective assets and responsible for a share of the collective debt.
I suspect if the jocks cast off, then the UK government will expect them to take on a share of that debt (and if they continue to use the pound we can force them to).

D

Deleted member 18477

What does it mean for the UK if they vote yes? I'm not really clued up on this Scottish Independance crap?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here