Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Do you take an actual LUNCH HOUR?

Do you take a full hour break for lunch?

• Yes, always

Votes: 38 26.0%
  • No, never

Votes: 72 49.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 36 24.7%

• Total voters

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Always take the full hour as Im sitting at a PC from 7.30am & need a proper break...and if the weather is alright I make sure I go for a 10-15 mile bike ride.
Im lucky enough to work right on the edge of the Downs - so can be on the trails, or the roads, within minutes.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
ever thought to schedule meetings to cover lunch, or to do that peice of work you want to finish?

Well I'm out of all that now thank Christ, but carving out some personal time during the 'working' day was never an option on a regular basis on any of the projects I worked on. You could get away with maybe blocking off an hour as 'private' once in a blue moon, but when your meeting schedule is visible to all, the corporate pressure is always on to make yourself available.

Mind you, good to see that most of NSC appears to find time in their unrelenting work schedule to prioritise posting on here :wink:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Back when I first started working in an office pretty much everyone took an hour break for lunch and more like two on Friday when you went to the pub (unless you were the poor sod working in the call centre). I think it was even written into employment contracts.

Even before the pandemic this had morphed to a quick nip to the shops and a sandwich at the desk or now and again no lunch break at all.

Now, working from home, I've managed to make a sandwich from the leftovers in the fridge (and two bits of Farmhouse White from Flour Pot :wink: ) throw a ball for the dog in the garden for a while, wash up, listen to a quick hail / thunder storm and write this in less than 35 minutes, and, once it's posted will be back concentrating on work properly.

Does ANYONE take the full hour these days? And what do you do with it (I can guess what [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] 's answer to that might be).

Just about making ends meet I think you said and you’re still getting your bread from ‘Flour Pot” [emoji2357]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Self employed so can pretty well do what I want on Non Site Days.

Will be working for Surrey & Sussex Police on their Firing Ranges the rest of this week so won't be arguing with heavily tooled up blokes about my statutory right to a coffee break... :lolol:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
When I'm in the office I usually take a lunch hour as I go for walk around Kings Cross down the canal, and then come back to eat. When I'm at home I eat and work, check for some non league, send a few emails to Paul Barber, you know the usual stuff.

Suspect you would have taken a full hour more often had the Flying Scotsman not shut

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
When office based I often would just go and get lunch, eat at my desk and essentially work through

My first year remote I followed this path as we were so busy and adjusting to the new world

However made a point this year of taking a full hour and often watch an episode of a box set

I’ve been enjoying Queen of the south recently [emoji1303]

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My old job, we had to have 1hr for lunch, I was categorically told I could not have 30 minutes . . .new job 30 minutes and a 40 hr week . . . . so basically the same thing. A lot of people used to leave the building and just sit in their car otherwise you end up working. .

However heroic you think you may be a proper break is a good thing. And flexibility likewise, assuming a mutually respected level of professionalism.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Don't drive though.

8acf8d832263d5a7a24e4c75865da1eb.jpg

Interesting edit…..You need to make your mind up, do you drive or don’t you[emoji6]

Jul 7, 2003
When I'm in the office I usually take a lunch hour as I go for walk around Kings Cross down the canal, and then come back to eat. When I'm at home I eat and work, check for some non league, send a few emails to Paul Barber, you know the usual stuff.

Surely you need longer than an hour to read the replies from Paul Barber?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I stop for 10 mins for a sandwich. I am a grafter.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Don’t get me started on the ones that heat, then eat their lunch whilst chatting to colleagues and then go for a full hour lunch.

Often the ones who said they came in early (to heat and eat their f****** breakfast and chat to their mum on the phone)!!

Mods - please move this post to the Bell Cheeses at Work thread :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
8acf8d832263d5a7a24e4c75865da1eb.jpg

Interesting edit…..You need to make your mind up, do you drive or don’t you[emoji6]

Have you nothing better to do?

It's obviously a gag. The next response would have been "it's invisible".

Anyway, must dash, those scallops won't cook themselves.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I have never taken a ‘lunch hour.’ In two different careers dating back to 1988 I have worked through lunch around 98% of the time. The balance were liquid lunches many years ago that lasted considerably longer than an hour.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Being SE I can take a break whenever I want I often have a bit of breakfast and then work through until either the task is finished or I’m hungry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here