Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you have an American Express credit card?

Do you have an American Express credit card (or other Amex product)?

• Yes, had one for a while (work)

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Yes, had one for a while (personal)

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Yes, got since Albion sponsorship (work)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, got since Albion sponsorship (personal)

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • No, but thinking about it (personal)

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • No, not for me thanks

Votes: 77 51.7%
  • I work there

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Our simple process is...

- Buy all groceries and petrol from Tesco. Retain Clubcard points until there is a boost with an enhanced conversion rate running, and then convert them to Virgin miles.
- Use the Virgin Atlantic cards for ALL purchases everywhere. There is a free card and a c£150/year card. I use the latter for the enhanced miles it rewards.

You can also get the Amex Gold Rewards card - which is free for the first year - hit the early spend threshold that triggers a bonus reward and then convert all points to Virgin miles. Then "introduce" your spouse/partner/whatever to the card, earning you both bonuses and they repeat the spending. Cancel both cards when done. You used to be able to rinse and repeat this every six months, but I understand this loophole has been closed now.

Doing this, which doesn't involve spending anything we wouldn't otherwise do, nor spending anywhere we wouldn't otherwise go, we've flown Premium and Upper using miles a fair few times, even in school Summer holidays.

I take it you visit this site then? If you don't, it sounds bang up your street...

https://www.headforpoints.com/

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I pay for the Amex BA Premier card. The benefits outweigh the cost (£140/year) massively. Spending 10k pa gets me a Companion ticket for any reward flight I book, so essentially a BOGOF (except taxes). So far I've always been able to use this on a long haul business class flight meaning its usually worth at least a couple of grand. The Avios for general expenditure are good too and bolster what I get through my BA membership card.

Acceptability really isn't much of an issue these days. Where it is, I put virtually all other expenditure on a (free) Hilton-branded Barclaycard. This gives me an automatic Hilton Honors Gold Card and enough Hilton points a year for several free hotel stays, plus free breakfasts, room upgrades etc on virtually every stay.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Another with the Amex BA Premier card. Not only do the air miles build nicely, but you also appear to have a better chance of being upgraded when you fly with BA. Most places seem to accept it these days.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Disagree as I have negotiated much better rates with other card providers so never offer Amex to customers anymore

He is right, you’re wrong. AMEX is cheapest for small business. FACT

AMEX charge (large) merchants more because AMEX Cardholders spend more (otherwise big/smart business wouldn’t pay it)

I can use mine (with huge/endless benefits) everywhere I wish to and no where I don’t

Merchants that don’t accept do not understand/appreciate the strong business case for doing so and/or AMEX will not lower their rate enough and essentially undercut themselves to achieve acceptance cardholders don’t really want anyway

AMEX benefits outweigh the other networks 10/1, if I can’t use it 1/100 who cares

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I had a duo American Express/Mastercard for years but Lloyd's have just got shot of the amex one, don't know why.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I've had the Amex Nectar card since 2005 and use it for over 90% of my purchases with no problem. Usually earn about 3000 points a month which equates to about £15. Mind you the annual fee is only £25 so I'm about £150+ up a year. I pay it off each month so interest isn't a problem.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
He is right, you’re wrong. AMEX is cheapest for small business. FACT

AMEX charge (large) merchants more because AMEX Cardholders spend more (otherwise big/smart business wouldn’t pay it)

I can use mine (with huge/endless benefits) everywhere I wish to and no where I don’t

Merchants that don’t accept do not understand/appreciate the strong business case for doing so and/or AMEX will not lower their rate enough and essentially undercut themselves to achieve acceptance cardholders don’t really want anyway

AMEX benefits outweigh the other networks 10/1, if I can’t use it 1/100 who cares
Not sure how you can make that claim when you have no idea the rates I have negotiated with my provider

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here