Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Do we need a General Strike?

Do we need a General Strike and force a General Election?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Not at all - never said anything like that. Just the amount she was taxed was insane.
Have you checked if it is correct? I sometimes get quarterly bonuses, and when I get one HMRC often assume that this is the amount I will now receive for every month for the rest of the year, and tax me as if it is. If you call HMRC they will sort it out, they're actually pretty helpful once you get through.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
That's the way PAYE works. If you get £2K normal salary in April (Month 1) and a £10K annual bonus also in April then PAYE thinks you are earning £144,000 a year and so clobber you for 40% / 45% tax on two-thirds of it.

However, in Month 2 when your gross income returns to £2K then PAYE will adjust downwards and the tax over-deducted will start coming back to the employee via higher net pay. In my example, by Month 12 the employee will have earned £34K and ALL of punitive tax will have been repaid by the end of the tax year.

Yeah this is how it works for me with my occasional yearly bonus (although it tips me in to the upper bracket rather than top bracket!)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Do we need a General Strike?​

Nah, we need UK workers to take their cue from French workers and get angry and start burning stuff. Only language governments understand. Tho hmgov will have already factored in that UK workers are too meek and mild and generally subservient to ever do that :rolleyes:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Do we need a General Strike?​

Nah, we need UK workers to take their cue from French workers and get angry and start burning stuff. Only language governments understand. Tho hmgov will have already factored in that UK workers are too meek and mild and generally subservient to ever do that :rolleyes:
A general strike would be far more effective than burning stuff - the reason that happens in France is that only about 8% of the French workforce are in trade unions - less than a quarter of that in the UK. A general strike in the UK would cripple transport, communications and energy and would collapse the Tory government within hours.

The problem is that the TUC leadership are right-wing Blairites who won't get off their a*ses because they know they would not be able to control any movement that would emerge from a general strike - a strike that would catapult the likes of Sharon Graham, Mick Lynch, Dave Ward, Mark Serwotka and Matt Wrack into the leadership of the TUC, shifting it significantly to the left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here