Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you think Roberto De Zerbi wants to be here?

Do you think Roberto De Zerbi wants to be at Brighton?

• Total voters

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
This is something that has been going through my mind since he started coming out with his "I'll talk to Tony and the club and we'll make a decision then" guff about whether he'll be here next season or not. You can have the best plans and intentions for the transfer window but absolutely nothing is guaranteed unless and until a player signs on the dotted line.

I'm sure Albion had targets they wanted to sign both last summer AND in January that just didn't pan out, for whatever reason. Tony, Paul, David Weir and Grumpy Italian Bloke could sit down on Monday and agree a brilliant transfer strategy for this summer - which then goes tits up for all sorts of reasons, none of which are under Albion's control. So does GIB f*** off on Saturday August 31 when the agreed targets aren't on board (and half the injured players are still on the treatment table)?

OR does TB decide the gamble on this running and running is not worth it and bins RDZ like CH straight after the game tomorrow? I am pretty sure TB is not delighted with some of the “just being honest Guv” shenanigans of the last few weeks. Just a hunch

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
OR does TB decide the gamble on this running and running is not worth it and bins RDZ like CH straight after the game tomorrow? I am pretty sure TB is not delighted with some of the “honest” shenanigans of the last few weeks. Just a hunch
Interesting. Have no doubt that TB is in control. He will make whatever decision he feels is in the best interests of the club. RDZ has softened his approach and words in the past few weeks coinciding with some average performances and the realisation that it is only the media and some attention seeking agents that are hyping up the interest from Europe’s top clubs.
I suspect TB will play the waiting game before making an expensive decision.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
No doubt that RDZ is testing TB’s priorities for performance or sustainability. I guess to a certain extent that that is part of his job, but the way he goes about it is also testing TB’s patience. I hope there is a compromise to be had somewhere as I think RDZ could make the club grow and succeed but only if RDZ has the patience to see it through. I don’t hold out a lot of hope for that and suspect TB doesn’t either.

kelvinnewman

Aug 17, 2023
This is something that has been going through my mind since he started coming out with his "I'll talk to Tony and the club and we'll make a decision then" guff about whether he'll be here next season or not. You can have the best plans and intentions for the transfer window but absolutely nothing is guaranteed unless and until a player signs on the dotted line.

I'm sure Albion had targets they wanted to sign both last summer AND in January that just didn't pan out, for whatever reason. Tony, Paul, David Weir and Grumpy Italian Bloke could sit down on Monday and agree a brilliant transfer strategy for this summer - which then goes tits up for all sorts of reasons, none of which are under Albion's control. So does GIB f*** off on Saturday August 31 when the agreed targets aren't on board (and half the injured players are still on the treatment table)?
Last Summer we were seriously in for both Cole Palmer and Kudus, I don't blame the club for not getting them across the line as they would have broken the model, but just assume one or both of them had come in and had similar seasons?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It would be very Brighton if tomorrow was his last game

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It would be very Brighton if tomorrow was his last game
Certainly would. Be great if he could be given a very warm reception - maybe with his giantish flag unfurled - on the lap of appreciation just in case he's gone on Monday morning. He might very well want to stay here, but it won't have gone down well with his employers that he's very publicly shone an unwelcome light on their ambitions (or otherwise)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Last Summer we were seriously in for both Cole Palmer and Kudus, I don't blame the club for not getting them across the line as they would have broken the model, but just assume one or both of them had come in and had similar seasons?
Who knows? Broken the model or Broken the club? What if we had signed Palmer and he suffered the same fate as March? I’d rather have steady and modest success without busting our finances, FFP, etc.

kelvinnewman

Aug 17, 2023
Who knows? Broken the model or Broken the club? What if we had signed Palmer and he suffered the same fate as March? I’d rather have steady and modest success without busting our finances, FFP, etc.
Same, I spose I’m just saying it’s fine margins.

Not far fetched to assume Kudus agents fold on a release clause, City decide they would prefer not to sell to Chelsea or Albion agree to a Palmer buy back clause etc

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Same, I spose I’m just saying it’s fine margins.

Not far fetched to assume Kudus agents fold on a release clause, City decide they would prefer not to sell to Chelsea or Albion agree to a Palmer buy back clause etc
Yep, and on the flip side to my argument we need better players to improve

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Personally, my reading of it is that he has been planning next season for a few weeks now and as part of that has met with Bloom twice. He's not looking to move (lots on here were accusing him of giving up and plotting to go) but I suspect if an offer comes in from a Euro giant he will of course be off. My gut feeling is he will stay for next season, get us to the conference league and maybe another semi-final then bugger off.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
That is the 'know our place in the food chain' argument and effectively implies we can only be the jackal that darts in and out of the kill rather than the lions and hyenas who gorge. Nothing wrong with that but if TB is serious about there being no ceiling I cant see how he can avoid splashing some cash given a record profit for 2023 and £115m Caicedo fee that will be in 2024 accounts.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He's on the record that if the agreed plan here appeals to him then no external temptation will move him. So we have to hope that he likes what TB has to say. If we want him to stay, of course.

hopper_182

Sep 25, 2008
I think he does want to be here, but would also like to be somewhere else if the right offer comes in. I don't know if there is any truth in the rumours of his large unqualified back staff being a blocker for other moves.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
At what stage does he put pen to paper? Once we have completed summer signings or before? Could get very messy if he decides to walk after the signings if we miss out on the quality of players he seems to be DEMANDING?

I hope he stays but bloody hell he does appear to be very high maintenance. Hard, as a fan, not to love him though and TB is as much of a fan as any of us.
To be honest, any signings will be on our radar regardless of what manager is in charge. They may take a punt on one or two the manager wants I.e Dahoud and Fati but generally the recruitment of players is not based purely on what the current manager wants.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
The cost of keeping RDZ is high.

- Wages
- Transfer promises to him
- FFP for failing to deliver on any of the promises from him.

He can up and leave. We get shafted.

I’m keen for him to stay but it’s easy to make unrealistic demands and use it as a reason for forcing a move. If he stays I hope there would be compromise.

Cbf for any more of these Ansu Fati style marketing moves. What a waste of money that was.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Blimey ! Not surprised

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh well. Onwards and upwards. Thanks for the memories Roberto.

it’s mutual agreement according to SSN.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here