Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you believe in man made climate change?

Do you believe in climate change?

• Yes I think it more than likely exists now

Votes: 143 78.1%
  • No, its a global conspiracy

Votes: 40 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
very well qualified, i only offer that sometimes they might be incorrect. or in a decade or generations time, the concensus might be different. the environmental science already has a track record of adjusting their claims to suit the current wind.

and what of the Himalayan glaciers that are growing and the Antarctic? what of the temperature rises that havent occured in the past decade as predicted. prehaps we've done enough? but that CO2 graph is linear so how does that square?

The Himalayas are still rising after their impact with the Indian plate zillions of years ago. If they are getting higher, then they are also getting colder, and their glaciers will increase.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Save George Carlin

too late

shit happens

we've f***ed it up and we will be extinct before we get anywhere close to solving the shit we've caused. Not just to the environment ........... we've just got out of control as a species ............. and it's only going to get worse (hopefully slowly)

In the interim enjoy your lives, have kids ...... they'll probably have a chance to enjoy their lives .............. actually I reckon, at a a push, we've got a few thousand years left ....... but ultimately we're f***ed. Nothing will make a difference ......... we're f***ed ................ it's in our nature

BSc Ecology, MSc Biotechnology, not a dumb ass hippy or a Daily Express reader ............ an informed realist.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
You believe in fate then? I don't personally.

It's not fate. This awful weather is not new. It happens every once in a while. The Brighton-Shoreham coastline lost about 250 acres to the sea during winds and storms between 1290-1340. We should have lost even more in the 150 or so years since we concreted over the cliffs to build the promenade, but that water, which should have eroded our cliffs, was forced to go somewhere else instead, like up a river or three. There are too many people on the planet, and yes, the people are interfering with the planet, but their interference is insignificant compared to the power of the planet and the solar system. We used to cull ourselves, warring with our neighbours over the past few millennia, so nature is thinking up new ways to do the job for us.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
It's not fate. This awful weather is not new. It happens every once in a while. The Brighton-Shoreham coastline lost about 250 acres to the sea during winds and storms between 1290-1340. We should have lost even more in the 150 or so years since we concreted over the cliffs to build the promenade, but that water, which should have eroded our cliffs, was forced to go somewhere else instead, like up a river or three. There are too many people on the planet, and yes, the people are interfering with the planet, but their interference is insignificant compared to the power of the planet and the solar system. We used to cull ourselves, warring with our neighbours over the past few millennia, so nature is thinking up new ways to do the job for us.

So your saying we cut Scotland off and sink it?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It is undeniable and will get worse I think.
I think that the process would have always happened but at a slower rate, if nature was left to itself.
But man always wants things sooner, it is a runaway process now and may never be able to be slowed down.
Or is it all a myth, like the clown Tony Abbott who runs this country believes.
The man is a halfwit and a prefect example of a case where, if you hang around long enough, you will eventually get the job.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
"Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities, and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position."
http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

These are scientists, not politicians, and 97% is a massive consensus when it comes to science. Of course it's anthropogenic. So many other theories that people are happy to accept as fact have less scientific consensus than ACC.

And 99% of the worlds leading scientists once believed that the Earth was flat.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
And 99% of the worlds leading scientists once believed that the Earth was flat.

No, they didn't. There weren't scientists until the rise of science in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. This happened largely through the rise of the inductive method, and the communication of experiments through scientific journals. You might recognise that the rise of science postdated key discoveries about the co-ordinates of the earth, and its place in the cosmos.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Incurring some sacrifices means changing our behaviour to a more sustainable lifestyle, preferably via tax incentives.
If you think that'll make a difference to the climate, you're mad (IMO of course).
As more and more people get effected by climate change global opinion will change both in the west and the developing world

While we have all this rain Australia has a severe drought, they will soon be reliant on imported food..
There's always some extreme weather somewhere, there always has been. Putting it all down to modern climate change is lazy and misguided. Take a look at the history of our planet, we're in an ice age that won't last forever. The earth will heat up and sea levels will rise with or without us on it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If you think that'll make a difference to the climate, you're mad (IMO of course).
There's always some extreme weather somewhere, there always has been. Putting it all down to modern climate change is lazy and misguided. Take a look at the history of our planet, we're in an ice age that won't last forever. The earth will heat up and sea levels will rise with or without us on it.

