Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you think Roberto De Zerbi wants to be here?

Do you think Roberto De Zerbi wants to be at Brighton?

• Total voters

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Sounds like he’s hanging the players out to dry here, from Naylor (Athletic)

Brighton have lost motivation - De Zerbi​

Brighton & Hove Albion head coach Roberto De Zerbi says his players have lost motivation since going out of the Europa League and seeing another chance of qualifying for Europe via a high league finish disappear.

A 4-1 defeat on aggregate against Roma in the last 16 of the Europa League in March has been followed by a run of four league defeats and two draws including today's 3-0 loss at Bournemouth.

De Zerbi, asked if a tough situation was due to injuries or other factors as well, said: "Injuries, for sure. Motivation as well.

"Motivation in football, I think (that is) 80 per cent of my work and in my time we kept a big challenge, a big target. In this moment, finishing the Europa League, too many points from the Europe position in the table, we are working for not a clear target.

"It can happen. It's normal, but I cannot accept a game without soul, because we are Brighton and we have to keep respect for ourselves, for our club, for our fans, and I am sorry for that.

"I am suffering a lot, but I have worked in football for 30 years and I know it can happen. We have to stop this moment quickly."
Well, that is a hell of an admission from a manager to say his players have lost motivation. He really should be looking at himself rather than ‘hanging up the washing.’
Dear oh dear.😳🙄

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Well, that is a hell of an admission from a manager to say his players have lost motivation. He really should be looking at himself rather than ‘hanging up the washing.’
Dear oh dear.😳🙄
He always said he was honest and that is an honest comment. I think identifying the truth is the first step in putting it right. He is human and with such high aspirations for the club he probably does feel deflated by the injuries and the results. Rather that than Potter's 'fans should remember the history of the club'....

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
He always said he was honest and that is an honest comment. I think identifying the truth is the first step in putting it right.
Hmm, why are they demotivated? They still had a lot to play for!
I’ve never managed a squad of highly paid sportsmen, but I have experienced management from being a young trainee to being a boss and lack of motivation in a team of people is often a reflection on the way they are being managed.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
For whatever the reason is, the players aren't being motivated by RDZ. As other posters said, that Lalanna interview post Fulham seems linked but who knows.

Those fragile, pampered and SLOW footballers are low on confidence and not playing for him. Why is he still our manager?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Although it may prove to be irrelevant, my last comment on this is be careful what you wish for.

I have been a manager of a 'team' over a period of years and we experienced highs and lows in motivation at different times that were caused by circumstances partly or wholly out of our control. In our case I think it's fair to say we dealt with low morale and became stronger for it... but it took time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What about you? Do you want to be here?

Somehow I doubt it :shrug:

But that's just my opinion. Although my opinion is of course very important. Very important indeed.

How about a thread on who thinks they may not be alive still by the time we next win? Or even the next time we play?

Fascinating question.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sounds like he’s hanging the players out to dry here, from Naylor (Athletic)

Brighton have lost motivation - De Zerbi​

Brighton & Hove Albion head coach Roberto De Zerbi says his players have lost motivation since going out of the Europa League and seeing another chance of qualifying for Europe via a high league finish disappear.

A 4-1 defeat on aggregate against Roma in the last 16 of the Europa League in March has been followed by a run of four league defeats and two draws including today's 3-0 loss at Bournemouth.

De Zerbi, asked if a tough situation was due to injuries or other factors as well, said: "Injuries, for sure. Motivation as well.

"Motivation in football, I think (that is) 80 per cent of my work and in my time we kept a big challenge, a big target. In this moment, finishing the Europa League, too many points from the Europe position in the table, we are working for not a clear target.

"It can happen. It's normal, but I cannot accept a game without soul, because we are Brighton and we have to keep respect for ourselves, for our club, for our fans, and I am sorry for that.

"I am suffering a lot, but I have worked in football for 30 years and I know it can happen. We have to stop this moment quickly."
By that he means that we have nothing tangible to strive for this season. Which is a fact. We can't win anything now.

And all you clever cloggs who imaging they have unearthed the Great Canker at the club, try running your assessment past me in conversational Latin ???

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’ve never spoken to the man so how would I know?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
When you hear the full quote you get the sense that he feels the players are not giving everything and that he accepts he needs to do something about it.
Next game is a big one then. He’ll want to see a reaction. Will he get it?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If he wants to be here he’s not showing it.

If he doesn’t, he hasn’t f**ked off.

This honestly has all the hallmarks of a slightly disappointing and needlessly emotional game of poker crossed with politics.

I suspect RDZ is hedging his bets. He’ll go if he gets a better offer in terms of ambition or his personal circumstances, but he doesn’t want to leave and burn bridges here.

It’s pretty far from ideal but we’ve hardly backed him, given our shit recruitment.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
If he wants to be here he’s not showing it.

If he doesn’t, he hasn’t f**ked off.

This honestly has all the hallmarks of a slightly disappointing and needlessly emotional game of poker crossed with politics.

I suspect RDZ is hedging his bets. He’ll go if he gets a better offer in terms of ambition or his personal circumstances, but he doesn’t want to leave and burn bridges here.

It’s pretty far from ideal but we’ve hardly backed him, given our shit recruitment.
Unfortunately, I think you’ve nailed it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Dahoud & Fati were his signings (big wages) and suggestion he was quite heavily involved in recommending Igor. As well as a £30M striker which I’m sure his predecessor would have loved rather then Maupay & Connolly as options. He was more than backed

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dahoud & Fati were his signings (big wages) and suggestion he was quite heavily involved in recommending Igor. As well as a £30M striker which I’m sure his predecessor would have loved rather then Maupay & Connolly as options. He was more than backed
He lost an entire midfield and was left with right back options of the broken Lamptey, the “reliable” Veltman, treacle boots Gross and cripple Milner. Yet he managed to coach Hinshelwood into being the best of the lot.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
By that he means that we have nothing tangible to strive for this season. Which is a fact. We can't win anything now.

And all you clever cloggs who imaging they have unearthed the Great Canker at the club, try running your assessment past me in conversational Latin ???
Cloggs? ClogGs? F***in' CloGGs? Not spelling the English bit correctly, but asking for replies in conversational Latin? OK, go for it!

But kindly take that cum grano salis.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Is there also maybe an element with RDZ that our poor form has meant that his 'big move' is essentially
scuppered and that he is pissed off at that happening? Result is an even worse form slum and dis-interest.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He needs to be sat in Bloom's office 7am tomorrow to explain himself. Depending on the shit he says depends if he is still manager by 7;05

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here