Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do We Respect The FA Cup Or Bang On Forevermore About 1983?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
We didn't really disrespect it - that team should have been good enough to win easily - they under performed (especially in defence) and Lincoln deserved to go through. That's what used to be called the magic of the FA cup.

This - the fact of defeat is being translated into a lack of respect (and even trying, FFS!). Stop for minute and think why we lost: Murray's Moment of Madness cost us two goals - the equalizer and fact that 37 year old GK coach had to come on and made a howler for the third - and a newbie who had to be tried ahead of a real game on Thursday had a stick or twist moment that will be the jest of the dressing room. Period. That's it. None of this bollox about lack of respect, Lincoln did this we didnt do the other etc etc. We had control of the game at HT, slightly unlucky to be only 1-0 ahead, then two mad moments. End of. Move on.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
This - the fact of defeat is being translated into a lack of respect (and even trying, FFS!). Stop for minute and think why we lost: Murray's Moment of Madness cost us two goals - the equalizer and fact that 37 year old GK coach had to come on and made a howler for the third - and a newbie who had to be tried ahead of a real game on Thursday had a stick or twist moment that will be the jest of the dressing room. Period. That's it. None of this bollox about lack of respect, Lincoln did this we didnt do the other etc etc. We had control of the game at HT, slightly unlucky to be only 1-0 ahead, then two mad moments. End of. Move on.

:clap2::clap2:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think we should be playing in thick woollen socks, with big leather boots, rubbed with dubbin, and running about non stop for 90 minutes. Anything sort of this is a sellout and an insult to the hardworking men and women of Sussex.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sorry but I think we're flogging a dead horse trying to recreate what the FA Cup was like. When I was little, everyone watched the Cup Final, I knew who had won it in which year, used to love seeing the cheesy songs on TOTP, the build up was often front page news and it was the biggest game of the season by a mile. That's all gone. Between the TV companies, the FA, EUFA and their Champion's League it's a pale shadow of what it once was and I reckon since the mid-90s I've watched maybe 3 or 4 cup finals, it just doesn't hook me like it used to and I reckon there's lots of people who feel similarly. When the people who manage the competition have devalued it to that extent and so easily done away with all the things that made it special to us fans, then this slow death is inevitable.

Sure, it's still big days out for lower league clubs but can you blame the bigger club managers for putting out second string sides when you consider the pressures they are under and the risk/return of the Cup?

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Sorry but I think we're flogging a dead horse trying to recreate what the FA Cup was like. When I was little, everyone watched the Cup Final, I knew who had won it in which year, used to love seeing the cheesy songs on TOTP, the build up was often front page news and it was the biggest game of the season by a mile. That's all gone. Between the TV companies, the FA, EUFA and their Champion's League it's a pale shadow of what it once was and I reckon since the mid-90s I've watched maybe 3 or 4 cup finals, it just doesn't hook me like it used to and I reckon there's lots of people who feel similarly. When the people who manage the competition have devalued it to that extent and so easily done away with all the things that made it special to us fans, then this slow death is inevitable.

Sure, it's still big days out for lower league clubs but can you blame the bigger club managers for putting out second string sides when you consider the pressures they are under and the risk/return of the Cup?

The days you are talking about were when there was just 1 live match a year, the FA cup final. You might not have noticed but those days are over.

Having said that I avoided the scores today and sat down to watch the highlights. Wow (apart from Wigan) what a day that was. Dirty dirty had a worse day than us, going by the highlights. I know we had a bad day yesterday but I am sure the vast majority of football fans from 91 other teams enjoyed watching our match. It appears that the FA cup has become a bit of a luxury unless you have a squad of 30 top internationals. I don't blame CH for yesterday, he put out a pretty decent team who unfortunately have never really played together before and our priorities are elsewhere but I really hope that sometime, when our league position is safe, we can go on a damn good cup run.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The days you are talking about were when there was just 1 live match a year, the FA cup final. You might not have noticed but those days are over..

Apologies if I didn't make it clear but I'm well aware of that and I did say that the TV companies had played a part in its demise. I do put most of the blame on the FA though and their stewardship of the competition.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We have chosen one competition to properly engage in because, understandably, someone is after a return on some of their 300+ million quid investment and we'll never have a better chance than over the next 3 months to achieve that. A few more league wins.

If that means fielding a massively weakened side in a 3rd round FA Cup tie so the proper players can focus on the league, then so be it. Yes, that side should have had enough to beat Lincoln but they wanted it more.

Yet Murray still played, which blows that theory :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here