Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we have a title challenging First XI?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I keep saying it - Barnes haters are wierd.

People seem to just ignore all the facts. Barnes was in our 1st team and scoring goals at an age when most players are still struggling to get out of the development squad - JFC for example. He consistantly scores goals at every level, gives his all every game and does evectly what is asked of him by the management - which has been to his own detriment.

:clap2:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You either have issues counting, or you're incredibly ignorant. With the formations we play, 3 strikers are enough IMO!

And what happens if heaven forbid, OG doesn't actually play just one way and decides to change formation half way though a game, or due to injuries and suspensions???...What happens if Barnes gets sent off first game of the season and Ulloa picks up a knock???....If you think two fit strikers is enough to start a season with, I suggest it's not me that is ignorant. You should try looking in the mirror.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We do indeed need another striker. At the moment we have Barker and Dickenson on the bench. Not sufficient quality.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We do indeed need another striker. At the moment we have Barker and Dickenson on the bench. Not sufficient quality.

100%....Goalscorers win you titles, goalscorers get you promotions. That's why they cost the most. Having the best keeper and defence just stops you losing many and the end result without a goalscorer is you end up drawing to many and under achieving as a team......Which is exactly what happened last season.....Ok we got Ulloa and had a great end to the season, but the horse had bolted already. Another striker should be the priority now, along with a left back.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Look, I don't want to be the moaning old woman here, but can you spare us that sort of stuff? It's a horrible expression.

Totally agree. And I'm a bloke.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What makes you think he's suddenly going to turn into a good player? He'll be a frustrating misfit once again I'm afraid

What? Wasn't CMS our top scorer last season having missed a large chunk of it?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I keep saying it - Barnes haters are wierd.

People seem to just ignore all the facts. Barnes was in our 1st team and scoring goals at an age when most players are still struggling to get out of the development squad - JFC for example. He consistantly scores goals at every level, gives his all every game and does evectly what is asked of him by the management - which has been to his own detriment.

CMS haters are weird AS WELL.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Title? I think it would be a pretty good achievement, given the upheaval over the summer, if we were to make the top six again.

I'm not lacking in ambition, and I want us to do well, but none of us have any idea how the new manager's ideas are going to work here, we've lost some decent players (primarily Bridge), and happily got rid of some weak links (Painter, Dobbie etc). Other sides will improve, some of them are spending money, and then you have the likes of QPR who are determined to buy their way out of here using the parachute payments. We just don't know what impact the loss of Poyet will have, annoying and negative though he may have been at times. Most of the players at the club were brought here by him, so the great unknown is how players will respond to the new man.

I'm not saying we shouldn't hope for great things, merely that it would still be an achievement in the circumstances to finish in the to:thumbsup:p six, and anyone who starts making disgruntled noises if we're tenth in October needs to have a word with themselves.

:thumbsup:
couldn't have put it better myself!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Top 6 is the target. Below that is under-achievement

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Top 6 is the target. Below that is under-achievement

Yep,,,,and seeing as our chairman has publicly said as much, I think we can take it as red, that is the target. But i'm sure some people will have a different view from the guy that owns the club.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Garry Birtles in his piece on The SSN website doesn't even give The Albion a mention QPR,Reading,Wigan,Watford,Forest and Bolton are his choices, thought he might have given us a bit of a leg up after last season.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Garry Birtles in his piece on The SSN website doesn't even give The Albion a mention QPR,Reading,Wigan,Watford,Forest and Bolton are his choices, thought he might have given us a bit of a leg up after last season.

He must have given that a lot of thought. I bet last year he said, Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton would be top six. Being a pundit is the easiest job in the world, most of them just state the bleeding obvious instead of actually doing some research and coming up with something original.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
What? Wasn't CMS our top scorer last season having missed a large chunk of it?

This. Some people on here ignore the facts, CMS is better playing with another forward and was played up front on his own for the majority of the time before he got injured. Give the bloke a chance. You could play RVP up front and with the tactics we played last season he would have struggled to score double figures. The reason we finished so high was because we were sound defensively not because we scored a shed load of goals. We scored ten in two games take those away and the goals for column didn't look so good, but that was down to chances created not missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here