Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you have a land line? How much do you use it ?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If you are with Virgin, you have to have a landline, it is a con, end off. They run broadband through fibre optic so a phone line is not required, they add it on to make even more money.

Anyone else, has to have a landline to run broadband through BT, so they charge you for it so BT get their money.

You cannot cancel your landline with any company, including Sky if you want broadband, end of.

Virgin have by far and away the best broadband, it is fibre, it don't get any better. Do you want 20mb,60mb, 100mb with Virgin or do you want 2 or 5 or 10, or whatever everyone else is offering?

Edit: someone mentioned using mobile, yes, yes you can, then you don't need a landline. Guess what? Depending on what you use your broadband for, ie downloads etc. mobile broadband won't compare until 4G comes in.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think land lines will fall by a large percentage in years to come,i have also answered my earlier question on Near Field Communication,but it won't be long before you will not need a land line or cable to get internet broadband,surly\?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Apparently i can use my mobile as a router using something called NFC Technology for broadband to my laptop-but i might be wrong...

Perhaps somebody more technical can confirm or rubbish this?

technically you can by using Wifi, but the networks have blocked tethering it seems for all but the top packages. you can for instance buy a "mifi" pacakge now which uses a pebble like device with a SIM to connect over the mobile networks. NFC is for electonic wallets and stuff, over near-touching distances.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Yes - about 18 hours every day for the internet (always got radio or tv on it while working from home) - For calls maybe twice a year?? Anyone who calls it (now all grandparents are dead) is a bill :(

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Yeah I have the large package.......ahem. No seriously.

Mine is extra large, however rather than accept praise I would like to question whether this package naming has confused as many as I think it might ie all this size when actual TVs can be described as such. I think it's ludicrous, am I alone?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
technically you can by using Wifi, but the networks have blocked tethering it seems for all but the top packages. you can for instance buy a "mifi" pacakge now which uses a pebble like device with a SIM to connect over the mobile networks. NFC is for electonic wallets and stuff, over near-touching distances.

:thumbsup:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I need my phone line to call BT when the internet is down again

i use my mobile "unlimited" minutes with 300 extra 800, 0845 and 0870 minutes for said occasions....don't come cheap but at £35/month plus 2GB of internet usage too,what more could i get from buying top ups at the same cost? I don't waste money at the bookies for example so that is my luxury.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
If you are with Virgin, you have to have a landline, it is a con, end off. They run broadband through fibre optic so a phone line is not required, they add it on to make even more money.

Anyone else, has to have a landline to run broadband through BT, so they charge you for it so BT get their money.

You cannot cancel your landline with any company, including Sky if you want broadband, end of.

Virgin have by far and away the best broadband, it is fibre, it don't get any better. Do you want 20mb,60mb, 100mb with Virgin or do you want 2 or 5 or 10, or whatever everyone else is offering?

Edit: someone mentioned using mobile, yes, yes you can, then you don't need a landline. Guess what? Depending on what you use your broadband for, ie downloads etc. mobile broadband won't compare until 4G comes in.

If you are with virgin you do not HAVE to have a phone line. Fact.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Only got the landline for sky broadband. The only people who call it are either of our parents. There are only 6 people who know it.

When we signed up we opted for ex directory, and we've started to get cold callers on it. Sky must have sold our number to a company, and its now starting to be spread around. Bunch of *******.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Only got one because of Having SKY& broadband, never use it and if it rings we just ignore it

Let me get my head around this, you have a landline, don't use it to ring out, and if anyone tries to contact you on it you ignore it by just letting it ring, why don't you unplug it or just mute it ???
Not thought it through have you :lol:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Let me get my head around this, you have a landline, don't use it to ring out, and if anyone tries to contact you on it you ignore it by just letting it ring, why don't you unplug it or just mute it ???
Not thought it through have you :lol:

The phone is now unplugged from the socket:thumbsup:
I think it's only ever rang about 3/4 times not any more though:wink:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I use mine on a Thursday morning at 7.57 and 28 seconds to book a football pitch the following Thursday. The lines open at 8am, so i have to be able to set myself up to be early in the clue and for the call to last long enough. Mobile only allows a minute before it tells me the caller shan't answer. Landline gives me 5 minutes, so i have until 8.02 and 32 seconds to get through and book, if possible. Other than that, good god no. I have no idea of my number either.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I heard that if you don't have a landline it is difficult to get credit.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I have a landline and use it for old fashioned phone calls as they are free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here