Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think Sami Hyypia's squad is capable of challenging for a top 6 spot?

Do you think Sami Hyypia's squad is capable of challenging for a top 6 spot?

• Yes I do

Votes: 202 93.5%
  • No I don't

Votes: 14 6.5%

• Total voters

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Absolutely...we can have a great crack at it...we'll score goals and when you can do that you have a great chance.Really strong squad this season and exciting.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Just wow - what a window. The best squad in terms of quality and depth for ~30 years? (I don't mean the best squad relative to the division we're in, because I don't think it's that yet; I mean in absolute terms). With this squad, we have to have a better chance of promotion this season than either of the last two - even though the general quality of other teams has also improved.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Definitely, we have so many options now, throughout the team.

I said in another thread, once the players are all used to the system and each other I don't see many teams that can compete, maybe Norwich, Forest and Watford in my opinion. So with a bit of luck and decent results against the teams around us, i would think the top 6 is the absolute minimum we should be aiming for.

Sami also needs to decide what is his best team, maybe he already has, but the team needs a little bit of time, then I think it will fly!

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
After a dull season last year and the ghost of Poyet hovering over the place, Sami has revamped the squad and I genuinely think this is our most competitive squad since arriving back in the championship. I hope that automatic is the target although I appreciate it is a seriously competitive league.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If we aren't in the hunt for the top six then something has gone quite wrong looking at the quality in the squad

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We'll certainly enjoy the football. I just think there are some very strong squads out there. I'm a 'hope so'.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
I'm not surprised that we've made signings but no way expected to have got so many, what appear to be, quality signings so quickly. Squad now is deffo up there for top 6. Sami has quite a job on his hands keeping 4 strikers and all our MF's happy, assuming there's no departures.

On the downside, Deadline day is now ruined for me. Will cancel my day off and go into the office instead.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Far more capable than the squad of three weeks ago.
Go on then, put me down for a 'yes'.

Make that two weeks ago rather than three and I'm in complete agreement.

If you'd asked me after Birmingham I'd have said no. After the performances against Leeds and Bolton and the sudden influx of talent my mind is decidedly changed.

A view shared by many of us. SH and the B's seem to have gone for a clear out and a fresh start - onwards and upwards, I hope!

Seagull Crow

Sep 3, 2012
I think the squad is capable of challenging, but I'm not sure that it'll be this year.

It'll take a while for us to gel as a team, given the scale of the changes in both squad personnel and management style that has taken place.
I think it'll probably be a few months before we see the best of this squad on a consistent basis, and that might come just a touch too late for the 2014/15 season.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
No offence, but only divs and relentless miserabilists didn't think the squad would be competitive once business was complete.

I'll happily answer to most names myself, those included...but that's maybe a tad strong about ANYONE who had any doubts when the exit doors were gaping wide open a few weeks back. Anyway.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Definitely capable of a top 6 finish. Doesn't mean we will but I'm optimistic.

We've not directly replaced Ulloa with one striker but hopefully Baldock, Colunga, CMS, Texeira and O'Grady will make up for any shortfall and the midfielders will get goals too. Defensively we look solid again too.

Time will tell and Hyypia is managing for the first time in the Championship too so will make mistakes. However, we have a fantastic squad now. I've never known us sign 7 players in 13 days. Incredible!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
It is certainly capable, as has strength in depth allowing for injuries, suspensions, loss of form. Not all the signings will fire but as long as most do, and Hyppia can make the whole somewhere near the sum of the parts, top 6 is feasible.

Main problem is competition: Watford, Derby, Forest,wolves,Norwich, Cardiff, Boro all look strong, Bournemouth dark horse and there will be a surprise package somewhere. The serious business commences 27/9 at Forest followed by Cardiff, Watford and Boro. We will know a lot more after those games.

TBH, having been very much at the licking end of scale until now, am finding the sudden surge of optimism slightly overdone.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The formation and style that we are playing looks very difficult to defend against. Quick, intelligent technical players running at you are a defenders nightmare. If Caskey is our nominated penalty taker now, it is worth backing him in your scorecasts as we are going to win a LOT of penalties.

Yeah we'll be top six.

:thumbsup:

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
If we can hold on to the loan players and stay reasonably injury free then we can challenge for the title.
I'm so happy that there appears to be some steel in the team now and some of those who I thought weren't up for a tough promotion push have gone. Still a couple of lightweights to get shot of though. Last season and the season before's team would capitulate without too much asking and I'm hopeful this season's has much more spine and will to win. Sami can't fail if they do. This is THE year!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here