Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you think Albion are going down?

Do you think Albion are going down?

• Total voters

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Having a squad lacking EPL level scorers is almost impossible to solve. GP’s not an alchemist.

That's why ironically I think we've done well to survive for 4 seasons, having come up and not really added an effective striker to what we had. I think we've done well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's why ironically I think we've done well to survive for 4 seasons, having come up and not really added an effective striker to what we had. I think we've done well.

Nip and tuck since August 2017, so many games lost, rare wins, raised blood pressures throughout Sussex on match days, rarely able to relax, surviving ... just.

I’ve said this before .... IF we stay up, I reckon Bloom will finally give us the scorers to make 2020/21 the last fighting relegation campaign.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Having a squad lacking EPL level scorers is almost impossible to solve. GP’s not an alchemist.

That is where adapting tactics comes in. Our defence is quite strong and wasnt it the great Alan Shearer who said as a striker Brighton having that extra touch all the time would drive him crazy.

We see glimpses of the solution our 6 game run without defeat was built around us keeping clean sheets not scoring more.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That is where adapting tactics comes in. Our defence is quite strong and wasnt it the great Alan Shearer who said as a striker Brighton having that extra touch all the time would drive him crazy.

We see glimpses of the solution our 6 game run without defeat was built around us keeping clean sheets not scoring more.

I agree. We finally had that cracked, making 1-0 wins doable.

Losing Solly and Webster was devastating.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I agree. We finally had that cracked, making 1-0 wins doable.

Losing Solly and Webster was devastating.

I know thats whats so hard. I judge Potter on the form since January 2020. It has been awful apart from the 9 games we came back from covid and the 6 game unbeaten run. All I'm sure about is Hughton won 18 games in the two season he had. Potter needs to win 4 of the next 11 to match that.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I know thats whats so hard. I judge Potter on the form since January 2020. It has been awful apart from the 9 games we came back from covid and the 6 game unbeaten run. All I'm sure about is Hughton won 18 games in the two season he had. Potter needs to win 4 of the next 11 to match that.

Results haven’t been good, but form has generally - if form can be assessed in anyway separated from results. I’ve think it has been very rare our performances have been awful. The most frustrating thing of this period is that performances being good haven’t delivered matching results. Them is the breaks.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Pretty much my thoughts.

I do think GP has been shafted with his striking options. But at the same time he does seem to make Tross and Maupay undroppable.

Tau and Zequiri don’t get a look in. Not even from the bench hardly. I know the answer to this will be “well the manager can’t be impressed with them in training..”. To that I say, are Tross and Maupay impressing that much in matches? Certainly not in terms of finishing.

It’s a shame as I truly believe GP gets most of our tactics spot on and creates umpteen chances per game.. he’s been let down by finishing pure and simple.

Yep agree with all of that. If you have a couple of centre forwards who are not scoring goals then there is pretty much nothing to lose by giving others a chance and creating competition for places. There we go. What do i know.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Results haven’t been good, but form has generally - if form can be assessed in anyway separated from results. I’ve think it has been very rare our performances have been awful. The most frustrating thing of this period is that performances being good haven’t delivered matching results. Them is the breaks.
I have no trouble understanding someone who says that our performances have generally been good. I agree with the statement. What i don't understand is anyone who says managers don't affect results. They make the most stupid comments like well Potter don't miss the penalty. Nobody said he did, but if one of the greatest ever strikers to grace the Premier League says he would be frustrated with all the extra touches players have then perhaps we should take note, with training being about having less touches.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
A travesty, but fair? The real table doesn’t lie.

It hurts but yes totally fair , we missed 2 pens at WBA , we destroyed the enemy and lost with the final kick of the ball and we blew it with Leicester . But we were screwed royally against Man Utd , Spurs away ( Lallana pen that wasn`t ) Fulham away Lallana goal ( handball my **** ) but it`s the same old story if you don`t take your chances you get punish:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Yep agree with all of that. If you have a couple of centre forwards who are not scoring goals then there is pretty much nothing to lose by giving others a chance and creating competition for places. There we go. What do i know.
This is what I don't get. Why is that not Potters fault? Why is that not Potter potentially having an affect on the result?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I have no trouble understanding someone who says that our performances have generally been good. I agree with the statement. What i don't understand is anyone who says managers don't affect results. They make the most stupid comments like well Potter don't miss the penalty. Nobody said he did, but if one of the greatest ever strikers to grace the Premier League says he would be frustrated with all the extra touches players have then perhaps we should take note, with training being about having less touches.

