Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you feel a connection to the sea?

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I have lived in Brighton for over forty years apart from a stint in Seattle and London. When I am away from the coast it always feels kinda strange not to have an edge to the landscape, if you catch my drift.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Yep. So much so that I'm planning a morning dip for tomorrow. Very strong draw to the sea in my Merman brain.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Living next to the sea, it's very easy to take it for granted, though I try not to.

It's a fine thing of a summer's evening to jump off the train from work and head straight to the seafront, drink a cold beer and take in the noise and hubbub of relaxing people, possibly unwinding and doing the same thing. Looking over the West Pier skeleton, and watching the sky colours dramatically change while the sun slowly sets - wonderful, with 'Summer Breeze' playing in my head.

There is a majesty and serenity of a flat sea during an early-morning sunrise; plus there is the excitement of the wild crashing of the waves on a chilly day which should never be under-estimated. For something so reliable at the tides of the sea, it is never boring staring out to the horizon.

Yeah, I like it here.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
The wife and friends and I tried to save three drowning men in the space of 10 days in June. 2 died one Ok.

Still love it here on the beach but my respect for the sea is far greater.
There's no better sound to lull you to sleep at night than the swish and whoosh of the waves.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I love the sea, what's on it and under it and I would love to have a boat but I'm cursed with terrible sea sickness, so much so that I get ill even on a flat calm sea. Put paid to scuba diving as a hobby :(
Wherever I go, I'm always drawn to the sea and love a walk along the seafront whether it's a balmy flat calm sea or a raging storm, the sea always fascinates me.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
There is a link between the amount of light we get and our mood which is one of the causes of Seasonal affective disorder.

Living by the sea gives access to alot of sky, therefore more light, better feeling.

Flex Your Head

I like that when I'm near the sea, I always know which direction is which. Up here in land-locked SE London, I generally haven't got a clue which direction I'm facing. It's not a problem most of the time, but we're trying to buy a new place at the moment and not knowing where the sun rises and sets and whether you'll get any sun in the garden is a pain.

I also like it that they'll never be able to build on the sea. Well, not in a big way.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Without a shadow of doubt. I was born at the Zachary Merton Hospital in Rustington, so if I'd been born any further south, it would have practically been in the sea. I went to university in Buckingham, and came to love the Chilterns. However, the one thing that would put me off living up there is the distance from the sea. I got to know the gardener there, and he said the only times he got to the sea were when he took his family to see his mother in Bournemouth, which was a 3 hour drive away. A few years back, I went up to a charity meeting in Bedfordshire, which has to be one of Britain's least interesting counties. I then went to a friend's barbecue in Newhaven the same afternoon. Getting off the train at Newhaven Town, you could smell the sea and hear the seagulls and I thought, "phew, I'm home". Also my Dad's father was a merchant navy captain.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
There is a link between the amount of light we get and our mood which is one of the causes of Seasonal affective disorder.

Living by the sea gives access to alot of sky, therefore more light, better feeling.

Isn't that only really the case if the coast is facing the equator ???

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Seaside Air

There are two types of people in the world, seasiders and inlanders

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
we lived in Wales not that far from the sea and once in a while in the Summer we would get the scent of the seaweed in the estuary but it most definitely is not the same and even living now in Eastbourne very near the sea (and lovely it is) there is nothing like going to see the family and driving over the brow at the top of Snakey lane and seeing the glint of the channel.
in fact the whole drive from Eastbourne to Brighton is fantastic all of the countryside on the way passing the Amex.

you don't know what you have until you come home and realise there nothing better than GOSBTS

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Nope. Brighton born and bred and the sea means absolutely nothing to me.

Don't know why. The town I love, but the fact that it is by the sea all seems incidental compared to what goes on away from the beach. Pier and pebble are for the mockneys. Give me the town and the Sussex countryside any day.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Grew up in Brighton & now live on the coast in Saltdean - I couldnt imagine not seeing the sea everyday.... I love it. During the summer we are down there every day after work with the boards, going for walks, bike rides, bbqs etc. I sit on the balcony watching the sun going down & the colour of the sky & sea is just beautiful sometimes; I'll never get tired of it. During the autumn & winter we love watching the power of the sea from our lounge as it crashes on the shore. The kids love the sea too & my 9 year old is now almost a qualified scuba diver, and my 6 year old loves surfing.....If we ever moved it would HAVE to be near the ocean!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Love living by the sea. Sadly for family reasons we may have to move to Horsham. Nothing against the town but not having the sea is a real worry for me. However, the missus could not care less about the sea and will be delighted not to hear seagulls. She keeps telling me that Horsham has a nice park, which it does, but that is no compensation.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Lived by the sea my whole life except for a time living in a landlocked part of Germany. I was eternally looking for the gap where the sea ought to be, but there were just more buildings, more trees. As others say, it's that feeling that out there is the rest of the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here