Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Do you still watch MOTD?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Yes I watch it, usually on a Sunday morning before the rest of the house has got up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No.

Mainly because I only watch Brighton and a few other games per season on TV.

I think Lineker has got ‘too big for his boots’ as well…..
Used to like Wrighty though.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
More to the point, does anyone still watch MOTD without knowing the results for the games, and always look away when told to do so by the BBC News reader just before MOTD starts.

I haven't watched MOTD for years.
Over here, NBC sports make 10 minute highlights of each PL game. I always try to avoid hearing the scores for non-Albion matches so that I can watch these highlights not knowing the results in advance. They used to show these on their Peacock streaming service but the stupid twassocks would display the result at the start of each highlight which meant remembering to cover up the screen to not give the game away.

Thankfully I discovered the same highlights are also shown on youtube, without the scoreline, so I now watch them on there instead.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I watch it partly for the content - but mostly for the warm feeling of nostalgia it provides; the sense that whilst it seems everything is continually changing, in many ways everything is just the same.

I don’t buy into the whole “the punditry is rubbish” schtick. Most of it is just opinion and I can generally cope with differing opinions or insights.

So yes, I like it and find it provides a nice bookend to my Saturdays. I’d miss it if disappeared or veered too far from its current format.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I tape it every episode (on that series thing), often start to watch it and fall asleep, and then maybe watch it back on a Sunday morning and occasionally fall asleep again. If I think I'm going to fall asleep I fast forward though all the 'analysis' stuff. Probably see between 30-80% of it :thumbsup:
I tape it, but often watch it live with something red, and sometimes in full when I haven't fallen asleep. Will often catch up with the missed bits over the next day or two. I like much of the analysis -- Murphy especially, Jenas when he does it and lately Ashley Williams is good too.
I always fast-forward through their advert/filler bits though.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
There is no better highlights programme than MOTD. Sky cater for the "can't concentrate for longer than 2 minutes highlights" brigade as well as the nerd who wants to watch Monday's 0-0 back from beginning to end. No-one does the bit of everything as well as MOTD though and nothing has ever come close.

Cut the VAR chat - we all know it's shit - and sack Linekar and it would be perfect.

Wallace

Nov 9, 2016
In spite of Linekar who is and always has been an absolute tool I still enjoy watching it. Although I don't always agree with the punditry it's a really important part of the show as it gives the viewer a lot of insight into the game. It's great for younger viewers learning about the game and how individual players can influence a match.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Off and on, see about half the Saturday shows. Reckon it will last as a lot of people without sky etc. that probably like to keep up to date on the Premier league. I'm sure it would do just as well with cheaper low profile presenters. Certainly don't watch for Lineker!

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Lineker doesn't bother me, but I can't listen to Alex Scott mangling the English language. 'Nottinnam Forest cummin up next' :facepalm:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Watch the Saturday show on iPlayer every week. Only watch Match of the Day 2 if there is a particularly interesting game. Often watch it on the tube as I move about town during the week. The ability to download it is a godsend.

It’s great. I love it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No. Gave up when Lineker decided he was more important than the Government spouting this and that without any responsibility. Go and try and be an MP working ten times harder than him for a fraction of his wage.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
I don't but try to find something interesting to post about or do you have little to entertain you on IOW
I don't but try to find something interesting to post about or do you have little to entertain you on IOW
Quite a number of NSC’ters have replied with meaningful contributions. Seems that some contributors have a chip that they can’t remove.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here