Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we now have a fecking Entitled fanbase?

Do we now have an entitled fanbase

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
After 3 promotions in four seasons, starting from the bottom tier, and with a tiny budget.

Yeah but other than that?

We have been here for four seasons, we have a right to expect much better than we are getting. We should be comfortably established and beating everyone in the bottom half of the table by now.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
After 3 promotions in four seasons, starting from the bottom tier, and with a tiny budget.

If you'd spent four years in minus 25 temperatures wearing nothing but a training bib and a pair of football shorts you'd have a tiny budget too. :mad:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is it entitled to think we should be doing better than similar sized clubs? To put some examples on it:

Wolves (latest average home league attendance 31,000) - in the last five seasons they finished way behind us in the first two and played in a lower league the season after. Since then they have finished seventh twice.

Leicester (average attendance 31,800) - stated to be a very similar club to us by none other than Paul Hayward, Leicester won the league the season after having finished 14th with a certain Ulloa as top scorer. It was their second season back in the top flight. Since then they have had three top ten finishes in the last four and are on target to repeat that.

Southampton (average attendance 29,365) - 11th in the Premier League last season and heading for top ten this.

Palace (yes, I know) - Brighton have not finished above Palace in well over five years despite supposedly being better run and set up, actually having a new stadium, never mind a new stand and Palace having a striker who appeared to be the laughing stock of the league before Newcastle bought Joelinton.

These are sides we should be competing with very closely, and yet it is going to take another five years to get in their slipstream? And, let's take Roy and Palace2010 out of the equation, they have pulled away from us without playing hoofball, whilst either developing tons of youngsters (Saints), buying actual bargains (Leicester) or having a tightly managed philosophy (Wolves, it is different to ours, but nonetheless there is a "Wolves Way"). And none of them have employed Allerdyce, Pards, Pulis or, indeed, Smug Eddie.

Football is a sport and sport is a results business. It is also an art with (normally) a paying audience who deserve value for money.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Is it entitled to think we should be doing better than similar sized clubs? To put some examples on it:

Wolves (latest average home league attendance 31,000) - in the last five seasons they finished way behind us in the first two and played in a lower league the season after. Since then they have finished seventh twice.

Leicester (average attendance 31,800) - stated to be a very similar club to us by none other than Paul Hayward, Leicester won the league the season after having finished 14th with a certain Ulloa as top scorer. It was their second season back in the top flight. Since then they have had three top ten finishes in the last four and are on target to repeat that.

Southampton (average attendance 29,365) - 11th in the Premier League last season and heading for top ten this.

Palace (yes, I know) - Brighton have not finished above Palace in well over five years despite supposedly being better run and set up, actually having a new stadium, never mind a new stand and Palace having a striker who appeared to be the laughing stock of the league before Newcastle bought Joelinton.

These are sides we should be competing with very closely, and yet it is going to take another five years to get in their slipstream? And, let's take Roy and Palace2010 out of the equation, they have pulled away from us without playing hoofball, whilst either developing tons of youngsters (Saints), buying actual bargains (Leicester) or having a tightly managed philosophy (Wolves, it is different to ours, but nonetheless there is a "Wolves Way"). And none of them have employed Allerdyce, Pards, Pulis or, indeed, Smug Eddie.

Football is a sport and sport is a results business. It is also an art with (normally) a paying audience who deserve value for money.

The Wolves way is to be bank-rolled by investors.
Leicester have made some great signings and made big profits. They also have more cash to splash.
Southampton produce quality young players. Brighton are just reaching the point where some young talent is starting to come through.
I'm sure Palace are paying wages beyond sustainable levels. Zaha and Townsend will not be on small wages.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What he did say was that we were aiming to be a top 10 Premier League team. For me, the time lines were of the same order of how long it took us to be promoted from the Championship (5 years) but the entitled minority took that ambitious statement and re-wrote in their own minds for this season instead. No wonder they are all so angry.

But don’t get carried away by that argument. Unfortunately NSC can often be like American politics ie most people coalescing around two extreme positions and the debate becomes abusive and intolerant. You do need to acknowledge that there are also quite a few posters who are reluctantly calling on Potter to go but who also have no problem with Tony’s long term plan and certainly have no expectation that we will be top 10 any time soon. It is a convenient stick with which to bash all those calling for a change of manager but it’s not really true.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Haven't you heard the latest one? Diego Costa. And in the summer it was Giroud.
Do us a favour. Those type of players aren't joining.
What we actually need is a group of staff who can improve and get the best out of our players.

You're also forgetting there were a few who wanted to spunk in excess of £20m on Brewster!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Simple, no win at home all season and one win at home in 2020, Potter is an arrogant prick with a bullet proof contract from Bloom.

Hughton managed 6 home wins in the first half of the 2018/19 season we were virtually safe by Feb. Hughton's sacking was knee jerk

and will come back to haunt Bloom.

Just bore off. Hughton was hopeless before the end of his second PL season. His whole approach was the most negative I've ever seen an Albion team play. As for Potter, don't think anyone other than the Hughton fan club would describe him as arrogant.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Wolves way is to be bank-rolled by investors.
Leicester have made some great signings and made big profits. They also have more cash to splash.
Southampton produce quality young players. Brighton are just reaching the point where some young talent is starting to come through.
I'm sure Palace are paying wages beyond sustainable levels. Zaha and Townsend will not be on small wages.

And Benteke and Sakho.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I could bang on about Archer, Gillingham etc etc but I’ll just ask the question anyway

I think the issue is since the move to the Amex it’s been mainly positive seasons, even the Hypia season was a success in staying up.

