Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you remember when Fat of the Land came out?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Bought it on tape. Being almost as solitary as I am now, listened to it through headphones in a flat in north London. Was pretty terrified. As openings go, SMBU was like summink from another planet - not so much the song, but the music and the use of a kind of kinetic, alien production. Didn't really listen to any of the singles it produced, still don't. Diesel Power, Serial Thrilla particularly built for listening to on the underground, trains and buses. The bassline on Climbatize felt like What Evil Lurks grown up and five times bigger. Cover art is amazing - I nearly bought it again the other day. Spent years trying to dress like them, ultimately decorated my kitchen in the monochrome. My mate bought me the album t-shirt for my 13th birthday, still got it. Probably the best mainstream techno album of all time. Liam says they aren't as appreciated as Britpop bands but they're pretty much the only band from that period who can sell out arenas for £60 a pop and produced singles predominantly loved by new teenage listeners.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah I remember the anticipation and also remember being ever so slightly disappointed with Fat of the Land. I've obviously still listened to it so many times, and I probably prefer it now (it's got a nostalgic tinge to it now that I can't shake), but genuinely remember thinking at the time "This isn't up to 'Jilted' standards".

My musical equivalent of the OP is two years prior, when 'What's the Story' came out. That was that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yeah I remember the anticipation and also remember being ever so slightly disappointed with Fat of the Land. I've obviously still listened to it so many times, and I probably prefer it now (it's got a nostalgic tinge to it now that I can't shake), but genuinely remember thinking at the time "This isn't up to 'Jilted' standards".

My musical equivalent of the OP is two years prior, when 'What's the Story' came out. That was that.

See your first paragraph for my reaction to What's the story :) Still think Definitely Maybe was better.

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
Another vote for Jilted here. As much as I thought Fat Of The Land had stand out moments, I thought it had more 'filler' the previous efforts and it was always going to struggle following on from Jilted.

All that said I saw them on the FOTL tour at Reading Rivermead, from what my addled brain remembers it was pretty special.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Comparing Jilted with FOTL is difficult. Breakbeat/rave/jungle vs techno/electronica/punk. Poison is the bridge between the two.

Forgot about Mindfields. Layering of vocals as instruments.

Mind you Nasty does sound a lot like This is Outrageous from Peep Show. I wish Maxim was my gym buddy.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I enjoyed it at the time,I was more into traditional rock but I saw them live a few times. Was at The Reading Festival when they had that "spat" with the Beastie Boys. Was quite a fresh and new sound in 97 but very much of it's time. Now anyone with access to Cubase can make that stuff in an afternoon and judging by their latest efforts, they just have.

But yes, '91-2000 was a cracking few years, a decade some might say, of tip top music.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Was anyone else here at the Radiohead gig at Glastonbury in 1997? It was a truly wonderful experience

Indeed I was.

The Prodge were also in attendance that year. It was muddy as ****

1997Poster.jpg

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I enjoyed it at the time,I was more into traditional rock but I saw them live a few times. Was at The Reading Festival when they had that "spat" with the Beastie Boys. Was quite a fresh and new sound in 97 but very much of it's time. Now anyone with access to Cubase can make that stuff in an afternoon and judging by their latest efforts, they just have.

But yes, '91-2000 was a cracking few years, a decade some might say, of tip top music.

I was at that Reading too. Remember thinking what an absolute farce the "spat" was. I assumed it was just a publicity stunt but further reading on the matter suggests it was all genuine. As if the Prodigy were going to just jettison their most recent single from the set list. Absolute pisstake from the Beasties.

As regards knocking up an album on your computer. I recall Liam Howlett admitted he'd put together most of the generally poor Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned on a flight back from somewhere, using Reason on his laptop.

He seemed to make more of an effort with the follow up, Invaders Must Die, but has really just rinsed the shouty electro punk formula for their most recent effort which I think stinks.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
I was at that Reading too. Remember thinking what an absolute farce the "spat" was. I assumed it was just a publicity stunt but further reading on the matter suggests it was all genuine. As if the Prodigy were going to just jettison their most recent single from the set list. Absolute pisstake from the Beasties.

As regards knocking up an album on your computer. I recall Liam Howlett admitted he'd put together most of the generally poor Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned on a flight back from somewhere, using Reason on his laptop.

He seemed to make more of an effort with the follow up, Invaders Must Die, but has really just rinsed the shouty electro punk formula for their most recent effort which I think stinks.

Spitfire, Girls, Action Radar and Shoot Down are crackers off Always Outnumbered. Remember listening to Shoot Down on repeat at Watford away once, sad man that I am.

Omen is alright off Invaders. Warrior's Dance would have been an elder brother of No Good if it wasn't for the awful vocal and the cringeworthy down-with-the-kids bit at the end.

Dirtchamber Sessions was a pretty formative intro to mixing for me.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Ah yes, I still listen to Dirtchamber sessions. I think it's track 2, Bomb The Bass/Jane's Addiction etc. That's a blinding mix.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Was anyone else here at the Radiohead gig at Glastonbury in 1997? It was a truly wonderful experience

Yep. That performance still remains the best live performance I have ever seen. A few have come close but everything about that night was awesome.

Seen the prodigy live many times and they are another band who really get their energy across live so much more than on record. I remember seeing them in a tent at the Stanmer park festival. I forget which year but they were brilliant and the crowd were mental.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here