Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think Hughton will be off if we miss out?

Do you think Hughton will be off if we miss out?

• Almost certainly

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Quite likely

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Definitely not

Votes: 140 90.3%

• Total voters

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't think so at the moment no.
IF we don't make it i don't think there are many better options. I can to see a PL team offering him a job at the moment as I do not see any that are really available for him. Watford no one has any idea and Everton will be looking for a big name to come in.
In the Championship Newcastle still have Rafa at the moment although he may still go. Even if he does can not see him going there especially after being sacked previously. Norwich will keep Adams and Villa looks like a job no one will want at the moment. Derby will be in a no better place than us either.
I fully expect him to be here no matter what and I think the club will do what they can to keep all the current players and add 2-3 more names, most likely 2 strikers and one in CM.
Anyway it will all be irrelevant as we will be in the Premier League anyway :)
Some Italian is going to Watford, and De Boer to Everton.

2 vacancies down.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
But the stark reality of the situation is that TB gave the club more money than ever before for this 2015/16 season.
Yet the club will start the 2016/17 season in exactly the same position that it started the 2014/15 after a comparatively frugal investment.

You seem to be spending rather a lot of someone else's money with absolutely no guarantee of return.

He's given more money because that is how the landscape has changed, allowing more losses. Check the fan Q&A for more on that.

I remember the first press conference in which they talked about longevity and how the club is very fond of stability in management, which is why they chose Chris. As someone has said above, I don't think automatic promotion was part of the realistic aims this season, even with, as you say 'more money than ever before'.

The first task was to avoid relegation, the second was probably to stabilise and push for playoffs. Next season will be very telling of Tony and the club's ambitions, we have never been in a stronger position or have had a better platform to push on with.

Tony will know how important it is to keep the stability of management and playing staff through the summer, and this may involve keeping Chris happy in acquiring the targets he wants. So I expect an even larger budget.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Only to a prem club...can't see any likely options at the moment though. I'd imagine our budget will be pretty big especially if Stephens and knockaert are sold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hutonthebeach

Apr 19, 2016
I don't think so at the moment no.
IF we don't make it i don't think there are many better options. I can to see a PL team offering him a job at the moment as I do not see any that are really available for him. Watford no one has any idea and Everton will be looking for a big name to come in.
In the Championship Newcastle still have Rafa at the moment although he may still go. Even if he does can not see him going there especially after being sacked previously. Norwich will keep Adams and Villa looks like a job no one will want at the moment. Derby will be in a no better place than us either.
I fully expect him to be here no matter what and I think the club will do what they can to keep all the current players and add 2-3 more names, most likely 2 strikers and one in CM.
Anyway it will all be irrelevant as we will be in the Premier League anyway :)

Norwich will keep who?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
He'll definitely have a job here if he wants it. The only things that could make him leave are:

1) A really good offer from somewhere else, or
2) A lack of investment or care about the team from the owners so that his job becomes an impossible task.

The first could happen - a club like Aston Villa or Newcastle could look at his record and think he could do a job for them. The second is unlikely, unless the board decide that this year's (potential) near miss means we should cut back a bit, which I can't see happening.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I can't see a top club coming in due to the current trend of foreign managers.

If I were CH I would be thinking that I've started something and would like to see it through to a satisfactory conclusion. He has bought some quality players in Knockeart, Kayal, Goldson, Murphy, Rosenior and added some good youngsters to the DS so he is clever with the budget.

Hopefully he can finish the job this season, two wins!

el punal

Has there been a lot of talk? This is literally the first time I've seen the subject come up.

I have the impression he's here for the long haul.

There hasn't been talk - unless some scurrilous rags are stirring it up. To be honest Chris Hughton admits that he never envisaged that the Albion would finish so high in the league this season. So I concur with your point about him being in for the long haul.

I am pretty certain that CH is a decent and honourable man who would commit his immediate future to the Albion, unlike a certain other previous manager who had problems with ceilings.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would not think he will go anywhere as he has already managed 2 of the obvious 3 favourites for automatic next year and will want to get one over them. However, I would think that he will want assurance that he can build our weak cover squad outside of the first XI in many crucial positions

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm sure there will be a number of clubs vying for CH's services. However, he's been there, done that, been stitched up by those, and probably now relishes working for a fully supportive chairman and board. It's a rare luxury in football nowadays.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
The Brighton job is a safe one for managers that like to stay in employment. Bloom will only sack them for a very good reason. He did it reluctantly with hyppia and we'll never know exactly why with poyet (who was angling for a new job anyway).

It's therefore not a job managers should take for granted. There is always the danger of leaving for a club that aren't as sympathetic or patient with managers and then it's tricky climbing back up the mangerial ladder. Just ask Gus.

I'd like to think hughton sees this.

I don't think it's that safe. He sacked Slade pretty quickly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm sure there will be a number of clubs vying for CH's services. However, he's been there, done that, been stitched up by those, and probably now relishes working for a fully supportive chairman and board. It's a rare luxury in football nowadays.

I dont agree that he will be sort after by many clubs in a better position than us. Mind it only takes 1.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think the understanding between Hughton and Bloom surpasses the relationship he has had with any of the former clubs he has managed. Hughton is free from boardroom interference and is 100% trusted by Bloom. For him and us it is a dream partnership at a very stable club.

I can see him becoming the longest current serving manager of a club with us, and maybe the only thing that could top success with us will be an opportunity to manage his country one day.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
No chance.
Irish job is all I'd worry about tempting him.
But he, clearly, loves it here and has a great relationship with Tony.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm sure there will be a number of clubs vying for CH's services.

I'm sure there won't be: name a couple of them.

The only vacancies in the top divisions are Everton (no chance); Newcastle (no chance); Villa (he'd be mad); Cardiff (downward step) Forest (he'd be mad) and (possibly) Derby

Other clubs in the lower half of the PL don't look options either: Swansea (have done well with Guidelin); Watford (just replaced manager); Bournemouth (Howe has job for life, if he wants it); Sunderland (had done brilliantly with Fat Sam); West Brom (have done with Pulis) and Palace ( really can't see him going there)

Really can't see which clubs are going to tempt him

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't think there will be a suitable vacancy in the PL until the October sackings happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here