Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you believe "VAR is biased shit"?

Do you believe VAR is biased (shit)?

• Yes

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 87 73.1%

• Total voters

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Just to present the opposite argument, if VAR is chalking off more goals than it is giving (i.e. penalties) then a club that wins more games by more than one goal has an advantage. To put it another way, a disallowed VAR goal for the Albion will almost certainly mean we don’t win that game, not so Liverpool or Man City. So my conclusion is VAR is biased towards the bigger clubs because it will effect their final points tally less.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Just to present the opposite argument, if VAR is chalking off more goals than it is giving (i.e. penalties) then a club that wins more games by more than one goal has an advantage. To put it another way, a disallowed VAR goal for the Albion will almost certainly mean we don’t win that game, not so Liverpool or Man City. So my conclusion is VAR is biased towards the bigger clubs because it will effect their final points tally less.

That is a good point, well made.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

That's an interesting point.
But it isn't really a view that VAR itself is biased, more that the way it is being implemented is less advantageous to teams that score less.

So it may well increase the gap between the top 2 and the other 4 "big teams"

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
VAR is not biased, just a massive mistake.

Would you prefer to watch a sporting spectacle served with passion, history, emotion, errors, talking points , etc etc, or perhaps get the news from a media report? An experience or a fact sheet?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Just read, from an Albion fan sometimes of this parish, that VAR being "biased shit" is one of the reasons we are not better placed in the league.

This view surprised me. Presumably underpinning this comment is a view that VAR helps the big clubs and not the little clubs, although I'm struggling to think of a result-impacting VAR decision we've had against one of the big clubs we've played to date.

Is this a commonly-held view? Do you believe that VAR is "biased shit"?

I don't think it's biased but I do think it's mostly unnecessary (at least from the point of view of fans, maybe less so owners and other external interests such as betting sites).

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
VAR , decisions are still ultimately decided by humans , humans can be biased towards certain things so one could argue for a yes disposition .

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Not at all, how can anyone say it's bias when the top 6 are being screwed over just as much?

It is used horribly though, the fact that they can decide things like that high foot on Tielemans was a yellow but the Andone was a red (both clear reds) doesn't mean its bias, it just highlights how awful it is in its current state.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think the Real Madrid offside that was not given by VAR but Man City sterling being given offside by the length of his foreskin shows that VAR is a ridiculous concept.

It all started with Hawkeye and then third umpire and has morphed to this. Next thing will be that the Lino’s will be removed leaving a ref, a headphone and a bunch of faceless wankers in some television box somewhere running the game and sucking the enjoyment and lifeblood out of the game just to catch someone offside by their fingernail.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Agree with most sentiments that it's not biased, but it sucks the excitement out of a goal being scored like a vampire draining a fat bloke.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
VAR as in the technology isn't biased. The humans implementing it in line with the referees may be. However I think it's hard to argue that's affected us so far.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
In the champions league it is as proved by Real Madrid's first goal, which would almost certainly have been offside in the PL

Absolutely. How was that not given off side. Instantly made me think that it is corrupt

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its not something I’d thought about and it’s too early to say. but as there’s a human element to VAR over time we might see a bias emerge.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I think the Real Madrid offside that was not given by VAR but Man City sterling being given offside by the length of his foreskin shows that VAR is a ridiculous concept.

It all started with Hawkeye and then third umpire and has morphed to this. Next thing will be that the Lino’s will be removed leaving a ref, a headphone and a bunch of faceless wankers in some television box somewhere running the game and sucking the enjoyment and lifeblood out of the game just to catch someone offside by their fingernail.

Toenail maybe, fingernail no.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Biased no inconsistent yes

One of the many flaws in the system is the same people who make inconsistent decisions on the pitch are now making the same ones off it

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I hate VAR, but would you think differently if both our decisions had gone in our favour? Asking for a friend.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Referees (some, if not all) have been biased in favour of the big cubs - unintentionally, subconsciously maybe, but nevertheless decisions do seem to frequently favour the big clubs. Same as some refereeing performances are definitely 'homers'.
These same referees are now sitting behind TV screens and making the decisions - s is it surprising that leopards don't change their spots? It's not down to VAR (shit though it is).

Have to agree, the same morons making moronic decisions on the pitch are the same ones sitting behind a screen making moronic decisions. I'm not referring to the offside decisions as they either off or on. It's the ones where it is subjective. Two examples, Walker not being sent off in the semi final may have affected the outcome of that game. The second was Arsenal v Villa when there was a handball in the box and Jon Moss didn't even review it. VAR should have been screaming in his ear that he needed to check it. He may still have come to the same (wrong) decision but the arrogance to ignore it beggars belief. I'm not sure but I might be right in thinking that in the first 6 rounds of games, there hasn't been one pitch side review. It stinks of the PGMOL dictating the application of the whole process.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
VAR is biased but not against any particular team just anyone who enjoys football.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here