Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you know....

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Yup, but then I'm 55 and use the SUV (Slightly Updated Version) regularly. :wave:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Yep, and I'm 31.

Going to an assortment of CofE primary schools and being forced to go to Sunday school and church as a kid have left their mark.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
But there are several versions.

Yes, I always trip up on "trespasses" / "those who trespass against us" in England, having been brought up with the Kirk's "debts" / "debtors". I'm still word-perfect on the Scottish version at age 39.

Being reminded of the difference always makes me wonder whether it reveals anything meaningful about the national psyche of each country, that the emblematic sin in England relates to failure to respect land ownership, and the emblematic sin in Scotland relates to owing money.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
44 know it all. But enough about me...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Harold be thy name?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yes, I always trip up on "trespasses" / "those who trespass against us" in England, having been brought up with the Kirk's "debts" / "debtors". I'm still word-perfect on the Scottish version at age 39.

Debts? I remember two versions of it, one referring to trespasses/ trespassers (the common version round these parts I believe), and one referring to sins/ sinners. Debtors is a new one on me!

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
I'm 42 remember every word, I think we ended every assembly at primary school with it.
Girlfriend is 27 and remembered all but a few words...

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
No. 41 years old. Still remember the day I discovered it. I was about 13 years old in assembly when the headmaster said let us say the lords prayer. Everybody including my closest friends recited it and I didn't have a clue what was going on. Strange experience.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Debts? I remember two versions of it, one referring to trespasses/ trespassers (the common version round these parts I believe), and one referring to sins/ sinners. Debtors is a new one on me!

As far as I know the debts & debtors version is the standard Church Of Scotland one. I always thought debts were an odd thing to be asking God to forgive -- and the idea of a Scot forgiving his debtors was obvious nonsense -- although "debtors" does scan rather better than "thosewhotrespassagainstus".

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm 42 remember every word, I think we ended every assembly at primary school with it.
Girlfriend is 27 and remembered all but a few words...

I bet you remember nearly all the words to Morning Has Broken too.

A reflection of a 1980s education.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I only knew about tree passers until today/ Can my debts be forgiven?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Not religious in any way shape or form religion is evil
But yes I know that thing off by heart even when it other bits were added
" for thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, for ever and ever "
wasnt added until sometime in the 70's it's not in the original prayer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here