I think the comments are about how much a manager can affect results if hatfuls of chances are created.

We also don’t know that as well as Shearer post match saying he’d be frustrated with the extra touches - whether Potter was equally frustrated.

We don’t really know if having less touches is exactly what has been happening in training? These would be the type of things I’d expect TB to be keeping tabs on in terms of what is being done to improve results.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I think the comments are about how much a manager can affect results if hatfuls of chances are created.

We also don’t know that as well as Shearer post match saying he’d be frustrated with the extra touches - whether Potter was equally frustrated.

We don’t really know if having less touches is exactly what has been happening in training? These would be the type of things I’d expect TB to be keeping tabs on in terms of what is being done to improve results.
It has already been mentioned on here how perhaps keep playing the same non scoring strikers perhaps takes away competition in the squad. Isnt that how Potter affects results?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Question for the 75 who currently think we will drop through the relegation trap door, do you think we will do a ‘Norwich’ in the Championship next season?

I don't think we'll romp it like they have. I'm not too worried about losing players as they will be easier to replace at that level. But I haven't seen anything to suggest Potter could win 50% of the matches.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
This is what I don't get. Why is that not Potters fault? Why is that not Potter potentially having an affect on the result?

Well yes you have a point. I think the slack Potter is being given is because the midfield is so bloody good. The Albion are playing clubs like Spurs, Chelsea and all sorts off the park. It is one hell of an achievement. But yes, the object of the game is to score goals and they can't do it. Yes I think he should have created more competition for places by dropping players more often and giving others a chance.

But even if he had done that since October, there is no guarantee that we would have put more chances away. We will never know. I instinctively think it would have concentrated minds and we may have put a few more away and we might not be in quite the mess we are in, but reality is, that for all improving players on the training ground, keeping them on their toes by dropping them and the like, the forwards are only as talented as they are. But yes, it's Potters fault for not even trying for that extra 10% to 20%.

Is there however a bigger picture in the long term? Maybe, just maybe. If the midfield is Potters triumph then yes. If it's not just his triumph then maybe not. Equally the failure up front isnt just his mistake. He inherited most of those forwards. I doubt he bought any of them.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Well yes you have a point. I think the slack Potter is being given is because the midfield is so bloody good. The Albion are playing clubs like Spurs, Chelsea and all sorts off the park. It is one hell of an achievement. But yes, the object of the game is to score goals and they can't do it. Yes I think he should have created more competition for places by dropping players more often and giving others a chance.

But even if he had done that since October, there is no guarantee that we would have put more chances away. We will never know. I instinctively think it would have concentrated minds and we may have put a few more away and we might not be in quite the mess we are in, but reality is, that for all improving players on the training ground, keeping them on their toes by dropping them and the like, the forwards are only as talented as they are. But yes, it's Potters fault for not even trying for that extra 10% to 20%.

Is there however a bigger picture in the long term? Maybe, just maybe. If the midfield is Potters triumph then yes. If it's not just his triumph then maybe not. Equally the failure up front isnt just his mistake. He inherited most of those forwards. I doubt he bought any of them.

He signed Maupay, Welbeck and Zeqiri, gave debuts to Connolly and Tau.

He got rid of our only proven scorer.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

For me, he should put more enthasis on our defence. It our strength. When we have games where we see less of the ball, we dont park the bus and i like the way we play when we have possesion in those games. Its just Potter doesn't really want to play that way. For me we should play to our strength until we manage to get 3 more wins then he can go back to how he wants to play. That would impress me. That is what I want to see. It is so obvious what our weakness is,so there is no excuses.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This guy called it.

BAN THE FENCE.

I do regret including it. Complete cop out, hang your heads in shame those that voted Fence :thumbsup:

Although I did expect the majority to vote Fence

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here