I'd rather have this "lazy and misguided" view than one of denial and apathy. Amazing how some people take no responsibility at all and just think whatever will do will make no difference...

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
not only is there no doubt climate change exists there is also no scientific doubt that
carbon emissions retain heat.
So if there is a debate it is not whether there is man made heating of the planet
but whether this represents a significant heating effect baring in mind there are other
non man made fluctuations of the climate over the eons.
There is no doubt there is a strong concensus amongst scientists that man made heating is
significant .Generally there is little scientific concensus on imminent doom.As an example
mad cow disease scientists agreed there was only a very low statistical chance of catching a truly
awful lethal disease and minister gummer I think it was duly ate his burger to camera.
The only thing I am sceptical of is the ability to actually model the climate and make long range predictions.
I am certainly not expert enough to argue against the scientific concensus that man made heating is significant.
I am very skeptical of conspiracy theories in general .
People donot need to conspire to act in their own interests.
Most conspiracy theories aimed at the rich and powerful are simply the rich and powerful
fighting ( red in tooth and claw if necessary) to defend their privileges.

Prudence is a virtue.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
These are the worst storms in 250 years. But not in 251 years.

My point is, there have been far far far worse weather in this country than this. For some reason we have come to belive that Britian has some kind of mild climate. Never has never will.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
The global temperature has risen since the industrial revolution, correlated to the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere. There is also proof that this extra CO2 has come from man-made sources. Don't know what there is to not agree on to be honest :shrug:

Becuase nobody looked at temperature 250 years before that. Weather has a cycle.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
How do you know it has a cycle then?

Because I use 365 days as a rough guide. This isn't meant to sound as condescending as it undoubtedly will. There is winter at the beginning, then spring like weather, then the summer, then autumn, then the 2nd winter. Sometimes there is a bad/good/normal winter/spring/summer/autumn.

As someone has already said, 'about' every 10 years or so, you get a milder winter/spring/summer/autumn.

For example, I remember in my early 20's never getting snow in the winter. Maybe one or two days. For 'about' the last 6 years or so winters have been covered in it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd rather have this "lazy and misguided" view than one of denial and apathy. Amazing how some people take no responsibility at all and just think whatever will do will make no difference...
I don't think that there's nothing that can be done, but I think a) we're doing the wrong things and b) tiny little Britain going about her own little plan is completely pointless, while the rest of the world go through energy like it's air. I believe that if we want to do something, it has to include countries with billions of people. If they're not going to play ball, we're wasting our time over here.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
So how can you then say we don't know what the weather was like 250 years ago (your method would be crap for that but there are ways)?

In some cases we do know what the weather was like 250 years ago and more. 17th and 18th century diarists, for example, wrote of weather just as bad as we have experienced. Medieval documents in the PRO and other places tell of awful weather. Deposits on the planet tell us how the planet became to be as it is as a result of the weather. Right now, the Brighton promenade is covered in shingle. It has become the beach. When the King Alfred's foundations were dug out, some 30 feet of shingle had to be removed. Ancient Brighton lies under 30 feet of shingle next to the Palace Pier and we know from 18th century writers, that ancient Brighton finally disppeared under that shingle in 1703. Prior to that, other storms had covered other parts of ancient Brighton in shingle. And yet, the sea has constantly beaten and battered our cliffs (they're still there, under the promenade) as the sea claims the land. So on one hand, the sea claims the land in one set of storms, and covers it up with shingle in another, and then the shingle is covered in soil, and we call it land. Our own shoreline has been moving backwards and forwards for thousands of years, as a result of storms and the longshore drift. In other words, the cycles of weather are known from deposits and movements of soil and sand. These present storms and weather patterns are not new. They have happened before. Many times. In cycles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here