Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Do you personally want interest rates (the base rate) to go up, down or stay the same?

Do you personally want interest rates to go up, down or stay the same?

• I want them to go up

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • I want them to go down

Votes: 64 68.1%
  • I want them to stay the same

Votes: 11 11.7%

• Total voters

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I want them to go down, but I think we’re in for a period of rates tacking back and forth as we react to global (and domestic) economic news.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
I, personally, don’t like to see my nephews and nieces paying more and more for their mortgages while I’m getting more and more for my savings. But I understand that to kill inflation you have to suppress spending, and it’s the younger generation that tend to spend more, so you increase interest rates to take money from them and give it to savers who’ll horde it. I’d like to understand why just increasing taxes wouldn’t have the same effect of suppressing spending without disproportionally clobbering the young.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Quite annoyed that we changed our cash ISA to an ethical stocks and shares ISA to 'make our money work harder' the week before Putin invaded Ukraine. Since then interest rates on what would have been our old ISA have gone up, and the stocks and shares ISA has plummeted.

So, personally, I'd like interest rates to drop so that I don't feel so bad about our decision!!

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I, personally, don’t like to see my nephews and nieces paying more and more for their mortgages while I’m getting more and more for my savings. But I understand that to kill inflation you have to suppress spending, and it’s the younger generation that tend to spend more, so you increase interest rates to take money from them and give it to savers who’ll horde it. I’d like to understand why just increasing taxes wouldn’t have the same effect of suppressing spending without disproportionally clobbering the young.
The world we exist in is fundamentally unfair and favours people with money, it’s horrible.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stabilise more or less where they are perhaps and not be prone to rapid movements at all………reasonable returns for savers and mortgages (our eldest is just about to take out her first one) still reasonably affordable and historically still quite low (wouldn’t want kids to experience the pain of 14% mortgages as we did :down: )

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Up obviously - I have savings and no mortgage!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I have savings and no mortgage. But I would want them to go down. Folk are struggling.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I have savings and no mortgage. But I would want them to go down. Folk are struggling.
I gave Mustafa the answer he was hoping to hear to create a divisive thread - but of course I don’t want interests to go up because people are struggling including friends at work and my neices/nephews with trying to get mortgages etc but I don’t want really them to drop much lower either, I depend on my monthly interest payments from fixed term savings to top up my income at the moment and I’m still struggling at the end of the month - no holidays, no car, no new clothes, no nights out - Brighton football matches (and getting to them has by far been my biggest expenditure this year after utilities and food.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Zero insight from the OP why he posted this thread in the first place
I suspect Musty has gone mad again and will flounce soon

Agree -
Disagree -
Ruel Fox -

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Problems for people if it goes up, problems for people if it goes down. Maybe for now it could stay the same until someone decent can come into power and improve the situation.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Go down. To reduce inflation money needs to be taken out of the economy. The only place it is going now is to the wealthy.
I'd much rather see lower interest rates and tax used to take money away. This could then be used to address child poverty amongst other things

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here