Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think players leaving our club are better then when they arrived?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Given what Gus asks of our players do you think those who have spent time here in general, are shaped into better footballers?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Then i would argue CMS, Sparrow, and maybe Croft for a NO.

Crofts had been languishing in League 2 when Slade got him here. After Gus had him playing for us, he went straight into the Championship with Norwich, was made skipper and played a few games in the Prem. I would argue that Gus did make him better.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Given what Gus asks of our players do you think those who have spent time here in general, are shaped into better footballers?

Yes and we still give them away for fcuking peanuts,which is why Norwich come knocking on the door again and again

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Brezovan was unwanted by Swindon after they nearly got relegated to league 2. The fans called him Flapper and mocked him, he was released and had trials with Hartlepool and another middling nothing club. He was without a club for 6 months and even went to see Swindon play a few times.

Today he is with a top 10 Championship club, having earnt his right to be here with his performances last season (on the whole!). He is deffinitely in the improved column. Almost unrecognisable in certain respects...

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Crofts had been languishing in League 2 when Slade got him here. After Gus had him playing for us, he went straight into the Championship with Norwich, was made skipper and played a few games in the Prem. I would argue that Gus did make him better.

I know the history but it hasn't happened this time he's a shadow of his former self, is Gus asking to much of some players with are style? For me the much me-lined Ashley Barnes has been shaped into what Gus wanted him to be a very adaptable player intelligent in many positions, some seem less able.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know the history but it hasn't happened this time he's a shadow of his former self, is Gus asking to much of some players with are style? For me the much me-lined Ashley Barnes has been shaped into what Gus wanted him to be a very adaptable player intelligent in many positions, some seem less able.

History shows that he improved from what he was. He's still better than a League 2 player now.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Brezovan was unwanted by Swindon after they nearly got relegated to league 2. The fans called him Flapper and mocked him, he was released and had trials with Hartlepool and another middling nothing club. He was without a club for 6 months and even went to see Swindon play a few times.

Today he is with a top 10 Championship club, having earnt his right to be here with his performances last season (on the whole!). He is deffinitely in the improved column. Almost unrecognisable in certain respects...

Oh come on i like Gus as much as next man but what could he add to his keeping apart from distribution choices, the rest is down to the goalkeeper coach!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Clearly Croft, Noone, Bennett, Murray, improved here.

Sparrow is at the end of his career, so declined naturally, and Gus turned against him.

Wood was useless in the last few games of 2011 and there was no clamour on nsc to sign him up.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Harley - Cr*p when he joined and cr*p when he left, hopefully never to return.
Holroyd - slightly different case. Not good enough when he joined and didn't become any better.
Dobbie - looked below average on his debut and showing no signs of getting the hang of it. Would like him to leave please and free up some wages.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh come on i like Gus as much as next man but what could he add to his keeping apart from distribution choices, the rest is down to the goalkeeper coach!

Who changed the goalkeeping coach? We got a new one in last year and sacked Tony Godden.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Noone is the odd one for me, and part of the reason I no longer wear the rosy specs, although still firmly on the bus.

He was what he was, we all knew his play and it never changed.
So when he left, irrespective what posters say now, nobody was too bothered and we were happy for the cash.

But the complete revelation that is Nooney, him now being the player he should have been but never was for Gus, doesn't sit right.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Noone is the odd one for me, and part of the reason I no longer wear the rosy specs, although still firmly on the bus.

He was what he was, we all knew his play and it never changed.
So when he left, irrespective what posters say now, nobody was too bothered and we were happy for the cash.

But the complete revelation that is Nooney, him now being the player he should have been but never was for Gus, doesn't sit right.

Gutted when Noone left and said it at the time.

Don't recall nsc'ers thinking Cardiff were fools paying £1.5m.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Gutted when Noone left and said it at the time.

Don't recall nsc'ers thinking Cardiff were fools paying £1.5m.

1.5 million for Nooney was a fcuking joke whoever agreed that deal should be marched off of the premises,good business my arse bens grandad .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here