Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we now have a fecking Entitled fanbase?

Do we now have an entitled fanbase

• Total voters

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I'm Potter in, but moaning at your team returning less than a point a game in a calendar year isn't being entitled.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Quite possibly yes. But there seems to be some massive over-reacting from some seasoned veterans as well.
I do think we are in serious trouble of become a bit entitled.

Not me, mate. My first game at the Goldstone was 51 years ago. Loving it, now. Never ever been better :thumbsup:

As a bit of a nut job myself.....stay positive but don't worry about fighting with those who disagree with you. We all have our reasons for our attitude, and some attitudes are rooted in a perspective one my find hard to comprehend. But that doesn't make it wrong. Or right :shrug:

I love your passion, by the way :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm Potter in, but moaning at your team returning less than a point a game in a calendar year isn't being entitled.

Indeed, no,

But demanding we 'get rid' and bring in Benitez is entitled.

:thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I may have misinterpreted the gist here But is the level of painful football experience s endured , exponentially related to time served As it were ?
Thus the newer arrivals Not having endured the tougher times War years etc Mean that this blip in their minds Is way more troubling than those older hands , would deem it to be
But justifiably worrying to them
It’s all relative to your individual perspective experience s I suppose
Yeh / Nay ?

Red herring.

I'm "lucky" enough to know who quite a few people on here are (not via stalking or whatever but from the old Mailing List days and from knowing people from games). Plus, of course, people post their old experiences on here and you know if they are bullshitting or not.

And the OP has made this a public poll.

Among those voting "no" we don't have an entitled fanbase are someone who was very involved in Fans United, someone who was on NSC at the start and posted loads of Goldstone memories, someone in my year at school (I'm 49) and someone I met at a REMF pool competition who I know is older than me.

I also see some old school names in "yes".

We have undoubtedly picked up some plastic Prem fans who use us as their second team but there aren't as many as people think. My experience of the Amex is that there are many old faces from the Goldstone days who have come back, and, of course, they now have kids in tow who are brand new to the team, but do not post on here. My 14 year old is a mad, avid Brighton fan and not a bit entitled but is showing his lack of entitlement on Instagram. He wouldn't be seen dead on NSC and is a bit worried about my obsession with it :lolol:

We have to face the fact that we have a split fanbase and, just like Brexit, there won't be an awful lot of movement between the camps without a sea change somewhere in our results, for better or worse.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Red herring.

I'm "lucky" enough to know who quite a few people on here are (not via stalking or whatever but from the old Mailing List days and from knowing people from games). Plus, of course, people post their old experiences on here and you know if they are bullshitting or not.

And the OP has made this a public poll.

Among those voting "no" we don't have an entitled fanbase are someone who was very involved in Fans United, someone who was on NSC at the start and posted loads of Goldstone memories, someone in my year at school (I'm 49) and someone I met at a REMF pool competition who I know is older than me.

I also see some old school names in "yes".

We have undoubtedly picked up some plastic Prem fans who use us as their second team but there aren't as many as people think. My experience of the Amex is that there are many old faces from the Goldstone days who have come back, and, of course, they now have kids in tow who are brand new to the team, but do not post on here. My 14 year old is a mad, avid Brighton fan and not a bit entitled but is showing his lack of entitlement on Instagram. He wouldn't be seen dead on NSC and is a bit worried about my obsession with it :lolol:

We have to face the fact that we have a split fanbase and, just like Brexit, there won't be an awful lot of movement between the camps without a sea change somewhere in our results, for better or worse.

Red Herring How so ? Please expand

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
An interesting or depressing stat as we do like to roll out stats since the arrival of Potter,

RB Leipzig have beaten more PL sides in 2020 than we have. Don’t know if I should laugh or cry :(

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I must admit that i didn't like the options offered in the poll.

I don't think that not being entitled means that we should therefore be doing better.

I am still in the Potter in camp and don't see those who disagree as entitled. It is perfectly reasonable to be unhappy with our results over the last year or so (I mean if we are honest is anyone actually happy?).

The difference of option is more about if we believe that the other, more positive, stats will lead to an upturn in our fortunes.

