Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you get any "extras" from work at Christmas

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Christmas lunch at a local restaurant, week Friday.
A complimentary hamper, worth a couple of hundred quid but we pay BIK tax on that.
Notification of annual bonus, to be tipped into January's salary.

I thought you were a firefighter? Are you not doing that any more?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
One company company I worked for years ago did away with Christmas bonuses and time off for a Christmas lunch. The bad feeling in the office was significant. People stopped going above and beyond what was asked of them and the company's profits went way down. Still the owner could not complain. You damage goodwill and people will do their basic work objectives and nothing more. And rightly so.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I work in the public sector and get no paid for extras at Xmas. The priv day that we used to enjoy has been taken away from us by George "Scrooge" Osbourne.

I wonder if others would complain if Public Sector workers got the kind of extras that have been mentioned in this thread - which of course would be paid for by the tax payer.

We have had the priv days added into extra annual leave (entitlement has gone up from 30 to 31.5 days).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
BT once gave two bottles of wine at Christmas (around 1990 I guess).
There were a few people who refused them for religeous reasons or somesuch and no-one knew where theirs' went, we assumed the managers had had a really happy Christmas. A few months later a couple of us were working in a store room in Withdean Exchange and we found them stuck behind some equipment - a dozen bottles of piat d'or which we liberated, took to our yard and shared them out in an impromptu tasting session.

BTI only gave out these incentives if you did a duty on Christmas Day :angry: I remember the 2 bottles of wine , plus in other years a bottle of champagne and smoked salmon , box of chocolates , truffles , whisky glasses and a raffle ticket to win top prize of £250. When I moved up to Grimsby it was a case of be thankful of having the taxi fares paid out if you were in on Christmas Day which was done begrudgingly because I was a compulsory transferee.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My £20 gift card from work this year went towards the cost of replacing our microwave which died at the beginning of this month.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Our privilege day has had to be added to our annual leave as it was a gift from the Queen to civil servants at her coronation, not something some old Scrooge like politician could remove at a whim.

We have had the priv days added into extra annual leave (entitlement has gone up from 30 to 31.5 days).

I told him that.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
as a sub contracting sparky, have a few times been laid off the week before xmas due to work quietening down. always grateful for a bit of a holiday that time of year.......

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Which "attitudes" are they? Genuine question.

The attitude that says: We have come to the end of another year so I need a reward in addition to my normal wage just because we have come to the end of another year.

The same bollocks as annual pay rises because I have stayed in my job another year.

The delivery of performance based bonuses because I am better at my job and have improved my performance/turnover/profitability I have no problem with at all.

Does that help?

Porkydale

Jun 6, 2011
Some examples of unusual things that we've instigated over the last few years:

A member of staff has a full Board seat. They are elected for a one year term by the staff. Managers have no vote.

Each year, we invite Unions in to pitch for members. in 2013, no staff member (to my knowledge) joined, though it wouldn't bother me if they did.

We have an annual promotion cycle (April). The first and second level managers are elected by the staff below them in the hierarchy. I determine how many managerial jobs are vacant each year and retain a veto, though I haven't used the veto in 4 years.

A list of everyone's salary is pinned to the notice board. Obviously, we insert a clause into people's contracts allowing us to do it. The huge benefit is that it MAKES managers be absolutely sure that they can justify the salary awards they make, which they should be doing anyway, but in a secret situation many managers do not.

If a staff member who has been employed for a minimum of 7 years leaves and starts their own business, we will give them a £50k start-up equity injection in return for a flat 5% stake in their new venture. 7 years' service is all that is required, we figure that if they stayed with us for 7 years they must be pretty good folk, otherwise they'd have left or we would have asked them to.

Every 5 years, we give every staff member a 3 month paid sabbatical.

There are many more things, but this is just a sample.

On the flip side, here are some of the demands I make:

At work, you will devote 100% of your attention and effort to making the business succeed.

If we need to get hold of you outside normal hours, you must be available within 4 hours for a telephone call. We give every consultant a mobile phone to facilitate this, and we rarely use the requirement, but if an emergency comes up and you're the only person who has the required knowledge, our commitment to our customer means we have to get them an answer within 6 hours.

No politics (small p) are ever tolerated.

If you lie to any staff member about any work-related matter and we catch you, you're fired. No second chances.

If you breach internal (e.g. the staff member who sits on the Board talks about what is discussed) or client confidentiality and we catch you, you're fired. No second chances.

As I say, an unusual culture, but one that I always wanted to work in through my 20's and 30's and never found. It's not for everyone, but those who like it, thrive.

Did you find a reason why no member was appointed to the position ,i am really interested for a number of reasons which i wont go to on here.The rest of your posts i find really positive and a future way companies should be looking .

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No - I left earlier this year.

Oh ok. I thought for a minute the Government had sorted out some sort of deal with the FBU to stop them going on strike again :)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Few on here seem to be unhappy that they have to pay a contribution towards a staff Xmas meal. I'm an IT contractor and always insist I pay all, or a contribution, as this helps me define my status under IR35.

Sure some of you will say, IT contractors can afford that anyway, but I'm just as much a part of the team [in my eyes anyway].

I operate under my own limited company, so I could give myself a bonus if I chose. But since I've not worked since March this year, times are tight, so not this time.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The attitude that says: We have come to the end of another year so I need a reward in addition to my normal wage just because we have come to the end of another year.

The same bollocks as annual pay rises because I have stayed in my job another year.

The delivery of performance based bonuses because I am better at my job and have improved my performance/turnover/profitability I have no problem with at all.

Does that help?

Not really.

Being given a bonus doesn't mean the person receiving it had an "attitude" that they deserved it.

Do I think I deserve my bonus and all-expense paid meal? No.
Will I still take it to help me financially? Of course.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Not really.

Being given a bonus doesn't mean the person receiving it had an "attitude" that they deserved it.

Do I think I deserve my bonus and all-expense paid meal? No.
Will I still take it to help me financially? Of course.

I'd agree with that. I get my bonus but I don't think I'm entitled to it (except when it was written into my contract), I treat it as a bonus - some people don't, they expect it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Did you find a reason why no member was appointed to the position ,i am really interested for a number of reasons which i wont go to on here.The rest of your posts i find really positive and a future way companies should be looking .

I don't understand your question. If you're referring to the Staff Board seat, someone has been elected by the staff and appointed by me every year the scheme has been running. If you're referring to why no one has chosen to join a union (afaik), no, I don't know why. The only way I could find out would be to ask every employee, which would be a ridiculous waste of time. Further, it would be an invasion of privacy and the employee doesn't have to tell me anyway.

Does that answer the question? If not, feel free to try again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here