Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Do you charge your kids rent ?

phoenix

May 18, 2009
1976 - £7.50 from £18.50 take home :thumbsup:

And from what was left, I would get into town Thursday to Sunday :wink:
1975 £6 from £18 what was funny my 2 siblings had to pay up as well whinging like mad tight earning a lot more than me buggers!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's not easy for any of us, but we give it our best shot and hope it works out :wink:
Aye.

And I'm looking at the prospect of becoming a G****d** in November. FFS.

I am praying the boy doesn't decide to name him Ben :facepalm:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Whatever the norm was 20, 30 or 50 years ago should no longer apply.

Economic policy of the last few decades has seen unprecedented impoverishment of the young, to further enrich the old.

Mine are too young, but I won't even consider charging them rent, when they leave school. They can cook the odd meal and drive me home when i'm pissed instead

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My first full time wage was £16 and my mum took 3 or 4 I think
When I got a rise to £20 she took 6

Lots of clashes over that

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Surely anyone residing in a family home that is of working age should contribute to the running of the home?
Not for us, didn’t need it and would rather they saved their money. There’s no ‘rule’, everyone’s circumstances will be different - when I started work my parents were brassic so I was happy to contribute

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whatever the norm was 20, 30 or 50 years ago should no longer apply.

Economic policy of the last few decades has seen unprecedented impoverishment of the young, to further enrich the old.

Mine are too young, but I won't even consider charging them rent, when they leave school. They can cook the odd meal and drive me home when i'm pissed instead
You have reminded me that I tail ended some geriatric bint a few years ago leaving Fav on the way to Heathrow. Geriatric bint slammed on for no reason. She told me, as we exchanged pleasantries and details, that coincidentally exactly the same thing had happened 6 weeks previously :facepalm:

But I digress. A quick call on the phone (It was a Saturday) and my boy rocked up in his car and drove me to the airport. I may have paid for his car and at that point, not that it had been the point, I reaped the benefit of an unintended investment. Bingo.

The moral of the story? If you can, you probably should. It doesn't get to smell any better if you just leave it in the bank.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Charging working kids living at home housekeep then giving it back to them....

Only on a Brighton and Hove Albion football forum :ROFLMAO:

Nice little gap year for all your middle class darlings too no doubt.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Not for us, didn’t need it and would rather they saved their money. There’s no ‘rule’, everyone’s circumstances will be different - when I started work my parents were brassic so I was happy to contribute
Yep circumstances do govern decisions but surely the starting premise is that residents contribute, if they can.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Evening, Citizen Smith.

Power to the people!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My first full time wage was £16 and my mum took 3 or 4 I think
When I got a rise to £20 she took 6

Lots of clashes over that
Rent, Electric, gas, rates, food, laundry, far be it from me to suggest you may have been on dodgy ground :wink:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep circumstances do govern decisions but surely the starting premise is that residents contribute, if they can.
…………..possibly, but personally couldn’t see the point of taking money off the kids when we’re still funding their education, they’re on relatively shit wages (one NHS and one in pro football) and at the end of day they’ll get what we’ve got anyway. Would rather they had the benefit now than waiting until we’re dead - giving it away to them is better than them paying inheritance tax.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I never saw a penny of my 'housekeeping' because it went on 'housekeeping', and having left school at 15, never had a 'gap' year.

Enough to keep you happy :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I started paying £25 a week in 1986, when every one of mates paid just £7. My Dad resented the high food intake and essentially was trying to not-so-subtly ease us out. Quite old school harsh about stuff, he kind of regrets it now.

I’ve only charged one of our offspring so far, the eldest who started full time employment. I calculated this at roughly one quarter of the grocery bill only. But he gets free energy, broadband, water, a laundry service, cooked evening dinners.

I intend to secretly invest the ‘keep’ for him, but haven’t got organised on that yet.

I wasn’t bothered about them doing school jobs, as long as they studied to an extent. We’ve friends who vehemently argue in black and white terms that having jobs as kids is the making of an adult. Totally disagree, there’s no such link, I know many adults who didn’t do that who‘ve worked incredibly hard in the vocation.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
…………..possibly, but personally couldn’t see the point of taking money off the kids when we’re still funding their education, they’re on relatively shit wages (one NHS and one in pro football) and at the end of day they’ll get what we’ve got anyway. Would rather they had the benefit now than waiting until we’re dead - giving it away to them is better than them paying inheritance tax.
And this is where we will respectfully disagree. I believe that if they are adults with all the benefits that brings :wink: then they should take on the responsibility of being adults. Now what that is, in financial terms and at what age, is up to you and them to agree.

Of course they get it all in the end :wink:

Last edited:

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Something I read on another thread sent me off thinking about this.

When my kids turned 16 and went to sixth form college, they both had to get Saturday Jobs and ended up working at Primark. The money they earnt was theirs and obviously they could spend it on whatever they wanted despite any tutting from us. However about 10-20% was taken off them as 'housekeeping' (I think it was 40% when I was 16 but whatever :shrug:).

My son went to Uni and my daughter decided she didn't want to. My son's Primark job supported his living expenses throughout Uni (together with a few Summer jobs) so his only debt was the course fees. I had an agreement with my daughter that she had to work 25 hrs a week and pay 'housekeeping' if her boyfriend wanted to come over. (25 hrs at Primark focused her mind and she got a proper job :wink:)

All the housekeeping they paid us was put away with various financial Birthday and Xmas presents, child allowance and other bits and my son used it to pay off a major part of his Uni fees while my daughter used hers to spend 12 months in Oz.

However, back to the question, Do you charge your kids rent and if you do, from what age and how much ?

*edit* My kids are 28/26 so we are talking 10 years agoish
Whilst I don't make mine pay housekeeping (she's 3) Your post reminds me of my parents.

Aged 16 I got a YTS scheme job that paid £40 a week. Living at home my mum took £10 a week for housekeeping which at the time I thought was harsh. Roll on 10 years and buying my 1st house she gave me the deposit for it which she had invested wisely.

So yes I would and will charge mine rent and board if at home and earning. It would no doubt help them in the future even if they do not see it now

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I started paying £25 a week in 1986, when every one of mates paid just £7. My Dad resented the high food intake and essentially was trying to not-so-subtly ease us out. Quite old school harsh about stuff, he kind of regrets it now.

I’ve only charged one of our offspring so far, the eldest who started full time employment. I calculated this at roughly one quarter of the grocery bill only. But he gets free energy, broadband, water, a laundry service, cooked evening dinners.

I intend to secretly invest the ‘keep’ for him, but haven’t got organised on that yet.

I wasn’t bothered about them doing school jobs, as long as they studied to an extent. We’ve friends who vehemently argue in black and white terms that having jobs as kids is the making of an adult. Totally disagree, there’s no such link, I know many adults who didn’t do that who‘ve worked incredibly hard in the vocation.
Having employed hundreds of graduates over the years, all other things being equal, I've always employed the one who has laboured on building sites, stacked shelves, been an attendant at an all night garage and done one of the many shit jobs a lot of students do to get them through.

I've found they seem to appreciate far more when they've got a really good job :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here