Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you chuck your rubbish out of the car window whilst driving along?

Do you throw your rubbish out of the car as you drive along?

• Yes, yes I do

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • No I don't but other people in my car do

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • No I fecking don't.. ever

Votes: 150 94.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Fag ends chucked out of car windows is the commonest but none of them stop to think that they might just be starting a fire that destroys acres of wildlife and costs thousands to put out.
Smokers seem to make up their own rules. Once the packet is bought from a shop it is obligatory to tear off the plastic outer and throw that on the ground, shortly followed by the ribbon and foil. The best place to empty a car ash-tray is whilst waiting at traffic lights. Just tip the complete contents out whilst standing still when there is no chance of ' blow back '
Slip roads off motorways are the new refuse dumps. An endless stream of human detritus littering the roadside. Cans, packets, bottles, boxes of every size, shape and description. Appalling, just truly appalling.
Where I live I find takeaway food discarded just yards or even feet from waste bins. No wonder we are overrun with urban foxes. They don't even have to work for their food.
You drive through rural and semi-rural locations and the hedgerows are an endless stream of discarded plastic and tin. It is just so depressing. This complete and utter lack of respect. This attitude that it is someone else's job to pick it up.
Would these people do this in their own homes? Just chuck litter on the floor. Chuck lighted fag-ends on their own carpet.
No, they wouldn't. So why is it different outside and out of a car window? Because it is not their responsibility. In less than two seconds they have absolved themselves of the responsibility of keeping their rubbish and disposing of it safely. Too much effort involved. Thats why its easier to drop stuff on the ground rather than walk a few yards to a waste bin.
When my kids were young I went out of my way to make sure that they always saw me disposing of rubbish in the correct way and even picking up odd items of litter that we came across and then disposing of it. Education. Thats all. Sadly, a lot of parents don't even bother. Litter doesn't seem to bother to them. Its someone else's job!
It doesn't seem to matter to these people if the roadsides, pavements, hedgerows, parks and countryside of this beautiful country are a shithole. They seem to have no respect for their surroundings.
What can we do. Well, at every opportunity, embarrass these people. If you see litter being dropped, let that person know how disgusting it is. If you see parents doing it, embarrass them in front of their children. Then the kids will at least stop and think about it. Don't not bother. ITS WORTH THE EFFORT.
Even if you feel uncomfortable with confrontation make the effort to point out their wrong-doing. You are doing your bit for your country. Litter is getting worse and worse and we have to try and change this ugly mentality.
If you want to walk, cycle or drive through our lovely countryside and enjoy it for its natural beauty and not for an endless stream of plastic and tin and fag-ends, do your bit. Put rubbish in the right place. Pick up bits of rubbish discarded by others and bin it. Be seen doing it. Make a point of it. Loudly. Bombard your local council to introduce fines for dropping litter ( if they don't already do so ) Every tiny bit of effort is worth it.
If you love and respect this country, this is a battle we must win.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
Can I add chewing gum to this thread. I think we should take a leaf out of Singapore's book and ban the disgusting stuff completely. If not, then the people that think it's okay to spit it out on the floor should be made to scrape up and then chew every piece in a ft radius of them.

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
Sometimes i throw An apple core or a bannana skin out the window but i aim for a bush or aim for the trees is this acceptable or should i be tortured to death

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Fag ends chucked out of car windows is the commonest but none of them stop to think that they might just be starting a fire that destroys acres of wildlife and costs thousands to put out.
Smokers seem to make up their own rules. Once the packet is bought from a shop it is obligatory to tear off the plastic outer and throw that on the ground, shortly followed by the ribbon and foil. The best place to empty a car ash-tray is whilst waiting at traffic lights. Just tip the complete contents out whilst standing still when there is no chance of ' blow back '
Slip roads off motorways are the new refuse dumps. An endless stream of human detritus littering the roadside. Cans, packets, bottles, boxes of every size, shape and description. Appalling, just truly appalling.
Where I live I find takeaway food discarded just yards or even feet from waste bins. No wonder we are overrun with urban foxes. They don't even have to work for their food.
You drive through rural and semi-rural locations and the hedgerows are an endless stream of discarded plastic and tin. It is just so depressing. This complete and utter lack of respect. This attitude that it is someone else's job to pick it up.
Would these people do this in their own homes? Just chuck litter on the floor. Chuck lighted fag-ends on their own carpet.
No, they wouldn't. So why is it different outside and out of a car window? Because it is not their responsibility. In less than two seconds they have absolved themselves of the responsibility of keeping their rubbish and disposing of it safely. Too much effort involved. Thats why its easier to drop stuff on the ground rather than walk a few yards to a waste bin.
When my kids were young I went out of my way to make sure that they always saw me disposing of rubbish in the correct way and even picking up odd items of litter that we came across and then disposing of it. Education. Thats all. Sadly, a lot of parents don't even bother. Litter doesn't seem to bother to them. Its someone else's job!
It doesn't seem to matter to these people if the roadsides, pavements, hedgerows, parks and countryside of this beautiful country are a shithole. They seem to have no respect for their surroundings.
What can we do. Well, at every opportunity, embarrass these people. If you see litter being dropped, let that person know how disgusting it is. If you see parents doing it, embarrass them in front of their children. Then the kids will at least stop and think about it. Don't not bother. ITS WORTH THE EFFORT.
Even if you feel uncomfortable with confrontation make the effort to point out their wrong-doing. You are doing your bit for your country. Litter is getting worse and worse and we have to try and change this ugly mentality.
If you want to walk, cycle or drive through our lovely countryside and enjoy it for its natural beauty and not for an endless stream of plastic and tin and fag-ends, do your bit. Put rubbish in the right place. Pick up bits of rubbish discarded by others and bin it. Be seen doing it. Make a point of it. Loudly. Bombard your local council to introduce fines for dropping litter ( if they don't already do so ) Every tiny bit of effort is worth it.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Sorry folks...double post.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sometimes i throw An apple core or a bannana skin out the window but i aim for a bush or aim for the trees is this acceptable or should i be tortured to death

This. Just apple cores into acceptable grassland areas.

Seen people at McDonalds drivethru literally open their car door and let it all just spill out onto the road, when the bin is roughly FOUR steps away. Unbelievable.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
No I don't ever. I don't drive My car often but when I do I take a plastic bag with Me to empty the rubbish the Wife and kids have left inside job done.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If I see someone parked up on madeira drive or nearby and see them open the card door slyly and drop a carrier bag of crap out, if I can get to them in time I have picked it up and tossed it back in their car, trying as much as I can to get the stuff to fall out of the bag as I do so. Have managed it a few times and I imagine they are suitably embarrassed as never had any trouble doing it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It makes me mad is what it does

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I eat an apple on the way to work and luzz the core out on Balcome road sometimes, personally I think that's just about acceptable as it's no different to an apple falling off the tree in nature. I tend not to if someone is close behind just in case they're the sort of busybody wanker to misunderstand and cause a fuss, can't be dealing with that first thing in the morning.

Wouldn't chuck anything else out though, it's just lazy and selfish.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Litter is one of my great pet hates. When I get home my pockets are usually full of receipts, wrappers etc. as I always pocket my rubbish and bin it at home.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
If you asked the question, 'Do you try and stuff it in to one of Brighton's already overflowing bins, or simply leave it next to the bin because you can't be bothered to take it home' - I suspect if people were honest, the 'yes' vote would be significantly higher.... The net effect of both is pretty much the same though, both really annoying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here