For me entitlement doesn't come into the discussion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I must admit that i didn't like the options offered in the poll.

I don't think that not being entitled means that we should therefore be doing better.

I am still in the Potter in camp and don't see those who disagree as entitled. It is perfectly reasonable to be unhappy with our results over the last year or so (I mean if we are honest is anyone actually happy?).

The difference of option is more about if we believe that the other, more positive, stats will lead to an upturn in our fortunes.

For me entitlement doesn't come into the discussion.

You are right, I should have given more options and posed the question differently. In my defence I posted shortly after the game and this place was in meltdown, as it had been since the team was announced, with plenty of comments about how “Arsenal were there for the taking” and how Potter’s team selection was a doesn’t care/clueless etc one. I guess I saw red, and was also very pissed of that we’d lost again.

Not being happy is a given I know and does not make anyone entitled because of it. I should have given a few more options but imo we do have quite a few entitled and vociferous fans these days though. It is nowhere near the whole fanbase though :shrug:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You are right, I should have given more options and posed the question differently. In my defence I posted shortly after the game and this place was in meltdown, as it had been since the team was announced, with plenty of comments about how “Arsenal were there for the taking” and how Potter’s team selection was a doesn’t care/clueless etc one. I guess I saw red, and was also very pissed of that we’d lost again.

Not being happy is a given I know and does not make anyone entitled because of it. I should have given a few more options but imo we do have quite a few entitled and vociferous fans these days though. It is nowhere near the whole fanbase though :shrug:

Fair enough too. Not much fun being a Brighton fan at the moment.So frustrating.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Yes, yes we do.

We're off form. But we're still not in the bottom three.

Some of the bed-wetting has been so over the top I was expecting Ru-Paul to mince out of my screen.

How anyone with a modicum of sense/understanding of our history/the game itself can 'threaten' to not renew their season ticket, off with his head etc is astounding.

Before anyone says 'we don't like losing', 'it's not good enough' etc, what do you actually expect from supporting the Albion?

If we'd collectively showed this entitled, reactionary, bed-wetting bullshit attitude during the troubles there would be no Albion - simple as that.

There certainly needs to be a collective kick up the arse behind the scenes, and maybe a lot less tinkering from the boss but, FFS, it could be so much worse.

You win some, you lose some. If you're a JCL and don't like it, go back to shouting at a pub TV about a club you've never seen live.

UTA.

Spot on and the best post I have read in 2021, well done. Think all club fans have expectations, but after our history, it's quite remarkable that some fans just don't get it. Be thankful for wonderful community football club punching well above their weight. Enjoy the ride, it could be a lot worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Please expand? I gave you four lengthy paragraphs :laugh:

Just the red herring title bit ?

The rest of your post answers my original question with a resounding No
And indeed covers a broad spectrum of supporters within your circles
I just wondered if the split was possibly along those lines
Perhaps not it seems

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Quite possibly yes. But there seems to be some massive over-reacting from some seasoned veterans as well.
I do think we are in serious trouble of become a bit entitled.

Conversely, what if the seasoned veterans are reading the situation correctly and can smell a relegation a mile off, what if they can see that the manager is losing his way and the players are losing faith?
Is there any possibility whatsoever that they might not be ‘over-reacting’ but many others are simply not grasping the situation in hand?

Just a thought.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just the red herring title bit ?

The rest of your post answers my original question with a resounding No
And indeed covers a broad spectrum of supporters within your circles
I just wondered if the split was possibly along those lines
Perhaps not it seems

Sorry, I mean the whole idea of a split along age / length of time going to games is not supported by the vote data, at least based on people that I either know personally or have posted on here for a long time. The age split was the "red herring".

Not the clearest phrase but then I was half a bottle of good sake and a couple of whiskys down.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry, I mean the whole idea of a split along age / length of time going to games is not supported by the vote data, at least based on people that I either know personally or have posted on here for a long time. The age split was the "red herring".

Not the clearest phrase but then I was half a bottle of good sake and a couple of whiskys down.

You can thank me for making it a public poll anytime you like :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here