Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we now have a fecking Entitled fanbase?

Do we now have an entitled fanbase

• Total voters

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
I don't disagree. That wasn't my question though. Take CP out of the equation and is it entitled as [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] claims to be annoyed that we are not competing with similarly sized clubs. Wolves may be "bankrolled" but Tony is no peasant. They've done what [MENTION=23795]Hugo Rune[/MENTION] says will take five years in one season. I'm not saying we should be beating "teams like.....". I'm not saying we should be beating Liverpool and City week in, week out. I'm not even saying we should be top 10 this season as claimed. I'm saying there are other similarly sized and resourced clubs who we are not even close to be competing with. Entitled or merely thinking that the point in sport is to win?

This...:shrug:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I agree, about 23000 fans have only seen us doing quite well and even if they are not newbies they buggered off last time we were shit too. I am convinced and have been for years that we have a hardcore of about 8K. The rest will drift away once we are a bit shit, which apparently we are now :shrug:

TB’s biggest problem will be keeping the season ticket sales up with Covid and what looks like being a season of survival and maybe even relegation.

From a ticket sales point of view, I think a relegation battle sells more tickets than mid table nothingness.

Look at Stoke/Charlton/WBA all safe PL sides but wanted to change the style to sell more tickets.

Ended up going down.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
You say he got the best out of what was available. You think he got the best out of Bissouma? What about Locadia? Came in, scored two goals and was promptly dropped and nearly always played out of position. Never gave any youngsters a chance.

I will say he was one of our best managers but, personally, I'd put Mullery ahead of him. However, Hughton chose to set up not to lose although we frequently did. He was a master at getting the team to park the bus. He had to go and it certainly was a knee jerk reaction.

Locadia was poor, it wasn't going to get anymore out of that guy.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From a ticket sales point of view, I think a relegation battle sells more tickets than mid table nothingness.

Look at Stoke/Charlton/WBA all safe PL sides but wanted to change the style to sell more tickets.

Ended up going down.

We have had a well regarded thread on here about how people are falling out of love with Albion/football because of VAR etc but I think most will fall out of love with Albion the longer we are PL strugglers, seldom winning games and not scoring for fun. Brighton have, as long as I’ve followed them, had great crowds when things are going well but dramatically reduced once we struggled. It’s not anything new.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Personally I just like to see a team that gives a $££$% and wins a few games

Last time I saw us win was the Andone goal re the 1-0 Huddersfield home game - March 2019 I think

Since when I have managed to see only draws and defeats prior to the UK shutdown

Not sure I would class liking to see us win more than one game per year as entitled

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We have had a well regarded thread on here about how people are falling out of love with Albion/football because of VAR etc but I think most will fall out of love with Albion the longer we are PL strugglers, seldom winning games and not scoring for fun. Brighton have, as long as I’ve followed them, had great crowds when things are going well but dramatically reduced once we struggled. It’s not anything new.

I didn’t see that thread to be fair

I guess each fan base is different, I wonder if Brighton are in the mid table position for a few years that view would change?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Is it entitled to think we should be doing better than similar sized clubs? To put some examples on it:

Wolves (latest average home league attendance 31,000) - in the last five seasons they finished way behind us in the first two and played in a lower league the season after. Since then they have finished seventh twice.

Leicester (average attendance 31,800) - stated to be a very similar club to us by none other than Paul Hayward, Leicester won the league the season after having finished 14th with a certain Ulloa as top scorer. It was their second season back in the top flight. Since then they have had three top ten finishes in the last four and are on target to repeat that.

Southampton (average attendance 29,365) - 11th in the Premier League last season and heading for top ten this.

Palace (yes, I know) - Brighton have not finished above Palace in well over five years despite supposedly being better run and set up, actually having a new stadium, never mind a new stand and Palace having a striker who appeared to be the laughing stock of the league before Newcastle bought Joelinton.

These are sides we should be competing with very closely, and yet it is going to take another five years to get in their slipstream? And, let's take Roy and Palace2010 out of the equation, they have pulled away from us without playing hoofball, whilst either developing tons of youngsters (Saints), buying actual bargains (Leicester) or having a tightly managed philosophy (Wolves, it is different to ours, but nonetheless there is a "Wolves Way"). And none of them have employed Allerdyce, Pards, Pulis or, indeed, Smug Eddie.

Football is a sport and sport is a results business. It is also an art with (normally) a paying audience who deserve value for money.

It is a bit entitled to think we should be doing better than all of those teams.

Where do you think we stand in comparison to those teams in terms of budget?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I want to know what has happened to the team that moved the ball quickly, we've stopped doing it.

Tinkering and especially dropping players that have just played well is utter madness.

