Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you get any "extras" from work at Christmas

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I work in the public sector and get no paid for extras at Xmas. The priv day that we used to enjoy has been taken away from us by George "Scrooge" Osbourne.

I wonder if others would complain if Public Sector workers got the kind of extras that have been mentioned in this thread - which of course would be paid for by the tax payer.

Our privilege day has had to be added to our annual leave as it was a gift from the Queen to civil servants at her coronation, not something some old Scrooge like politician could remove at a whim.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'll be getting leathered on Friday at the Oval. Only some wine paid for, and then off for some sambuccas and pints at a local south London pub. And in January the department have their Christmas do at £12 a head.
The chief exec is giving me back the £20 i spent on an Argos tree and decorations, including a deerhead on a stick too.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I get a day's pay, a bottle of wine, a box of chocolates (normally celebrations or the like) and a bottle of my choice...

Thought that was a bit shitty until reading some of the other posts on here!

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
The company I work for are based in Atlanta, so every year (today in fact) they fly the entire overseas staff over for a big party lasting a couple of days-the real bonus is that they then pay for internal flights,hotels,food,booze etc to where ever you want to go-we piss off up to New York for the weekend. In line for a cash bonus, and not far off winning ( earning) a trip for me and the mrs to Cancun in Feb-not the worst company I've ever worked for

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I might come back to this thread next time I see you private sector workers moaning about the "cushy" public sector :)

I get nothing at all as a Christmas Bonus, nor do I expect anything.

This would be the same whichever sector I worked in.

Some unbelievable attitudes on here, no wonder the Country is Googled with work ethics like these......

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I get nothing at all as a Christmas Bonus, nor do I expect anything.

This would be the same whichever sector I worked in.

Some unbelievable attitudes on here, no wonder the Country is Googled with work ethics like these......

Well, there's two sides to that because Goldstone76 seems to treat his employees very well and runs several successful business's so there must be some good in splashing out for your staff. I imagine it nurtures a sense of respect on both sides and creates a productive workplace.

I have never expected a huge bonus or party but a company that treats it's staff to some degree over the festive period is probably a far more productive environment than one that doesn't do anything. I've worked in both types of company. Some were huge companies that could have easily afforded to do at least something for their staff did next to nothing for it's staff and generally had a negative feel to the workplace as the sentiment of not giving anything back to staff ran into other areas of work, not just Christmas time. And other places that cannot give much but do what they can, a modest meal, bottle of wine or similar and the work environment the whole year through was far better for it as they were generally just nicer to staff in other work areas.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I imagine it nurtures a sense of respect on both sides and creates a productive workplace.

This is precisely why I do it. Both reasons you cite are important. I want to create a workplace where management and staff respect the other, which, if successful, leads, imo, to a more productive, and therefore, more profitable business. A more profitable business allows me to reward the staff who created that profit more (through bonuses), provide job security (because I don't have to lay people off), recruit more people (I believe businesses have a moral obligation to employ as many people as possible providing profitability is maintained) and contribute to local charities.

If that all sounds wishy washy, I can assure you that I'm not in any way. I just have a profound belief that the people who run businesses can contribute massively to society through managing in a humane and respectful way. I have taken tough decisions in the past and would do so again, but if I can avoid it everyone's a winner. The job of management is to manage - it's not rocket science, though I do sometimes think that it's over-complicated by some managers and commentators.

It does need to be mutual, however. Staff need to play their part every bit as much as managers. We put a huge amount of effort into our recruitment processes, which are challenging, but fun (for the right people). As a consequence, voluntary staff turnover last year (2012) was well under 1%, which contributes to a more knowledgeable work force, a strong culture and less cost having to fix mistakes.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Haven't had a pay rise for five years. Salary still below £17,500 - with occasional reminders of being threatened with disciplinary action if caught doing outside freelance work.

That's what you from working for the biggest tightwads in Lewes.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Some examples of unusual things that we've instigated over the last few years:

A member of staff has a full Board seat. They are elected for a one year term by the staff. Managers have no vote.