Whilst there was a couple of failures in the play offs, getting into them was a success at the time, also means far more wins than defeats.

The premier league means a lot more defeats and backs to the wall football, something that wasn’t seen for a few seasons.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

They all have in common, for varying reasons ...decent or amazing player recruitment.

CP make so many transfer blunders, but they'll literally do anything at the end of a transfer window to stay up, even if with loanees. They were Championship bound in Jan'17, but new manager Fat Sam got Parish to spend eye watering sums on buys and loanees. Fine margins.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Just bore off. Hughton was hopeless before the end of his second PL season. His whole approach was the most negative I've ever seen an Albion team play. As for Potter, don't think anyone other than the Hughton fan club would describe him as arrogant.

Hyypia's dog turd football was worse mate and nearly sent us into oblivion, let me make this clear Hughton was probably our best manager of all time,

he got the best out of what was at his disposal, but his day has come and gone.

Potter has better players but isn't getting the best out of them, only time will tell if Potter is the answer, his home record is a bit dodgy to say the least.

Sorry for being so boring..:p

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They all have in common, for varying reasons ...decent or amazing player recruitment.

CP make so many transfer blunders, but they'll literally do anything at the end of a transfer window to stay up, even if with loanees. They were Championship bound in Jan'17, but new manager Fat Sam got Parish to spend eye watering sums on buys and loanees. Fine margins.

I don't disagree. That wasn't my question though. Take CP out of the equation and is it entitled as [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] claims to be annoyed that we are not competing with similarly sized clubs. Wolves may be "bankrolled" but Tony is no peasant. They've done what [MENTION=23795]Hugo Rune[/MENTION] says will take five years in one season. I'm not saying we should be beating "teams like.....". I'm not saying we should be beating Liverpool and City week in, week out. I'm not even saying we should be top 10 this season as claimed. I'm saying there are other similarly sized and resourced clubs who we are not even close to be competing with. Entitled or merely thinking that the point in sport is to win?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't disagree. That wasn't my question though. Take CP out of the equation and is it entitled as [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] claims to be annoyed that we are not competing with similarly sized clubs. Wolves may be "bankrolled" but Tony is no peasant. They've done what [MENTION=23795]Hugo Rune[/MENTION] says will take five years in one season. I'm not saying we should be beating "teams like.....". I'm not saying we should be beating Liverpool and City week in, week out. I'm not even saying we should be top 10 this season as claimed. I'm saying there are other similarly sized and resourced clubs who we are not even close to be competing with. Entitled or merely thinking that the point in sport is to win?

Despite the muck thrown at you by one or two, I don't think you've acted as entitled. As I said in an early post in this thread, entitled would be "I demand that we win EPL home games. TB/PB have let me down when we lose.".

Isn't football about walking away (or virtually with CV19) from The Amex with a Readibrek-esque glow after a win, more than occasionally? Your weekend made.

Back to my point, fine margins, imho we're a LB and striker away from flying up the table. I'm not demanding that TB injects £40m this weekend to fund that. Perhaps inventiveness in the transfer and loan market? Stains took Ings on loan, with a view to a permanent signing, as a good example.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hyypia's dog turd football was worse mate and nearly sent us into oblivion, let me make this clear Hughton was probably our best manager of all time,

he got the best out of what was at his disposal, but his day has come and gone.

Potter has better players but isn't getting the best out of them, only time will tell if Potter is the answer, his home record is a bit dodgy to say the least.

Sorry for being so boring..:p

You say he got the best out of what was available. You think he got the best out of Bissouma? What about Locadia? Came in, scored two goals and was promptly dropped and nearly always played out of position. Never gave any youngsters a chance.

I will say he was one of our best managers but, personally, I'd put Mullery ahead of him. However, Hughton chose to set up not to lose although we frequently did. He was a master at getting the team to park the bus. He had to go and it certainly was a knee jerk reaction.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
No passion on here. Just moaning and the classic "I will support when we start doing well" comments.

:lol: You’re utterly clueless.
Passion is the reason why so many people on here are becoming frustrated, they can’t stand seeing the club they love doing so poorly and heading towards the trap door. Do you really think these folk weren’t sat there last night praying for a win, hoping to see signs of improvement. I’m not sure what you’ve decided your definition of passion is but I’d suggest you broaden your understanding of the meaning.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the issue is since the move to the Amex it’s been mainly positive seasons, even the Hypia season was a success in staying up.

Whilst there was a couple of failures in the play offs, getting into them was a success at the time, also means far more wins than defeats.

The premier league means a lot more defeats and backs to the wall football, something that wasn’t seen for a few seasons.

I agree, about 23000 fans have only seen us doing quite well and even if they are not newbies they buggered off last time we were shit too. I am convinced and have been for years that we have a hardcore of about 8K. The rest will drift away once we are a bit shit, which apparently we are now :shrug:

TB’s biggest problem will be keeping the season ticket sales up with Covid and what looks like being a season of survival and maybe even relegation.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
You say he got the best out of what was available. You think he got the best out of Bissouma? What about Locadia? Came in, scored two goals and was promptly dropped and nearly always played out of position. Never gave any youngsters a chance.

I will say he was one of our best managers but, personally, I'd put Mullery ahead of him. However, Hughton chose to set up not to lose although we frequently did. He was a master at getting the team to park the bus. He had to go and it certainly was a knee jerk reaction.

Agreed he had to go, so we are where we are, praying for the next home win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here