No continuity lead to inconsistency.

Behind his back the players must be questioning the selection process, players like Alzate play one game then disappear and last night to play so many "fringe" players at the same time frankly is stupidity

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well come on then! Prove me wrong. Let's see NSC get behind the squad for a few weeks.

I’m pro Potter.

But it’s insulting to call supporters p*ssed off with Potter, or the club, or some players, as lacking passion.

They’re as passionate about the club as us, they want the team to succeed as much as us.

NSC uniting for January won’t get the club wins. We’re not as important as you think we are.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I’m pro Potter.

But it’s insulting to call supporters p*ssed off with Potter, or the club, or some players, as lacking passion.

They’re as passionate about the club as us, they want the team to succeed as much as us.

NSC uniting for January won’t get the club wins. We’re not as important as you think we are.

Given the strength of feeling we are probably better off playing without a braying crowd at home

It would be Hyypia Millwall levels imo

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Given the strength of feeling we are probably better off playing without a braying crowd at home

Yeah It's interesting. I don't think NSC is a particularly true reflection of the Amex crowd, but the Amex crowd can be a particularly distasteful bunch.
I'm trying to remember how unpleasant it ever got at Withdean. The stand behind the dugouts could have become a very volatile place on a bad run given it's proximity to the staff and players, but I'm not sure it ever did? I remember real anger at opposition managers, players, the ref etc.
Maybe i'm looking back with rose tinted glasses.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think most of us apart from the strange people who infest this place nowadays know our place.

We know if it wasn’t for bloom, we wouldn’t be anywhere near where we are and we also know that even with the purchase of so many new players in the last year or two, we are really a side that flatter to deceive and are basically not up to it....luck or not.

I also think we are, hoping there are 3 worse teams than us who will keep us in the division and postpone the inevitable drop. AS we can’t beat anyone at the moment, I think we are all realists and to that end this will be the season.

What really does make it all the more galling is the gumph from the club saying we have our best ever side who will be challenging for around 10th. That seems as likely as potter getting manager of the year!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yeah It's interesting. I don't think NSC is a particularly true reflection of the Amex crowd, but the Amex crowd can be a particularly distasteful bunch.
I'm trying to remember how unpleasant it ever got at Withdean. The stand behind the dugouts could have become a very volatile place on a bad run given it's proximity to the staff and players, but I'm not sure it ever did? I remember real anger at opposition managers, players, the ref etc.
Maybe i'm looking back with rose tinted glasses.

McGhee got absolute shit from the Withdean crowd at the end of his last season. MA mark 2 as well I think

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I left Bmuff 0-5 and the 2019 others well before the final whistle .... bad fan.

Was there any anger at the end of those losses?

Probably diluted, as literally just 10k of the 31k remaining in the stadium.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I left Bmuff 0-5 and the 2019 others well before the final whistle .... bad fan.

Was there any anger at the end of those losses?

Probably diluted, as literally just 10k of the 31k remaining in the stadium.

No idea, I walked out of the Bournemouth game at 0-3. I have no recollection of the crowd reaction for Saints and Cardiff. I was at anger levels of NSC last night when the team was announced and saw red so took no notice.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
McGhee got absolute shit from the Withdean crowd at the end of his last season. MA mark 2 as well I think

There was a game with Adams MK2 where he was playing someone like Hinsh or Virgo on the right wing, I remember that being quite tetchy. There was times during his second spell where it wasn't tinkering, or trying something out, it was just deranged. So strange all that.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Big difference for me is that we were woeful for pretty much all of Hyppia's reign. The frustration with Potter is that we seem to be going backwards. We have seen some great performances under him, not always getting the results, but dominant performances. Now people are watching the selections, the pedestrian football, and are scratching their heads at how it is turning out this way

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No idea, I walked out of the Bournemouth game at 0-3. I have no recollection of the crowd reaction for Saints and Cardiff. I was at anger levels of NSC last night when the team was announced and saw red so took no notice.

Snap, I left at 3-0. I was stunned to find multi 1000’s running to trains and buses on 74 minutes, I had naively thought it would be just me and the usual ESL hordes.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Big difference for me is that we were woeful for pretty much all of Hyppia's reign. The frustration with Potter is that we seem to be going backwards. We have seen some great performances under him, not always getting the results, but dominant performances. Now people are watching the selections, the pedestrian football, and are scratching their heads at how it is turning out this way

Yeah i'm with you on that, that's definitely part of it. Hyppia was just, wow. And because he was from Liverpool and had such a stellar career, pundits and the media and neutrals were all loving him and the whole thing just felt very odd. Like, are you actually seeing what's going on?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here