Each year, we invite Unions in to pitch for members. in 2013, no staff member (to my knowledge) joined, though it wouldn't bother me if they did.

We have an annual promotion cycle (April). The first and second level managers are elected by the staff below them in the hierarchy. I determine how many managerial jobs are vacant each year and retain a veto, though I haven't used the veto in 4 years.

A list of everyone's salary is pinned to the notice board. Obviously, we insert a clause into people's contracts allowing us to do it. The huge benefit is that it MAKES managers be absolutely sure that they can justify the salary awards they make, which they should be doing anyway, but in a secret situation many managers do not.

If a staff member who has been employed for a minimum of 7 years leaves and starts their own business, we will give them a £50k start-up equity injection in return for a flat 5% stake in their new venture. 7 years' service is all that is required, we figure that if they stayed with us for 7 years they must be pretty good folk, otherwise they'd have left or we would have asked them to.

Every 5 years, we give every staff member a 3 month paid sabbatical.

There are many more things, but this is just a sample.

On the flip side, here are some of the demands I make:

At work, you will devote 100% of your attention and effort to making the business succeed.

If we need to get hold of you outside normal hours, you must be available within 4 hours for a telephone call. We give every consultant a mobile phone to facilitate this, and we rarely use the requirement, but if an emergency comes up and you're the only person who has the required knowledge, our commitment to our customer means we have to get them an answer within 6 hours.

No politics (small p) are ever tolerated.

If you lie to any staff member about any work-related matter and we catch you, you're fired. No second chances.

If you breach internal (e.g. the staff member who sits on the Board talks about what is discussed) or client confidentiality and we catch you, you're fired. No second chances.

As I say, an unusual culture, but one that I always wanted to work in through my 20's and 30's and never found. It's not for everyone, but those who like it, thrive.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
When I started in my first job in 1981 (Bain Dawes in H/H if you're interested) we got a frozen turkey about 3 days before xmas. Seem to remember they were big birds, about 18/19lbs. We also got a choice of either a bottle of gin or whisky. We then had a xmas party in the social club at the office. Had to pay for drinks albeit at rock bottom club prices. Very happy days.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Haven't had a pay rise for five years. Salary still below £17,500 - with occasional reminders of being threatened with disciplinary action if caught doing outside freelance work.

That's what you from working for the biggest tightwads in Lewes.

I tell a lie - its seems we're having a 'party' on Friday. We get a £4.50 drinks voucher each.

Nice of them to let us know.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
BT once gave two bottles of wine at Christmas (around 1990 I guess).
There were a few people who refused them for religeous reasons or somesuch and no-one knew where theirs' went, we assumed the managers had had a really happy Christmas. A few months later a couple of us were working in a store room in Withdean Exchange and we found them stuck behind some equipment - a dozen bottles of piat d'or which we liberated, took to our yard and shared them out in an impromptu tasting session.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This is precisely why I do it. Both reasons you cite are important. I want to create a workplace where management and staff respect the other, which, if successful, leads, imo, to a more productive, and therefore, more profitable business. A more profitable business allows me to reward the staff who created that profit more (through bonuses), provide job security (because I don't have to lay people off), recruit more people (I believe businesses have a moral obligation to employ as many people as possible providing profitability is maintained) and contribute to local charities.

If that all sounds wishy washy, I can assure you that I'm not in any way. I just have a profound belief that the people who run businesses can contribute massively to society through managing in a humane and respectful way. I have taken tough decisions in the past and would do so again, but if I can avoid it everyone's a winner. The job of management is to manage - it's not rocket science, though I do sometimes think that it's over-complicated by some managers and commentators.

It does need to be mutual, however. Staff need to play their part every bit as much as managers. We put a huge amount of effort into our recruitment processes, which are challenging, but fun (for the right people). As a consequence, voluntary staff turnover last year (2012) was well under 1%, which contributes to a more knowledgeable work force, a strong culture and less cost having to fix mistakes.

Precisely why I think your management/recruitment model works. The results are evident.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here